View Full Version : Best Hitter?

MaxOverlord
05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Here's a scenario. World Series Game 7. Man on 2nd. Bottom of the 9th. Two out. Out of any current player A.L or N.L who do you put up to bat and why?

brotherdoobie
05-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Barry Bonds. Steroids are not...he's hawt right now. (now)

bd

j2k4
05-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I'd have to go with Bonds. :sick:

I assume you can sense my regret.

DefX
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Since its the bottom of the 9th in a game 7 WS, we can assume that the hitter is facing a premium closer. If its Bond's, most likely, they'll also put the infield shift on and I just dont like those prospects.

My pick would be Pujol's. I would even pick Big Papi Ortiz first b4 Bonds for his uncanny ability to deliver in the clutch (And Im a Yankee fan!)

Busyman™
05-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Bonds.

A. Rod is my second choice this year.

MaxOverlord
05-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I would probably pick Pujols*
*see Brad Lidge.
I thought of Damon just for the fact that he always puts the bat on the ball.
There is always Manny too. He always connects.
I thought of putting Rivera in this question and having the scenario be he had lights out stuff. That would be an even tastier scenario,if unfair.

JunkBarMan
05-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Maglio Ordonez, check last year's ALCS vs. Oakland.

Yeah it's a homer pick, Love the Tigers, but he's still pretty good.

j2k4
05-16-2007, 10:03 PM
You know what, though?

Put Bonds in that situation, where he's looking to put the ball safely in play (this requires, of course, that he realize for that particular at-bat he isn't chasing the HR record), I'd still take him; he's that good a hitter.

Kudos to the other choices, but...

MaxOverlord
05-16-2007, 10:49 PM
You know what, though?

Put Bonds in that situation, where he's looking to put the ball safely in play (this requires, of course, that he realize for that particular at-bat he isn't chasing the HR record), I'd still take him; he's that good a hitter.

Kudos to the other choices, but...

I've seen many at-bats by Bonds where he looks visibly upset that he didn't hit a homer. I think maybe he just wants to get it over with. He is something to be seen for sure. Bat speed is still unbelievable...and a very good eye(obviously). Maybe I've seen Pujols beat my Cubs once too often. I'd like to shoot him most of the time but I'd still put him up if I needed someone to lay it on the line with. They both have great discipline. Maybe they could mud wrestle for the at-bat. Oh...just had a visual...sorry.:sick:

Maglio Ordonez, check last year's ALCS vs. Oakland.

Yeah it's a homer pick, Love the Tigers, but he's still pretty good.

Ordonez is a good choice. Maybe if the Tigers make it back this year they'll remember to show up. I was made an ass of by many a friend(I picked the Tigers in 5):shutup:

qwertypoiuyt
05-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Pujols (and I'm a Cubs fan). He's the best hitter in the game, can go the other way (unlike Bonds and Ortiz) and is still fast enough to beat out an infield hit if he screws up. Also, he's really hard to strike out.

MaxOverlord
05-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Pujols (and I'm a Cubs fan). He's the best hitter in the game, can go the other way (unlike Bonds and Ortiz) and is still fast enough to beat out an infield hit if he screws up. Also, he's really hard to strike out.

Glad to hear you struggle with me!(Cubs fan also)

SpiderPig
06-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Assuming the man on 2nd is very fast (Ichiro/Jeter fast), I'll take either Big Papi or Derek Jeter (though I'm a strong Yankees hater). Ortiz is the best clutch hitters in baseball, while Jeter is a strong second. Ortiz can hit for power or can line a single or double down the line, while Jeter can definately advanced the man on 2nd with a blooper or even that walk off HR

Bonds will strikeout or get walked
A Rod will be his usual gay self, choke, and get stricken out
Pujols isn't playing the best this season, and he is definitely not a clutch hitter.

And based on THIS season's performances, I'd also consider Prince Fielder.. The guy has massive power

Flammenwerfer
06-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Not current but Mickey Mantle anyway- Barry bonds doesnt deserve to hold this guys jockstrap.
Current players are a bunch of nancies - where have the real men gone?

honesty
06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
I gotta take Pujols...

or Big Papi

maddog123
07-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Alex Rodriguez. Being a BIG Yankees fan I'd go with him.

Busyman™
07-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I gotta take Pujols...

or Big Papi

I love this.:lol:

bUwJAkVbAHA

tj1182
07-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Jeter (I'm a Mets fan) everyone remembers those clutch hits in playoffs and WS, espescially the one in the 2001 WS off of Byung yung Kim.

bd

If it was in the scenario as the above poster posted, anyone in their right mind will walk Bonds with first base open.:cool:

GenesisJLS
07-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Ryan Howard

DefX
07-25-2007, 09:49 PM

bd

If it was in the scenario as the above poster posted, anyone in their right mind will walk Bonds with first base open.:cool:

hell, buck showalter even intentionally walked him with the bases loaded once. :blink:

SpiderPig
07-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Furrie.. of course.. Bonds was a beast

Once he laid of the 'roids, he kinda sucks

LiMuBai
07-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I would say Manny Ramirez since hes getting hot again and eats up pressure like a snackbar. I'm a big fan of A-Rod, minus yankees, but he hasn't proven himself in the playoffs.

blEnder
08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Well Bonds would be intentionally walked with 1st base open. Most great batters probably would.

But assuming that the other team HAS to pitch to someone, I'd take Derek Jeter. He's not the most powerful or even the best hitter, but he won't make a bad out. He rarely strikes out and has the speed to beat out a ball. Plus he is clutch. I'm a Yankee hater, but I have to give him his due.

David Ortiz is a good option as well, but Jeter's speed (in relation to Ortiz') does it for me. It isn't like a HR is needed, just a base hit should score the run from second. If a HR is needed, I'd take Puljos.

brotherdoobie
08-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Well Bonds would be intentionally walked with 1st base open. Most great batters probably would.

But assuming that the other team HAS to pitch to someone, I'd take Derek Jeter. He's not the most powerful or even the best hitter, but he won't make a bad out. He rarely strikes out and has the speed to beat out a ball. Plus he is clutch. I'm a Yankee hater, but I have to give him his due.

David Ortiz is a good option as well, but Jeter's speed (in relation to Ortiz') does it for me. It isn't like a HR is needed, just a base hit should score the run from second. If a HR is needed, I'd take Puljos.

Fair point. Well presented.

-bd

peat moss
08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Oh man I need new glasses ,I read this as Best Hitler and thought should be in the Drawing Room . These days I'd take the Canuck kid Justin Morneau .

AmpeD
08-07-2007, 10:21 PM
bonds makes me sick and is the reason i no longer am a fan of pro baseball. I would pick someone like miguel cabrera who is a clutch hitter with the rbis and not necessarily the hr's

WhiteWizard20
09-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I'd have to pick Derek Jeter. Good contact, rarely strikes out, very good speed and he seems to do better under pressure. Plus, he has experience in the playoffs and the world series. Btw, he won 4 championships already.