PDA

View Full Version : Voice track on audio greatly attentuated...

j2k4
05-20-2007, 12:29 AM
...relative to the musical scoring.

Here's the deal:

I DLed the Planet Earth BBC series as a series of 5 (Magic) ISO files and mounted two of them.

The narrative voice of Richard Attenborough is almost completely subsumed within the rest of the audio spectrum; while I'm listening to the beautiful accompanying musical score, I can barely discern the narration, nevermind understand it...I've noted that a "how they filmed it" section of the first disk is normally intelligible, but when the content returns to the larger subject, the voice is obscured again.

In all other respects, the sound/music is stupendous, and the photography is astounding.

I really don't want to watch this with subtitles...is there any way to salvage them, or do I have to DL them again? :huh:

Appzalien
05-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Don't download from the same source, its likely the person who made the files butchered the process and did'nt check before he rushed to upload. All you can do, if they're the only ones, is to watch for an updated (fixed) version or use a source that has to be different (different file type or sizes). If you want to try, you can demux the audio and see if you can repair the narration but it wil only work if the voice and music are separate tracks as in 5.1 surround or right and left channels.

j2k4
05-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Don't download from the same source, its likely the person who made the files butchered the process and did'nt check before he rushed to upload. All you can do, if they're the only ones, is to watch for an updated (fixed) version or use a source that has to be different (different file type or sizes). If you want to try, you can demux the audio and see if you can repair the narration but it wil only work if the voice and music are separate tracks as in 5.1 surround or right and left channels.

Kinda what I was thinking, but your last intrigues me because I was thinking 5.1 might be why it happened/happens, and, as such, might be sorted.

It could also explain why the one section plays normally.

A first step might be to find a friend who has a soundcard that will accomodate 5.1 material...my poor little Audigy Z does not.

Skiz
05-20-2007, 10:10 PM
You're just having a rotten string of luck with this aren't you?

Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest clue how to fix the problem, but if you end up having to download another version, the one I downloaded from Torrentleech works perfectly. The torrent filename is - Planet Earth DVDR - PAL - Complete.torrent

j2k4
05-21-2007, 09:47 AM
You're just having a rotten string of luck with this aren't you?

Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest clue how to fix the problem, but if you end up having to download another version, the one I downloaded from Torrentleech works perfectly. The torrent filename is - Planet Earth DVDR - PAL - Complete.torrent

Well, I guess I'll look for that one tonight, then. :frusty:

Now: how's about a format converter so I can watch it on my Sony?

j2k4
05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Just re-checked.

That's the one I DLed. :(

Skiz
05-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Well, then let's troubleshot a different way, since I can confirm that's a good download.

How are you attempting to watch the files? Have you tried opening one of the ISO files with Videolan?

j2k4
05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Good call, Skiz - VLC works, so the files are intact. :)

The problem must be WMP, which I normally use out of sheer laziness.

So, then-

How to convert them to from PAL to what-is-it...Region 1? Something?

Skiz
05-24-2007, 02:12 AM

So, then-

DVDDecrypter should do that for you during the burn process. :)

j2k4
05-24-2007, 09:43 AM

So, then-

DVDDecrypter should do that for you during the burn process. :)

Excellent.

That'll be a project for the weekend at work, then.

Thanks, Skiz.