PDA

View Full Version : Migrate Firefox

lightshow
05-21-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm about to do a clean wipe of my machine and I want to keep all my firefox settings.

Mainly, I want to remember my cached passwords/cookies. I looked at my cookies folder in firefox's options, but it doesn't have an import/export function.

Any suggestions?

zapjb
05-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Just a silly one that might work.

With FF CLOSED. Copy & save this folder: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.

Your path might be different. Then switch out on clean install. Might work with some quirks.

100%
05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
@zapjb - that would be useless, your settings are held elsewhere, the program files contains merely the basic install of fox.

1. There is a fox extension to save all your settings - http://customsoftwareconsult.com/extensions/febe/febe.html

make sure to install the one with the added patch

FEBE v4.0.4 will not properly backup/restore usernames/passwords for Firefox 2.0.*. Firefox 2.0 changed the way usernames/passwords are stored. The file "signons.txt" was changed to "signons2.txt" (I have no idea why). FEBE 4.0.4p contains a patch that allows FEBE to properly handle usernames/passwords for all Firefox versions (1.5 - 2.0).

2. to be safe - simply save your entire fox profile
-goto
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\weirdletters.default
copy the entire folder to safe place.
it as all your settings.

3.Your passwords are kept in these files in your profile,
in there are 2 files
signons2.txt
and
key3.db

copy them over to your new profile folder which has been newly created after reinstall. (make sure firefox is closed)

Alternatively in Options just take a screen grab of your passwords.

clocker
05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Mozbackup. (http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php)

Install program on current machine and make a backup of the default Firefox profile. Ignore the warning about some extensions not working (all mine do). Save the resulting file to a disk/flashdrive, whatever.

Perform your new install and reinstall Firefox and Mozbackup.
Open Firefox once then close it.
Run Mozbackup and tell it to restore the default profile (point it to wherever you've saved the file).

Voila! Firefox will be exactly the way it was before...whole process takes under five minutes.

Note: You may have to change the default "save files to" in your downloads preferences if the PC's configuration has changed.

100%
05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
nice but
mozbackup does not seem to save passwords nor user interface preferences etc
or am i wrong?

tesco
05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
-goto
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\weirdletters.default
copy the entire folder to safe place.
it as all your settings.
Just incase, in Vista the path is:
c:\users\YOUR USERNAME\appdata\roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\weirdletters.default

clocker
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
nice but
or am i wrong?
You are wrong...it does (at least I'm pretty sure it does- it's been a while since I've had to use it...).

zapjb
05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
See I knew if I posted something silly. The experts would come.

peat moss
05-21-2007, 06:06 PM
See I knew if I posted something silly. The experts would come.

Umm you are one the experts ! ;) Windows is funny there's so many ways to fix problems, my fav is the reboot . :D

lightshow
05-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Hmm checked it out and it looks like it should do the trick. Then my I hit my snag. I'm using lolifox instead of firefox and it isn't detecting profiles correctly.

So I'm just going to save my bookmarks and just go back and create new cookies when I need them.

Thanks though!

clocker
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
You should have titled the thread "Migrating lolifox" then...I would have briefly scanned it, seen the title, said "WTF is lolifox?" and passed on.

Now I've wasted part of my daily pixel allocation talking about a program I've never heard of before.

j2k4
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
nice but
or am i wrong?
You are wrong...it does (at least I'm pretty sure it does- it's been a while since I've had to use it...).

Yeah-

Having done it a bunch lately, I would only add that you should update to the latest version of FF before you use Mozbackup (I'd like to buy a nice bottle of Wild Turkey for the guy who came up with it) in order to save any grief with extensions.

Mozbackup is the real deal.

Virtualbody1234
05-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Now I've wasted part of my daily pixel allocation talking about a program I've never heard of before.

So what's different this time? :idunno: