PDA

View Full Version : Feed the animals to the zoo...

jimbo12345
05-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Watch the video in this:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1266775,00.html

I've been to said zoo. I'm not a shy, easily offended person, but i walked out in horrror. They told me i could watch the tigers at feeding time. I asn't expecting that. I saw a goat and a chicken, pretty wrong.

Busyman™
05-22-2007, 01:41 PM
There are some things that are fucked up but I wish people would STFU when an animal gets fed to another animal.:ermm:

What the hell is the difference between a goat being fed to a tiger or a mouse being fed to a snake?

tralalala
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
It's exactly the same, but it becomes wrong if you do it to the joy of the visitors who pay to get in and see this "amazingly kewl thing". I think it's absolutely disgusting to take a cow, that yes, out in the wild would be eaten alive within 5 minutes of being in a tiger-infested area. Though, I believe it is in the wrong to make a show out of all the feeding. If you notice, there is horrific cruelty to chickens in that video, used to tease the tigers, while the chickens are probably frightened to death. It is wrong, disgusting, and frankly, that zoo should either feed the tigers at a different time so as not to have people enjoy out of the suffering of helpless animals, or, on the other hand, close the zoo and give the owners a lesson or two about basic animal treating.

jimbo12345
05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
It's exactly the same, but it becomes wrong if you do it to the joy of the visitors who pay to get in and see this "amazingly kewl thing". I think it's absolutely disgusting to take a cow, that yes, out in the wild would be eaten alive within 5 minutes of being in a tiger-infested area. Though, I believe it is in the wrong to make a show out of all the feeding. If you notice, there is horrific cruelty to chickens in that video, used to tease the tigers, while the chickens are probably frightened to death. It is wrong, disgusting, and frankly, that zoo should either feed the tigers at a different time so as not to have people enjoy out of the suffering of helpless animals, or, on the other hand, close the zoo and give the owners a lesson or two about basic animal treating.

Yes, the point isnt animals eating other animals. Its getting entertainemtn from it. It's not just that zoo, nearly all offer this service.

Those tigers were full, they arent hungry. It took 10 mins for the cow to die, if they were really into it, it'd be suffocated immediately.

Many parts of China, people dont have enough food. Give the cows and chickens to them.

Look at the joy those kids got from viewing this. it's wrong.

Busyman™
05-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Yes, the point isnt animals eating other animals. Its getting entertainemtn from it. It's not just that zoo, nearly all offer this service.

Those tigers were full, they arent hungry. It took 10 mins for the cow to die, if they were really into it, it'd be suffocated immediately.

Many parts of China, people dont have enough food. Give the cows and chickens to them.

I justed watched the piece.

I have no problem with joy part.

What the animals have to go through when trained to do tricks is a problem (but that's the same problem with all circuses with animals).

The cow being fed to tigers that were full is kinda fucked up but that is mere semantics to make your point. Another time, they killed the cow immediately.
You brought up chickens before like that's some typa sin.

You ever see how the chickens you eat are killed? It's verrrrry slow.

I'm not for the mistreatment of animals. However, I'm not gonna get bent outta shape over certain perceived problems.

They are animals ffs, not humans.

Why don't folks spend more energy on problems like humans being mistreated?:ermm:

Oh, animals can be cute and cuddly.

vidcc
05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
I hope you all boycott shows like the excellent Richard David Attenborough wildlife documentaries, or non of you go on safari type holidays.

Firstly I am not a fan of zoos. They are not totally objectionable when they are well run and do things like breeding endangered species for eventual release in the wild (this will have a point) or they are rescue centers. But the general captivity thing is not to my liking.

On the idea of feeding live prey to carnivores for the good of the carnivore:

A "good" zoo will have the animals interest in mind. Not just physical but mental as well. Has anyone ever seen a captive bear padding back and forth? Captivity drives them stir crazy. So a good zoo will make animals such as monkeys forage. They don't just put it in a bowl in a feeding area, they hide the food in the compound. This emulates the natural life (or at least tries to).

feeding carnivores live food is the equivalent. It's better for the carnivore. (perhaps the prey isn't so lucky).

On the idea of feeding live prey to carnivores for "entertainment":

What is the purpose of zoos as a spectacle?

Is it to see wild animals tamed, bored, sanitized and turned into cute and cuddly? Or is the reason (these days) to gain an educational experience of real nature in a controlled safe for human environment?

If your idea is the first, get a TV and watch your teddy bears with some nice relaxing music.

If it's the second, don't be offended by animals doing what they are supposed to do.

Nature needs to be respected and in some cases feared.

jimbo12345
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM

What the animals have to go through when trained to do tricks is a problem (but that's the same problem with all circuses with animals).

The cow being fed to tigers that were full is kinda fucked up but that is mere semantics to make your point. Another time, they killed the cow immediately.

I'm not for the mistreatment of animals. However, I'm not gonna get bent outta shape over certain perceived problems.

Why don't folks spend more energy on problems like humans being mistreated?:ermm:

I agree with what you are saying to a point. But, i don't know anywhere in the UK that killing an animal for food isn't instant, a bolt to the head or fried with electric i think. It's illegal.

i agree, either way, said cow and chicken would have been eaten anyway.

My point is this, animals are life. We are also life. Because we are human, doesnt necessarily give us the right to slaughter things for entertainment. Food, ok. Danger to us, ok. Make a kid laugh while its been butchered by a pack of full tigers?

And yes, the circus animals are poorly treated, as all over the world. I think my main reason was not to show something new, but to remind.

Busyman™
05-22-2007, 04:53 PM

I agree with what you are saying to a point. But, i don't know anywhere in the UK that killing an animal for food isn't instant, a bolt to the head or fried with electric i think. It's illegal.

My point is this, animals are life. We are also life. Because we are human, doesnt necessarily give us the right to slaughter things for entertainment. Food, ok. Danger to us, ok. Make a kid laugh while its been butchered by a pack of full tigers?

And yes, the circus animals are poorly treated, as all over the world. I think my main reason was not to show something new, but to remind.

It's hard to care to much about teh cute and cuddly when humans are being slaughtered.

That's all.

I don't view animal life in the same league as my own.

edit: I remember one of the Canadians on the forum talking about a bum he saw on the street with a dog as a pet. He was kinda bent outta shape cuz teh cute doggy was out in the cold.:dry:

jimbo12345
05-22-2007, 04:56 PM

It's hard to care to much about teh cute and cuddly when humans are being slaughtered.

That's all.

I don't view animal life in the same league as my own.

Nor do i. But when it's unneccesary, i take issue.

Maybe a lack of repect for all around us leads to lack of respect for the people that are beijng slaughtered.

And its not animals doing the slaughtering,

tralalala
05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
jimbo - I agree with you 100%. Very well said.

vidcc
05-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Are the tigers not going to eat the prey then?

Killing for food is not immoral but watching food being killed is? I'm sure the purpose is to educate more than gratuitous entertainment. The fact that it may sometimes (on the part of the viewer) be used for gratuitous entertainment is probably more the fault of our modern cleansed society where we have become squeamish because we hide the reality of our lifestyle out of sight.

ilw
05-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I hope you all boycott shows like the excellent Richard Attenborough wildlife documentaries.
think you meant his bro david

overall i find it hard to get too bothered by zoos in the west, i've never been to one which i thought was treating the animals cruelly, although the pens in one i went to in Sweden (I think) seemed pretty small. Having animals kill live prey does seem a bit unnecessarily cruel, but imo nowhere near as cruel as battery farming millions of chickens in the UK (and elsewhere) which we seem to be fine with

Busyman™
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
vid mentioned this and I was going to.

jimbo, you may as well not watch Discovery or National Geographic Channels.

Some of the other stuff I disagree with, like keeping animals in small ass cages or the zoo-chosis stuff where they don't have shit to do but well....shit.

The tigers on the other hand are simply doing what they do.

I remember Chris Rock said something like:

"Everybody's talking about the tiger went crazy on Roy (of Siegfried & Roy)."

"That tiger went...TIGER."

:glag:

I can't believe tralalala mentioned that the poor chickens were frightened.:ermm:

vidcc
05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
I hope you all boycott shows like the excellent Richard Attenborough wildlife documentaries.
think you meant his bro david

Yes you are correct, thanks for pointing that out (Although how he managed to film humans with dinosaurs is a mystery :unsure::P )

I shall correct my mistake

tralalala
05-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I can't believe tralalala mentioned that the poor chickens were frightened.:ermm:

better believe it then.. I just find it unnecessary to let visitors use helpless chickens as a teaser to tigers.. Its totally cruel, unnecessary, and plain stupid in my opinion.

Busyman™
05-22-2007, 10:26 PM

better believe it then.. I just find it unnecessary to let visitors use helpless chickens as a teaser to tigers.. Its totally cruel, unnecessary, and plain stupid in my opinion.

You are right. It is cruel to the Tigers.

lynx
05-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I think some of you have missed the point that the tigers were already overfed.

The action of providing live cattle and fowl for the tigers to maim and kill did not correspond in any way to the natural lifestyle of tigers. Tigers are normally solitary hunters, and when they catch their prey the prey is usually dead within seconds of being caught.

This video shows action which is purely for the titillation of the masses, and because it does not represent the natural behaviour of the tigers it is unlikely to provide them with much stimulation.

Given the opportunity, tigers will also try to eat humans.

Perhaps some of you who think this is a good idea would like to take your chances. I'm sure the crowd would find it entertaining.

Busyman™
05-23-2007, 12:05 AM

The action of providing live cattle and fowl for the tigers to maim and kill did not correspond in any way to the natural lifestyle of tigers. Tigers are normally solitary hunters, and when they catch their prey the prey is usually dead within seconds of being caught.

This video shows action which is purely for the titillation of the masses, and because it does not represent the natural behaviour of the tigers it is unlikely to provide them with much stimulation.

Perhaps some of you who think this is a good idea would like to take your chances. I'm sure the crowd would find it entertaining.

No the point wasn't missed. I also doubt that tigers in the wild are afraid of humans so I don't know where you are going there.

I'm still not going to lose sleep over the slower death of a cow to tiger, even for entertainment.

I have more distaste for what the animals go through to do tricks (the tricks themselves are kinda kewol though:happy:).

vidcc
05-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Then perhaps the moral outrage should not be directed at feeding tigers live food but instead at the tiger being in captivity to start with.

jimbo12345
05-24-2007, 12:46 AM
My issue comes from 3 points:

1 - Captive tigers (though i know they do a breeding scheme as they are hunted a lot

2 - Fat captive tigers in groups - so full i guarantee that that cow was not fully eaten

3 - The whole entertainment thing

I love documentaries of African plains, watching lions hunt wilderbeest and the like. Sometimes, the wilderbeest gets way. The thrill is in the chase, watching the predator stalk, chase and kill its prey. For food. In natualr environments. Not drpped out of a mini-dumper on top of some ful-to-bursting animals.

Fait play, maybe i'm being a bit sensitive, but the whole Chinese culture i know well, and the look at those kids reveling off it is a very worrying thing.

vidcc
05-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Fait play, maybe i'm being a bit sensitive, but the whole Chinese culture i know well, and the look at those kids reveling off it is a very worrying thing.

So you are aware of the way the Chinese view animals.

Have you ever been to a snake eatery where they skin the snake alive in front of you and drain the blood into a glass for you to drink before taking it into the kitchen to make the dish of your choice?

Have you been to a market where you buy your meat live?

Chances are (perhaps not so much in the bigger cities) that many of the same children at the zoo have watched their parents kill their meals.

We may think this barbaric but IMO we have just become too squeamish about how our food arrives on our plates.

Busyman™
05-24-2007, 04:02 AM
maybe i'm being a bit sensitive,

Agreed. They are animals ffs.

OMG! TEH CHIKCHENS R FRITEND!1!1!!!1

Go hug a tree for me.

I have more issue with animals cooped up in ass small cages.

Dangling a mouse in a snake's lair bothers me none. Dropping a moth in a spider's web doesn't either so I couldn't give a shit* about a dangling chicken, overly healthy tigers that act like tigers, or the cow that couldn't fend for itself.

It may be entertainment, but the tigers are being fed.

* Whether this is the correct version or whether I should or shouldn't give 2 or even 3 shits, I could or couldn't give a shit. If one struggles with this wording then simply get some pussy to get your mind off grammar. However, If you think that there is something, possibly, in the world that you do give 9 shits about, feel free to use whatever the fuck comes to mind since, if you could or couldn't give a shit, it doesn't fucking matter....now does it? ANSWER ME MOTHERFUCKER!!!. Thanks, and fuck yo mama.

Yoga
05-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Watched in horror? They have pulled the wool over your eyes for much too long. The fact that chicken live in cages too cramped to move, only to be hung upside down to have their throats slit by circular saws assembly line fashion to make your party bucket doesn't bother you the lest, just because it takes place behind closed doors.

Just because the US and UK violate human rights in secret prison camps so the practice is not as overt as the Chinese; does this give the commentator the right to be an arrogant enthnocentric prick?

jimbo12345
05-26-2007, 01:22 AM
i don't think anyone doubts the UK and US violations, we all do it, i bet even the Swiss. Though we don't sell tickets to kids to watch.

I love a bargain bucket, give me the option a free-range Zinger, i'd take it.

I buy free range whenever i can. I know how they die, my problem isnt eating meat, or animals eating meat. My problem is how this is beening done.

Busyman™
05-26-2007, 02:38 AM
i don't think anyone doubts the UK and US violations, we all do it, i bet even the Swiss. Though we don't sell tickets to kids to watch.

I love a bargain bucket, give me the option a free-range Zinger, i'd take it.

I buy free range whenever i can. I know how they die, my problem isnt eating meat, or animals eating meat. My problem is how this is beening done.

But you have no quams with a chicken's throat being slit and it bleeding out slowly?

I don't care how they die. You do yet you still eat chickens free-range or not.

Oh and newsflash, I bet free-range means shit. Are there inspections for free-range and/or does it just mean they can go outdoors?

I do not add human feelings to animals. The only sensitivity I have is for a pet. That means that if I know it is someone's pet or it is my own that I would have a sensitivity for that. However, I have no sensitivity for a dog just because it cute. There some that have a problem with folks that eat dogs over in Vietnam. That's their food so fuck off.

I also have no problem with killing minks for fur. They make good coats and I remember dissecting them in high-school.

PETA and ALF can fuck off. Self-righteous people like them let the rage virus loose.:P

Really though, some of these idjits would kill a person to save an animal. They have all this energy and it is misappropriated. Now some of these folks go on movie sets making sure cockroaches aren't mistreated and such and that's not too bad but fuck off about my chinchilla. The coat feels great.:snooty:

Mr JP Fugley
06-04-2007, 10:20 PM

I think there may be a problem reconciling that with either Halal or Kosher slaughter. Much as the Jewish or Muslim faiths may wish you to believe differently.

Mr JP Fugley
06-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Good speech.