PDA

View Full Version : The biggest ripoff in computer sales history? Yes

slim150
05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Never have I seen such a bigger ripoff in my entire life. Is this even legal?

I work from home, and as such I see a lot of daytime tv that is geared to people with no jobs / low income. I see a commercial every day for something called blue hippo. www.bluehippo.com

Their pitch (paraphrased): We know that computers are super expensive and hard to afford, but its important that you and your kids get them. Thats why we offer you the ability to pay monthly on "top of the line" new computer systems.

The deal: You give them $99 as a downpayment, and for 1 year you make weekly (thats 52) payments of $39.99. After 13 weeks of payments, they will ship the computer to you.

So lets do the math. Before you get your computer you have to give them:

99 + (39.99 * 13) = $618.87

In total you pay 99 + (39.99 * 52) = $2178.48

I just bought a very nice system (through help with folks on this forum) and it only cost me $830.

NOW heres the best part. What do you get for $2178.48????

The only details are as following:

# Intel 3.06GHz Processor
# 256MB Memory
# 80GB Hard Drive
# CD-ROM & Burner
# 17" Flat Panel LCD Monitor

ROFL LOL WTF?

Before its shipped out the door they already make a huge ass profit. I can't believe this is legal. I floored me.

But seriously, if anyone ever ever would purchase through them... they honestly deserve to be in there dire straits of a fiscal situation they are in.

Seedler
05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
...wow, after reading their site, I basically pay 4 times the money to get a computer 1/10 the performance, after 13 weeks of payment and a down payment, while continuing to make monthly payments 1 year after that.

Jeez, if only I didn't just get a computer, I would be so tempted:dry:

Shiranai_Baka
05-25-2007, 01:26 AM
== dell financing?

Virtualbody1234
05-25-2007, 03:29 AM
It may be a big ripoff but hardly illegal.
The terms are clearly stated.
If the purchaser doesn't know that it's a bad deal then too bad.
There's a sucker born every minute.

I've seen those ads too.

clocker
05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Those specs are identical to the "base model" PCs we sell at the shop (actually, due to availability issues we now install 512MB RAM) for $529.

Taking advantage of the poor and ignorant (who are probably watching those ads on "rent-to-buy" plasma screens) might be reprehensible and disgusting but is not illegal.

Wolfmight
05-25-2007, 04:52 PM
wow, you wern't kidding.
This is, by far, the "worst" rippoff in computer sale history.

*dials phone to bluehippo*

Bluehippo: Welcome to Bluehippo Services...Are you looking for a computer today? Dial 1. Are you looking for Support? Dial 2. Are you looking for Billing Help? Dial 3. Are you looking into Computer Technical Support for $50 a minute? Dial 4. Are you looking for Software Maintanence Support for $100 a minute? Dial 5. Are you looking to take advantage of our current monthly special on a 128MB RAM upgrade for only $350? Dial 6. To speak with a customer representative...Dial 9

Wolfmight: 9

Bluehippo: *music* SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS! SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS! SPONGE BOOOOOOBBBB SQUAAAA_____

Cust. Rep: Hello, represenatative Josh speaking, how may I help you?

Wolfmight: $2,000 FOR THAT PEICE OF SH1T! WTF IS WRONG WITH BLUEHIPPO!?

Cust. Rep: hehe, uhh...Hello? Sir..Sir....Ohhh nooo...the phone line is breaking up...ahhhhhhh *rubbs bubble wrap on the mouth peice* shshshzhzhhzhzhzhzzz

Wolfmight: moron...

Cust. Rep: ...sorry

Wolfmight: lol

Cust. Rep: We just can't have that knowledge spread. The whole company is based of the computer illiterate.

Wolfmight: AND THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Cust. Rep: What's a horrible? *SLAMS PHONE*

peat moss
05-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Not illegal but sicking to think some poor schmuck would fall for that deal . The Better Business Bureau should step in and shut down this practice . Like that will happen . You know 14 % interest included over a year would n't seem so bad . But offer a high end computer .

slim150
05-27-2007, 12:47 AM
I wrote an email to infomercialscams.com I hope they get published on there. Feel free to crank call them all day.

Shiranai_Baka
05-27-2007, 04:32 AM
I wrote an email to infomercialscams.com I hope they get published on there. Feel free to crank call them all day.

I don't think prank calling would be a smart thing to do because of legal reasons.

mbucari1
05-27-2007, 05:36 AM
worse than leasing a car. That is a sick site. I priced everything ion that offer, and here's what I came up with...
cpu 52
ram 20
mobo 50
optical 30
monitor 150
case 30
lcd tv 250
printer 25

Grand total = $607

I could have everything in that offer by the end of the initial 13 payments, and they would be MINE.

harrycary
05-28-2007, 12:53 AM
were all you guys just born yesterday?

here in the US, rent-to-own companies have been doing the same thing for years..

they're simply marketing their products to people who don't have any credit or bad credit.

that's what you get when you don't handle your finances properly.

and those people are paying for it.

nothing new here.

delimare
05-28-2007, 01:53 AM
were all you guys just born yesterday?

here in the US, rent-to-own companies have been doing the same thing for years..

they're simply marketing their products to people who don't have any credit or bad credit.

that's what you get when you don't handle your finances properly.

and those people are paying for it.

nothing new here.

Exactly right. The same applies to someone with bad credit applying for a loan. The worse your credit score is the higher your interest payments. If you can't be responsible enough to handle the important things in life then you end up paying the piper.

Kuberr
05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
You know, HP or some manufacturing was selling a PC as trashy as that for like 15,000. Or was it 150,000?

lightshow
05-31-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm sure it was $150,000 and included at 150,000 rpm hard drive. Those are quite expensive now arn't they.

That's only $1 per 1 rpm!! Maybe they'll buy on a 1/2 off sale.

y7deluxe
06-01-2007, 10:04 PM

valhallabjj
06-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Seems to me these guys were targeting the very people who don't know better and are easy targets; the poor, uneducated and ignorant.
That doesn't give them an excuse to do it!! Just because it's not illegal.
The people they're targeting need a hand up in life and a chance to get a better undersatnding of where they are at, it doesn't help to have bastards like this, with low ethical and moral standards to make life even worse for those that probably already find life difficult.:angry:
It may even be that some of them take up the deal with the intent and hope of improving themselves!!!:)

y7deluxe
06-02-2007, 02:19 AM