PDA

View Full Version : explorer.exe crashing when video files are selected?

rmthegreat88
05-28-2007, 12:28 AM
my computer is being amazing. With some video files and not others it decides to crash explorer.exe. one type that does crash is a ".wmv" file that i can't tell what it is encoded with, becasue wheni open the containing file it still crashes though i am able to interact with the file that contains it for a smal period of time.

when i try to right click it and see what it is encoded with i get another error a program called data debugger crashes and it(my computer) goes haywire.

i recently updated my videocard drivers and it fixed it for some video files, before i updated, every single file that i had would crash.

so what is going on and how do i fix this?

DaMan05
05-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Os?

lightshow
05-28-2007, 04:38 AM
When you click the video file, does it try to open a video player, and then explorer.exe crashes,

or

does explorer.exe crash the second after you try to open the video file?

rmthegreat88
05-28-2007, 10:31 AM
im working on windows xp professional, service pack two.

as for what happens, i open the containing folder and it crashes. I belive that it is trying to load the thumbnail view for it.

Complex||4-4-2
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
XP SP2

I get this EVERYTIME i open a folder with a .avi init, then i have to ctrl+alt+delete and close dr watson to make the pc work agen

mbucari1
05-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Something similar has happened to me. While trying to generate previews, it crashed explorer. I believe I turned off caching in thumbs.db.

Complex||4-4-2
05-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Yeah i turned it off and it still does it lol .

[ Had already tryed that ] ;)

rmthegreat88
05-28-2007, 03:03 PM
well its good to know that im not alone, but how do i get to thumbs.db?

inkmaker23
05-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I had same problem. Was caused by 2 Xvid codecs. Renamed one in syst32 folder (to disable) and problem
solved. Check your codecs with Sherlock (google "codecs sherlock" if you don't have it) . Check bottom of list-
may be damaged xvid codec or two codecs causing windows conflict and freeze. Good luck.

tesco
05-28-2007, 10:02 PM
In vista i had a similar problem until recently. Instead of explorer crashing, I'd just get constant error popup dialogs about explorer when viewing a folder with video files in it.
Fixed since I installed the latest klite codec pack though, I think.

DaMan05
05-28-2007, 10:47 PM
In vista i had a similar problem until recently. Instead of explorer crashing, I'd just get constant error popup dialogs about explorer when viewing a folder with video files in it.
Fixed since I installed the latest klite codec pack though, I think.

thats a known problem, i get it too... din know it was fixable yet tho... its supposed to be with any video encoded in DivX or XviD... i'll get the pack and see if it fixes it... fucking "Com Surrogate has stopped working" eh?