PDA

View Full Version : I Didn’t Download it, My Router Got Hacked!

Hairbautt
05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Hairbautt/News%20Images/TorrentFreak.pngPeople accused of uploading the game ‘Dream Pinball’ who claim they are the victim of a hacker, are starting to get letters back from lawyers explaining what they should do next. Among other things, the lawyers are demanding that the accused demonstrate computer security skills in providing evidence detailing exactly how their equipment was exploited.

Earlier this year, 500 people received letters accusing them of illegally distributing a computer game. The letters demand a settlement payment, or a court appearance was threatened.

Many people wondered how they were caught at all, while others claimed they had no knowledge of such a game and stopped to consider that their router security may have been compromised. If security features are not enabled on a router, anyone can easily fall victim to an authorized connection. In this case, it’s feared that someone may have accessed an unsecured router, downloaded and redistributed even just a tiny piece of this file via BitTorrent or eMule, with the router’s owner getting the blame.

Lawyers representing the game’s publisher state as fact that a full copy of a game must have been uploaded to their monitors for the infringement to be flagged - clearly the lawyers have no idea how a protocol like BitTorrent operates. It would be virtually impossible to download a large file in it’s entirety from just one source and the time it would take would prove totally impractical. There is a very real probability that a tiny transfer of a few hundred kilobytes can trigger legal action against an alleged infringer, a transfer easily achieved by someone accessing a victim’s router for just a few seconds.

People who are using this defense are now starting to receive letters, part of which reads;

"If it is your contention that at the relevant time you did all that you could to secure your network and PC but that, nevertheless, an intrusion occurred and that the infringing act complained of was perpetrated by a person or a person unknown who gained access to the network without your permission, please provide (in accordance with the Practice Directions for Pre-Action Protocol) all copies of the essential documents on which you rely."

In other words, forget ‘Innocent Until Proven Guilty‘ and start getting used to ‘Guilty! Now Prove Yourself Innocent!‘

View Source for more information...

:source: Source: TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/i-didnt-download-it-my-router-got-hacked/)

100%
05-29-2007, 06:54 PM
downloading now.

4play
05-29-2007, 07:38 PM
it seems they are asking for

1. A copy of the instructions accompanying the router
2. Evidence to prove the use of anti-virus software and firewall
3. Evidence detailing exactly how the computer was compromised.
4. Evidence to prove the victim took adequate measures to prevent the intrusion.

1. model number should be enough they have the manuals on the website look it up yourself.

2. how exactly will any anti-virus or firewall software stop people connecting to my router and using my internet if its open. this information is completely irrelevant.

3. I am not a computer forensic expert and my router is only cheap so logs are not kept. a court order will also be required to examine my equipment at your expense.

4. I have no legal responsibility to secure my equipment.

ulun64
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Just deny that's you ever downloaded it. Just say you never heard about this game until now.

GepperRankins
06-04-2007, 07:11 PM
i wonder if the defence will work. i tried saying the window was open once, and got done for breaking and entering still. :mellow:

it seems they are asking for

1. A copy of the instructions accompanying the router
2. Evidence to prove the use of anti-virus software and firewall
3. Evidence detailing exactly how the computer was compromised.
4. Evidence to prove the victim took adequate measures to prevent the intrusion.

1. model number should be enough they have the manuals on the website look it up yourself.

2. how exactly will any anti-virus or firewall software stop people connecting to my router and using my internet if its open. this information is completely irrelevant.

3. I am not a computer forensic expert and my router is only cheap so logs are not kept. a court order will also be required to examine my equipment at your expense.

4. I have no legal responsibility to secure my equipment.

haha. number three is a ridiculous question. if people knew how it happened, it wouldn't have happened :pinch:

WHRST
06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
hmm... not intrested @all but the story is intresting to read though

Colt Seevers
06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
The Dream Pinball saga continues...

downloading now.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/c0/rotlaugh.gif

hmm... not intrested @all but the story is intresting to read though

Not interested in what? Making sense? http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/aiw/tease.gif

signalearth
06-07-2007, 03:20 AM
All of this over a pinball game...

icecoldstar
06-08-2007, 03:19 AM
this is just ridiculus....

Finn_1337
06-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Let's bust grannies playing bingo with illicit ink in their dabbers, it would be more compelling drama...