PDA

View Full Version : So I'm sitting in my room when I feel my power cable...

Skerven
05-31-2007, 03:25 AM
...and it burns!!!
I'm running on an HP laptop in my room. The notebook has been on for about a day straight (over 24 hours). It has also been plugged in to a power outlet for a day straight. I come back from work today and touch that box in the middle of my power cord, a converter, I think, and, well, it is really hot.

I wonder if this is natural, expected, normal, or dangerous, hazardous, deadly.

My laptop is like the PC is never had, and I want it running day and night. I just need suggestions on how to cool this thing, and if I my power cable could be damaged by overheating. I just don't want my cable to melt...

Brilliant idea... I WILL SHOW IT TO YOU!!! ===> http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/notebook/notebook_hp/batteries/1/accessories/DL606A%2523ABA
It is a "HP 65W AC Adapter"

Thanks in advance!!

mbucari1
05-31-2007, 05:31 AM
It is normal for the TRANSFORMER to heat up. I'm not sure for what length of time they are rated, but I wouldn't leave it on for too long w/o a rest. Also, you want to occasionally drain the battery, otherwise it will start loosing capacity.

Skerven
05-31-2007, 05:43 AM
"I wouldn't leave it on for too long w/o a rest"
So.. how long is too long, in your professional opinion that is

"you want to occasionally drain the battery, otherwise it will start loosing capacity."
Yeah I'll unplug it whenever I'm using it.

While watching House (taped) i came up with some ideas...
So the only way a transformer can be damaged is if it overheats?
What if I just put a fan to it. I have my fan constantly on in my room anyways (can't sleep without the sound), so it wouldn't be that much of a hassle to just put the fan right next to my desk.
Better yet, maybe I could use the icepack.
Am I right in assuming the only way my power cord can be damaged is if it overheats?

zapjb
05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Laptops are not for 24/7.

lynx
05-31-2007, 08:25 AM
When you refer to the power cord being hot, do you mean

just the transformer
the part from the wall socket to the transformer
the part from the transformer to the laptop
some combination (please specify)

If you mean anything other than option 1 then I suspect you've got a problem, the actual wiring should not get hot.

These transformers are often only just big enough to do the job, and consequently they do get quite hot, far too hot IMO.

Of course, if they supplied a more suitable adapter it would cost them about $0.50 more, and that would push the price to the consumer up by about $10. :yup:

mbucari1
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
just the transformer
some combination (please specify)If you mean anything other than option 1 then I suspect you've got a problem, the actual wiring should not get hot.

These transformers are often only just big enough to do the job, and consequently they do get quite hot, far too hot IMO.

Of course, if they supplied a more suitable adapter it would cost them about $0.50 more, and that would push the price to the consumer up by about $10. :yup:well, the wire heat he is feeling may be due to conduction. If he's had it on 24/7 (which is bad) then that's not a big surprise.

Skerven
05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
just the transformer
some combination (please specify)If you mean anything other than option 1 then I suspect you've got a problem, the actual wiring should not get hot.

Of course, if they supplied a more suitable adapter it would cost them about $0.50 more, and that would push the price to the consumer up by about $10. :yup:

Just the transformer, but I will check the other parts if I feel my transformer getting hot again. I left my laptop off today