PDA

View Full Version : would a P4 1.8 play 720p mkv?

DaMan05
06-03-2007, 01:25 AM
i was planing on building a new TV/downloader PC, but im getting one from a friend now and its a P4 1.8Ghz with 512 ram

any one with this processor play the 720p mkv shows? my old TV computer din play them, but that was a shyt P3 600.

mbucari1
06-03-2007, 01:54 AM
i don't know. I haven't had a machine with that little power in a long time :)

brotherdoobie
06-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Prolly...but not without stuttering and eventualy locking up your system.
Make sure you have the right codecs installed and use a decent player.

High def relies on the processor, heavily.

-bd

DaMan05
06-03-2007, 02:05 AM
hopefully it'll play it... what player you recoomend, i was gonna use VLC

mbucari1
06-03-2007, 02:23 AM
I use media placer classic. It's the best I think. I use it and the combined community codec pack to play high def mkv vids.

you can download it here http://www.cccp-project.net/

Shiranai_Baka
06-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Why not k-lite mega codec pack? I've used that for years and its done me nothing but good. It even comes with MPC (Media player classic)

DaMan05
06-03-2007, 03:48 AM
i'll see when i get the PC tommorow. i really hope it plays em. i've only played HD content on my 67" HD DLP like 2 or 3 times... i need to start using it :)

mbucari1
06-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Why not k-lite mega codec pack? I've used that for years and its done me nothing but good. It even comes with MPC (Media player classic)Well, i used to use it, but the decodes I discovered was a bit screwy. I would adjust settings on my video card , and the'sd look good on the preview, but then the pics were aweful on the real vids. So, I had to adjust color, contrast, gama, saturation, brightness, and hue all through trial and error. IT WAS A BITCH. But CCCP doesn't have that problem.

brotherdoobie
06-03-2007, 07:33 AM
I would completly remove your video card driver and install the
latest one,also uninstall any codecs packs and reninstall only
one set. (if you have multiple)

(keeping in mind...that your video card should have 256-512 of ram)

Actually,since it's a new system. (at least...for you) I would do
a clean install...asap.

When you're watching video make sure-no resource hogs are running
in the background.

-bd

DaMan05
06-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I would completly remove your video card driver and install the
latest one,also uninstall any codecs packs and reninstall only
one set. (if you have multiple)

(keeping in mind...that your video card should have 256-512 of ram)

Actually,since it's a new system. (at least...for you) I would do
a clean install...asap.

When you're watching video make sure-no resource hogs are running
in the background.

-bd

im gonna clean install for sure, then install CCCP and hopefully it will work. i found out that it has only 256mb ram, but im sure i'll find some more ram lying around my house to stick in and i'll be using the GPU from my old TV PC which i think only has 128mb ram... i rilly do hope it works... at least it'll play the HR 700mb ones tho... my old one din even do that. :(

worldpease
06-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I have an AMD 2.00GHz and it plays almost every mkv I trow at it,
from time to time it gives me a glitch or two but nothing serious.Just try no to run too many process when playing the video, and though not all the codecs in the k-Pack are necessary, it does a good job.