PDA

View Full Version : New Version Of Alcohol 120%!!!

mbucari1
06-05-2007, 05:14 AM
There is a new version of alcohol 120 out, version 1.9.6.5403

In this release, the license will be less sensitive (bitched to teck support and this is what they tole me ;)). Other than that, I don't know. I suppose they will have updated SPTD drivers, and increased stability. I can't wait to see other benefits :)

mr. nails
06-05-2007, 06:37 AM
i have yet to ever use alcohol for i've always used nero. is there a reason to switch?

SKGunners
06-05-2007, 07:50 AM
If you're just an average user, no need to switch. But if you're advanced into games and all, then go ahead.

mr. nails
06-05-2007, 12:49 PM
If you're just an average user, no need to switch. But if you're advanced into games and all, then go ahead.

why is that? i play games all the time. nero burns images fine. what's the deal?

Appzalien
06-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Alcohol was used alot in the late 90's and early 2000 for its ability to emulate and remove protections from game cd's. Nero has no such function and as a matter of fact will refuse to copy a protected disk unless something blanks out the protections in the background (anydvd). I stopped using Alcohol when I discovered nocd fixes for games. And now if I want to copy game disks to share I use Wolverinesoft's X-Copy to create the bin cue files from the original disks then download nocd fixes and any updates and add them to one of the images with ultraiso. Then I can burn copies and give instructions to use the nocd instead of trying to run the game with the play disk.

"why is that? i play games all the time. nero burns images fine. what's the deal?"

If you download your games they have been fixed already, if you buy a game and make copies its a different story.

slim150
06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
i am confused why nero is now 171MB

Hairbautt
06-06-2007, 05:52 PM

In this release, the license will be less sensitive (bitched to teck support and this is what they tole me ;)
You're the reason for the new release? :huh:

mbucari1
06-07-2007, 01:41 AM

In this release, the license will be less sensitive (bitched to teck support and this is what they tole me ;)
You're the reason for the new release? :huh:Yup, send praises upon me :lol:

The reason I use alcohol is because it supports mdf/mds images, burns images, makes images that can emulate almost any game protection, emulate drives so I don't have to extract/burn images that I download.

I have a lot of games that use image cracks, and I use alcohol for that. Instead of a cracked exe, the image emulates the security features on the disk. This means that you can update the game w/o having to find an updated cracked exe. Also, if you have a game disk that you bought, then you can make your own image cracks.

SKGunners
06-07-2007, 03:12 AM
*Sends praises*

Many newer games use image cracks, but for some reason I hate image cracks. I actually just prefer waiting for a cracked exe and it comes out quickly enough as my download speed is not quite fast so it takes a while for me to download.

Hairbautt
06-07-2007, 03:20 AM
Image files can be big and you gotta take the time to mount and all that blah...and it runs in the background while your gamin' it up. :dabs:

SKGunners
06-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much why I prefer cracked exe's.

mbucari1
06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
granted it is easier ti just double click and play, but I like the security on knowing that i can update any time and still have a working crack.

SKGunners
06-08-2007, 02:04 AM
There's a good point, but I really update games. I only update them unless they're really buggy and then just download the cracked exe for it.

mbucari1
06-08-2007, 03:25 AM
There's a good point, but I really update games. I only update them unless they're really buggy and then just download the cracked exe for it.
yeah, but what if you can't fined an updated crack? Game updates do replace buggy libraries, but usually the main changes are in the main executable. That means using an old crack would defeat the purpose and sometimes not work at all

Appzalien
06-09-2007, 03:35 AM
"i am confused why nero is now 171MB"

Its called bloat. What happens, is when a company has something thats already about as good as it can get (nero 5.5) there's no where to go. To try and get suckers to buy a new version instead of sticking with the old one they start to throw in new and mostly usless software. After a while is get so full of crap that no one wants it anymore and your company goes to hell in a hand basket.

Its a common mistake made by alot of companies, Norton did it with their security software, it got so bad that most machines had no cpu left to run there apps cause norton was using it all.

Even though its a common mistake, its also a stupid one, it may also be all she wrote for Nero. I know I'm finished with them. I might download a fixed version now and then but I'm tired of all the crap they add and the hidden advertising stuff like google search and Yahoo tool bar they try to sneak by to make up for the money they lose for being stupid. I won't give them my money like I used to, as far as I'm concerned they shot themselves in the foot and they deserve it.

mbucari1
06-09-2007, 05:08 AM

Its called bloat. What happens, is when a company has something thats already about as good as it can get (nero 5.5) there's no where to go. To try and get suckers to buy a new version instead of sticking with the old one they start to throw in new and mostly usless software. After a while is get so full of crap that no one wants it anymore and your company goes to hell in a hand basket.

Its a common mistake made by alot of companies, Norton did it with their security software, it got so bad that most machines had no cpu left to run there apps cause norton was using it all.

Even though its a common mistake, its also a stupid one, it may also be all she wrote for Nero. I know I'm finished with them. I might download a fixed version now and then but I'm tired of all the crap they add and the hidden advertising stuff like google search and Yahoo tool bar they try to sneak by to make up for the money they lose for being stupid. I won't give them my money like I used to, as far as I'm concerned they shot themselves in the foot and they deserve it.I think he was wondering why it was so small because there have been ISO images uploaded upwards of 500MB.

Well, that's because the smaller 171MB file is a rar self extracting archive that heavily compresses the install files. When you launch the install exe, it immediately extracts the install files to a temporary location and then installs. Once extracted, the files get HUGE! This is because library files (dll's) have a high compression ratio, and that's what most of the program is. A better question would have been, "Why are there versions that are 500MB?" Well, this is because on places like demonoid and oink, an extracted archive made into an ISO will give you a better ratio than a compressed archive.

raspberry1331
06-11-2007, 02:57 PM
171MB is still pretty big for burning...

Chewie
06-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Even though its a common mistake, its also a stupid one, it may also be all she wrote for Nero. I know I'm finished with them. I might download a fixed version now and then but I'm tired of all the crap they add and the hidden advertising stuff like google search and Yahoo tool bar they try to sneak by to make up for the money they lose for being stupid. I won't give them my money like I used to, as far as I'm concerned they shot themselves in the foot and they deserve it.
Unlike many other software mega-businesses, Nero AG use a proper installer that lets you deselect anything you don't want to install. I don't have any of the shit that comes in the retail version and Scout is switched off.

Nero 7 has overcome its bugs & other shortcomings and works perfectly well without taking over the system (as long as you don't install Showtime).

ashstorm
06-14-2007, 03:39 AM
DAEMON Tools

is fine

gust try it.

mbucari1
06-14-2007, 04:00 AM
DAEMON Tools

is fine

gust try it.I have, and I prefer Alcohol 120