PDA

View Full Version : PC extender?

crabmed
06-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Have you heard of this PC extender? This a gadget that extends your PC. if you have a PC with high specs, you can buy another monitor and connects it to your PC. You now have two monitors, two keyboards and one CPU. You can add up to 5 monitors but it also depends on your PCI slots. One PCI slot can accommodate two monitors because the video card has a dual-head port. :yup:

I did that to my PC so now I have two workstations with just one CPU..:whistling

I'll try to post a pic so you see it. :)

zapjb
06-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Seems silly.

clocker
06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I did that to my PC so now I have two workstations with just one CPU..:whistling

Do you have two people working on the same PC at the same time?
Having multiple monitors is not new but where are the extra keyboards and mice plugging in?

Shiranai_Baka
06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
From the first result in google, it just lets you work on your PC without having to be near the tower.

mikeco
06-07-2007, 03:54 PM
never heard of that before...

more details, whats the thing u got called (model number as well)

lynx
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
The multiple concurrent sessions feature was supposed to be available with XP Pro SP2, but it isn't. If you connect a remote session XP forces you to log off your current session, but in actual fact it is still there and the remote session is actually a second session. This shows that XP is actually capable of handling multiple sessions. There's supposed to be a way round that, but I don't have the details

However, Windows Media Center Extender was supposed to allow up to 5 concurrent sessions, but I don't know how many it actually delivers. I've heard elsewhere that there's a license limit of 3.

Having multiple monitors is not new but where are the extra keyboards and mice plugging in?
A USB hub would provide plenty of ports.
At one time you could get PCI cards with extra ps2 ports, but I guess there's no need for them now.

crabmed
06-08-2007, 03:37 AM

yup..two people can work at the same time up to 5 people per one CPU actually but it will depend on the specs of the CPU that you have.

the gadget comes with a dual head video card so you plug the monitor there right? the extra keyboard and mouse you plug it in the gadget. the gadget is USB type actually so you just plug it in the USB slot. :)

the size of the gadget is 3in x 2in x 1in. I'll post ASAP the pic of the gadget. ;)

From the first result in google, it just lets you work on your PC without having to be near the tower.

I saw what you mean but that's not it..:)

ulun64
06-08-2007, 04:28 AM
Interesting!!! I would like see the gadget possible get one to test around :)

Still curious how it's work???

thesixthsensor
06-09-2007, 03:48 AM
useless.

DaMan05
06-09-2007, 04:03 AM
useless.

it really isnt actually. say you have 1 PC and 2 rooms.

one station in one room and one in the other. It's cheaper than getting 2 PCs ;)

crabmed
06-09-2007, 05:49 AM
useless.

one station in one room and one in the other. It's cheaper than getting 2 PCs ;)

yeah..in my case, we need more than 1 PC here in the house so instead of buying a new PC, i use PC extender..for $165,i got an additional workstation compare to the cost of a new PC. :)

http://img103.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/06/09/pcx-46r7npkgx.jpg
here's the pic..:)

tesco
06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
what's it claled :frusty:
brand, model, etc.
All I find on google are things from the 1990s to extend the reach of your monitor, keyboard, mouse.

ulun64
06-10-2007, 04:12 PM
There is one question. How do you plug in the monitor?

crabmed
06-11-2007, 04:52 AM
there is a dual head video card that comes with the gadget so you can connect two monitors per video card.

what's it claled :frusty:
brand, model, etc.
All I find on google are things from the 1990s to extend the reach of your monitor, keyboard, mouse.

you can contact this person for additional info..:yup:

[email protected]

I've got the PC extender from him.

Busyman™
06-11-2007, 10:52 PM

yeah..in my case, we need more than 1 PC here in the house so instead of buying a new PC, i use PC extender..for $165,i got an additional workstation compare to the cost of a new PC. :)

http://img103.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/06/09/pcx-46r7npkgx.jpg
here's the pic..:)

I'd rather pay the extra $200 or so and get a low-end computer.:ermm:

ulun64
06-12-2007, 06:15 AM
At $165 does it include the dual video card?

clocker
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Hmmm...it's an interesting idea but I agree with Busyman.

This seems to have been designed when PCs were more expensive than they are today.
Admittedly, because I work in a computer shop I probably run across better deals than the average Joe but hell, people recycle P4's these days and are happy they don't have to pay us.

I just assembled a computer out of stuff that was donated in the past few weeks...
P4 @ 3GHz
1GB PC3200 DDR
Intel D 865 GLC motherboard
FX5200 vid card

Added a SATA DVD-RW and 250GB SATA HDD and put it into a Gateway "toaster" case that had a valid XP Home PID on it.
My total cost was $100 (the burner and HDD were new), which beats the pants off paying $165 to share a tower.

If the OP is happy with the setup that's fine but I don't see it as a viable alternative to a second PC.
Besides, if you're going to have a different station in another room, how are you extending the VGA cable?

mikeco
06-12-2007, 10:40 PM
the only benifit i can think of is...
u probably wont use as much power running just the 1 machine + 2 monitors than 2 machines + 2 monitors.

but still... i wouldnt think its a very good idea.

Busyman™
06-13-2007, 12:03 AM
-Pentium® D Processor 925 with Dual Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
-FreeDOS™ included in the box, ready to install
-FREE Upgrade! 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
-80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
-16X DVD ROM Drive
-No Monitor
-Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000
-Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

$279 from Dell.

:ermm:

or maybe you can try Blue Hippo.:devil:

What I recommend if the person isn't doing anything graphics intensive and doesn't want to build is to get a pretty much barebones system and other stuff aftermarket.

When I wanted a PC in another room, I got a barebones Dell with the smallest hard drive offered and bought a separate DVD burner (Pioneer 710, $25), speakers 5.1 channel ($30), wireless mouse/keyboard combo ($20), 20" flat panel monitor ($150), and 200GB internal drive ($30). Mind you, a lot of that stuff is still somewhat luxury if you just need to "compute in another room".

You don't need a burner, flat panel, 5.1 channel speakers, wireless anything, or an extra hard drive.

Send the PC extender back....if you can.:yes:

tesco
06-13-2007, 12:27 AM
You don't really need the PC extender at all.... if you can get the software to let you run 2 sessions at once, on separate monitors, you just need 2 vid cards:)

crabmed
06-13-2007, 03:57 AM
You don't really need the PC extender at all.... if you can get the software to let you run 2 sessions at once, on separate monitors, you just need 2 vid cards:)

yes you can do that but you where will you plug the extra KB and mouse..

guys, you're lucky to get that kind of deal for a PC, you know, but from where I am, a $100 worth of PC is a piece of horse manure..:angry: a PC that is worth $100 here is very suspicious man specially if the PC have nice specs (you might be suspected of getting it from theft :yup:)..that's why when we buy the laptop, we buy it there in the US. It's very expensive here!!:yup:

so you see my need for the PC extender right? :)

it has also an advantage though..you only maintain 1 CPU, you only have to pay for 1 license for the OS and software, and most especially, you save a lot of money for power bill.

Here, they charge $15 a month for 12 hours of use of PC (CPU usage). It's a lot money here guys..so if you have more than PC (CPU), you can just imagine your bill.:ermm:

But if you can send me the PC that cost $100, i'll gladly pay the extra charge for the power bill. ;)

At $165 does it include the dual video card?

yep..

clocker
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Where is "here", if I may ask?

ulun64
06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
His "here" mean "US"

crabmed
06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Where is "here", if I may ask?

here means THE Philippines, dude..:yup:

tesco
06-13-2007, 09:50 PM
yes you can do that but you where will you plug the extra KB and mouse..usb

crabmed
06-14-2007, 04:56 AM

that is if i can get it to run...:frusty: