PDA

View Full Version : Re-Seeding Workaround?

burtz
06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
hi! is there anyway you could seed to different torrent files that has the same files (hash) but different filenames or directory structure? i mean, let's say i have downloaded a TV series pack from TV tracker and found out that there's is a similar release at other torrent trackers were i can seed that pack too. the problem is, they don't have the same directory names or/and filenames though they have the exact filehashes. is there any way i could work around on this that wouldn't hurt my hard drive? thanks! :)

hungdob
06-07-2007, 04:53 PM
if its the same files and just named differently u could do it, i remember i read somewhere that in azureus theres this option to select the target even if the file names isnt the same.
if no one gives u answer just tell me and ill look for the tutorial about it :D

Tokeman
06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
yea, for individual files that would work, but for a whole series, you would probably have to rename them to the new naming format. Of course this means you cant seed back then to the original place you got it from.

For single files in Utorrent, just open the torrent, and when you are selecting location, browse to the file and click the file before you hit OK, it will do a re-check of the file and seed.

burtz
06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
thanks for the responses. i know how to re-seed a single file, but i'm having problems with the whole series. i just want to grab the chance of boosting my ratio while some series are hot for downloads atm. LOL!

seppypom
06-07-2007, 05:51 PM
yes, you can do it with utorrent, I have the same files seeding to two sites right now.
and i have done it with AZ also.

burtz
06-07-2007, 07:04 PM
@seppypom

i can do that too but with single file torrents only. i'm looking for a workaround for torrents like movie packs, tv series packs, etc if ever it is possible. do you know a solution for this? thanx!

Daniel
06-07-2007, 10:29 PM
As you didn't specify the operating system your computer is running on, I'll give you a maybe working solution completely independent from your torrent client.

In Linux you can create symbolic links, which are roughly the same as Windows-based .lnk link-files that contain information about the location of the source file. Unlike in Windows though, Linux-based links act as a forwarder which lets you use those linked target files directly whereas under Windows you'd access the small .lnk file itself.

I haven't ever tested anything like this (with a torrent client) but thinking about the potential of a Linux based filesystem, it would only make sense to work like you want it to. In order to get this to work, you'd only need to build a directory- and file-structure to match your new torrent.

burtz
06-07-2007, 10:58 PM
thanx for the tip! too bad that i'm using winXP.

seppypom
06-07-2007, 11:48 PM
not sure if i follow you, the torrents that i am seeding have 44 individual files in the directory.

If the files where part of a pack, the file names should still be the same, maybe the directories are different. if that is the case, you need to start the torrent so that you get the directory structure, and copy your files into it.

if the file names are different, then the files are probably not the same.