PDA

View Full Version : virus increase on newsgroups

djkemp1
06-10-2007, 11:38 PM
hi i have downloaded things from newsgroups for about 4 months now and haven't received any virus pop ups.

but over the last couple of days the two different things i downloaded had a virus pop up (NOD32) to say that a message e.g. 6534.msg was infected, one was a trojan and on a separate occasion i had a w32 worm.

any idea why these are appearing, and why?

delimare
06-11-2007, 07:01 PM
This would be news to me. I've never recieved a virus from usenet to this day. Perhaps it was from another source?

Jimi...
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I have, just got to be careful what you download. Generally I've found that some of the small applications have virus' in them.

djkemp1
06-12-2007, 04:54 PM
nope wan't a small app, but i did notice that 2 of the viruses caught were in the .dat file and the other was in the .msg. none of them were in the rar archives themselves. could newsdemon have a worm on the servers? or could it be nod32 is showing false positives??

maupassant
06-13-2007, 04:05 AM
nope wan't a small app, but i did notice that 2 of the viruses caught were in the .dat file and the other was in the .msg. none of them were in the rar archives themselves. could newsdemon have a worm on the servers? or could it be nod32 is showing false positives??

It happened to me too recently (virus detected in messages, and not in files). Using NOD32 as well. But with Giganews. So yes, maybe a false positive.

djkemp1
06-13-2007, 05:53 PM
think it must be just that as i recently installed nod 32 was on avast before, and that never detected anything

1Bullet
06-22-2007, 04:15 AM
I have, just got to be careful what you download. Generally I've found that some of the small applications have virus' in them.

ditto