PDA

View Full Version : String / Quote / Phrase search

msgjunkie
06-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Is it possible to force search for ALL keywords?

i.e. "Family Guy" returns all results for "Family" and "Guy". I only want to see posts about Family Guy not Family Feud, My Family or The Addams Family.

Advanced search by Title doesnt help.

I've tried the following combinations:
"Family Guy"
Family+Guy
Family-Guy
Family&Guy

Any ideas?
:frusty:

tesco
06-16-2007, 01:35 PM
There is a way but it's not turned on because it's too slow.

Barbarossa
06-18-2007, 08:34 AM
The search function sux :P

tesco
06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
The search function sux :PIt would actually be good if I turned that stuff on.
Then it works more like google (but still not as good).

You could just use google, type site:filesharingtalk.com search terms

site:filesharingtalk.com search function sucks

Barbarossa
06-18-2007, 09:03 PM
That's a pretty good tip ;)

Skiz
06-19-2007, 05:19 AM
The search function sux :PIt would actually be good if I turned that stuff on.
Then it works more like google (but still not as good).

You could just use google, type site:filesharingtalk.com search terms

site:filesharingtalk.com search function sucks

Is there by chance a way to narrow that down to search a particular section of the board? For instance, the NZB search function sucks b/c it uses the same sucky function the rest of the board uses. It can be quite annoying. :ermm:

As for the search function taking longer with the other options turned "On", I would much rather wait a few more seconds for quality results, than having quick results which I must continue to search tons of threads or NZBs for what I was looking for.

Barbarossa
06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
As for the search function taking longer with the other options turned "On", I would much rather wait a few more seconds for quality results, than having quick results which I must continue to search tons of threads or NZBs for what I was looking for.

I think the problem would be that it's not just the search that would take longer - the whole board would slow down. If the database server is working hard to process search queries, it would be slower to load threads, etc. That wouldn't be popular :mellow:

Rip The Jacker
06-19-2007, 08:53 AM
The search function at this forum is just plain awful. I just ran a search with the phrase "Family Guy," here are the first few results.

Make Up An Outrageous Lie About the Previous Poster
Count all my dingleberries!!!! (10000)
Last One To Post Gets $20
POST Sites OPEN FOR SIGNUPS In THIS Thread
What Invites Are Worth [With Reviews And Ratings]
If you could Vote again - Bush or Kerry?
Hello, Noobs...

Searching for Family Guy basically shows me every thread ever made, instead of stuff related for Family Guy. What the hell?

Barbarossa
06-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Searching for Family Guy basically shows me every thread ever made, instead of stuff related for Family Guy. What the hell?

It is returning all threads which contains a post or posts that contain either the word "family" or the word "guy".

We should perhaps provide a link to Google from the search function menu or something

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=site%3Afilesharingtalk.com+family+guy&btnG=Search&meta=