PDA

View Full Version : Hit N Run

mforcex
06-16-2007, 02:41 AM
I think some sites/people are unrealistically crazy with being anti hit n run.

I was on a site, getting a torrent, slow as heck (the torrent was many months old), and decided screw it, I didn't want it. There were no leechers, I bet there weren't leechers on it for awhile. I got like 10Mbit, and stopped and this is hit n run. Damn, I should have seeded that 10mbit, it would have made a huge difference.

People=crazy.

Daniel
06-16-2007, 03:45 AM
Yeah I know what you mean ... but I also have to say that most trackers don't care for singular cases. Or if they do, it's commonly in form of an automatic warning system where you are sometimes able to rescind this if you start seeding again.

But with some isp problems every now and then I haven't had a tracker with annoyingly strict rules in months - so I'm wondering which site you're talking about ;)

DaMan05
06-16-2007, 04:04 AM
i thot hit n run only counted on a completed torrent... :wacko: meh... ive done it many times due to isp/computer problems or there just werent any leecher and i din care... i've never gotten a warning :)

mbucari1
06-16-2007, 04:16 AM
I have hit and run a few many times (especially now that I have my ScT buffer ;)), and I have never gotten a warning. EVER! Am I the only one?

leeter
06-16-2007, 05:10 AM
HnR is one of my favorite hobbies. I feel unexplicable thrill when hit and running. lol :happy:
Personally I've never been warned for hnr. Who the fuck would follow the crazy rule like "at least seed 48 hours"? That's crazy and absurd.
Almost all trackers definitely don't care about hnr, except a few.
So, I can safely say "feel free to enjoy it". ;)

mforcex
06-16-2007, 05:11 AM
Strange...I didn't get a warning yet, but I went to their IRC to ask about this and one of the "helpers" told me that "it's all about sharing" and I should seed back the 10Mbit. Most of the torrent sites I'm on don't have hit n run warnings so I don't have to worry about this stupid policy. Sadly, more torrent sites are adopting this policy... Actually, it isn't the policy, it is the fact that these sites use a general to apply to all torrents :/

heh leeter, I'm with you. I'm not seeding 48 hours... it is absurd. I mean, if I have a huge buffer, I shouldn't be forced to seed.

WHRST
06-16-2007, 05:13 AM
HnR is one of my favorite hobbies. I feel unexplicalbe thrill when hit and running. lol :happy:
Personally I've never been warned for hnr. Who the fuck would follow the crazy rule like "at least seed 48 hours"? That's crazy and absurd.

It's not that hard leave things seeding for several days for sites that have that those rules about seeding.

mforcex
06-16-2007, 05:16 AM
HnR is one of my favorite hobbies. I feel unexplicalbe thrill when hit and running. lol :happy:

It's not that hard leave things seeding for several days for sites that have that those rules about seeding.
I enjoy organizing my stuff, or extracting it, or watching it, or something. Sure I could make a duplicate copy, but I really don't want to buy more hard drives just to please a few torrent sites.

deuce6000
06-16-2007, 05:27 AM
HnR is one of my favorite hobbies. I feel unexplicable thrill when hit and running. lol :happy:

Bragging about being a bottom feeder that's just great i hope most people read this remember your name and never give you anything.I have seeded torrents for months at a time and you can't even be bothered by following rules just sick.

Patriot foreve
06-16-2007, 06:34 AM

Why do u think Trackers have hit&run policy?

because without that policy it's gonna be like the public trackers where u grab what u want and then stop the torrent ,Trackers use that policy to ensure the torrents well seeded for as long as they can sothat when amem,ber like you ,me or others want get an old torrent for example they can get it and the torrent will still have seeders but when the tracker just don't have this policy all members are gonna grab the torrent and then leave it causing the torrenbts to die quickly and eventually no of torrents of the tracker is reduced and next thing the tracker is closed

Most of the trackers don't demand seeding for acertain time except if u haven't reached 1:1 ratio

U probably can't see HNR warnings in big trackers like TL,TD,FL or others because they have huge database and the torrents have hundreds of seeders so when some of them HNR it won't affect much but in smaller trackers HNR affects things much

CheesePuff
06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Hit and runners have no business being in private trackers.

mbucari1
06-16-2007, 08:17 AM
look at it this way. I stay and seed on the torrents where peers are downloading from me because those are the ones that need the speed. If I get an older torrent (which is what I get more often than not) then it may have dozens of seeders and maybe 1 other leech. It's pointless for me to stay on a torrent like that.

deuce6000
06-16-2007, 08:23 AM
But if everybody though like that....

mbucari1
06-16-2007, 08:33 AM
But if everybody though like that....I see your point, and I do seed most of my torrents for days (just leave them in the client w/o any activity). But then what's the point of having an astronomical ratio if I can't hin 'n run every now and then? I do want to share, and rarely let my ratio drop below 2 (if I can help it) but sometimes I just want to clean out my client and remove clutter immediately. Mostly it just that I don't want the possibility of a torrent from a site that I have a fantastic ratio on to inhibit upload speed of a torrent from a site w/o as good a ratio.

deuce6000
06-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah i hear ya on that you must be one of those people that hate a cluttered computer and trust me i know how it feels because i got the same problem.It's almost like an addiction i swear i must of formatted over 30 times since i got my computer a couple years ago.I just can't stand things messy lol.

mbucari1
06-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah i hear ya on that you must be one of those people that hate a cluttered computer and trust me i know how it feels because i got the same problem.It's almost like an addiction i swear i must of formatted over 30 times since i got my computer a couple years ago.I just can't stand things messy lol.LOLOLOL!! Mee too! I'm a neat freak with my computer as far as file organization goes. I sometimes let my desktop get a lil messy I'f I'm working on a project and want many things easily accessable, but I know where every bit of almost 1TB of data is. Also, I have to rename almost every piece of music I get so that it imports into winamp flawlessly. And I can't do that until I stop the torrent (BLAST!). But like right now I have every torrent in my client seeding (24). It just depends.

crossfade
06-16-2007, 10:15 AM
It sad to say but, I think, the better your connection is, the more you are a hit and runner.
I have some torrents running that are over 6 months old, and people are still downloading.

deuce6000
06-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Well if you have fast connection and seed 100 percent back then it's not hitnrun right?

kimii
06-16-2007, 01:18 PM
I enjoy organizing my stuff, or extracting it, or watching it, or something. Sure I could make a duplicate copy, but I really don't want to buy more hard drives just to please a few torrent sites.
:lol: They provide you with warez and you think you don't owe it to them to follow rules.

mforcex
06-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Honestly there is no need for a HNR policy, hear me out:
If you look at the tracker bitmetv, the torrents never ever die, and there is no HNR policy. Why? People want to have a high ratio, so they can get more tv torrents. If you don't seed on bimetv, you miss out, so why would the staff force you to not miss out? Oink has no HNR policy and has torrents from 2005. If by some chance the torrent you want died, ask for a reseed, or request it.

I can't understand why TL instituted a HNR policy since it is not like torrents were dying.

Also, if you HNR constantly, you will get banned for low ratio. The "bad" all get weeded out eventually.

Can we all agree at least that waiting 48 hrs trying to seed back 10mbit is ridiculous?

Cmon
06-16-2007, 02:15 PM
If you look at the tracker bitmetv, the torrents never ever die, and there is no HNR policy.

All of my comments on old torrent are disappear, so I assume they're dead :whistling

mforcex
06-16-2007, 02:34 PM
If you look at the tracker bitmetv, the torrents never ever die, and there is no HNR policy.

All of my comments on old torrent are disappear, so I assume they're dead :whistling
It is more likely that the file was added to another torrent... like a season pack, or something like that. If you actually try to find the file you can.

crossfade
06-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Well if you have fast connection and seed 100 percent back then it's not hitnrun right?

All right, but by HNR I understand finishing the download and then leaving without having seeded everything back of course.

About the Bitmetv comments, the "comments database" crashed or was erased some time ago. So all comments posted before that crash are lost.

deuce6000
06-16-2007, 03:20 PM
See the question mark at the end i was asking

te00
06-16-2007, 06:30 PM
There should be a warn.Noone tells u what to do with stuff u donwload,they can warn u,but they just cant ban u

mbucari1
06-16-2007, 06:37 PM
There should be a warn.Noone tells u what to do with stuff u donwload,they can warn u,but they just cant ban uwell, I believe they CAN do anything they wish because they are the administration in a place the is tantamount to a dictatorship.

direstraits
06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I have hit and run a few many times (especially now that I have my ScT buffer ;)), and I have never gotten a warning. EVER! Am I the only one?

no, you are not, ScT staff doesn't seem to punish hit 'n run, even on big torrents...

Roark
06-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I've just stopped using all trackers with HnR policies. ScT and bitmetv together have pretty much everything I need, and I've never been hassled there. Ironically, torrents last longer on these two sites than almost any other site as well. In 99% of cases, HnR rules is a bandaid solution to the more serious problem of lack of peers.

JunelBT
06-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Some site with automated HnR systems are unrealistic, sometimes you need to stop download/uploading for whatever reason, for me it's when I want to play MP games.

Bottom line, HnR enforcement is unrealistic on a whole, if sites keep the system pruning bad ratio accounts weekly the HnR's should fall into place, barring the rare exceptions which probably don't impact the site on a whole.

mforcex
06-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Some site with automated HnR systems are unrealistic, sometimes you need to stop download/uploading for whatever reason, for me it's when I want to play MP games.

Bottom line, HnR enforcement is unrealistic on a whole, if sites keep the system pruning bad ratio accounts weekly the HnR's should fall into place, barring the rare exceptions which probably don't impact the site on a whole.
In that case, you have to read this since it is hilarious. The site is RevTT for those of you wondering, when it comes to HNR, RevTT doesn't fuck around. Posted on the site:

When you download a torrent and leave right away and not gotten 1:1 ratio on that download, while there are lots of leechers left you will get a Hit'n'Run warning..

If you start with any stupid excuses that you had to close because you wanted to play and had to close torrent at the moment it was done then it's not our problem..

When you download something, make sure you got time to seed the file after you done downloading, if you have to do anything else (like play games) after the download is done, then better is to download later and play your games before you download something

All warnings we give have a reason behind them and to try with lame excuses wont help you

Thank you for your time and hope it gave you some information that helped you...

Forum Moderator
Spectator

mbucari1
06-16-2007, 08:46 PM

In that case, you have to read this since it is hilarious. The site is RevTT for those of you wondering, when it comes to HNR, RevTT doesn't fuck around. Posted on the site:

When you download a torrent and leave right away and not gotten 1:1 ratio on that download, while there are lots of leechers left you will get a Hit'n'Run warning..

If you start with any stupid excuses that you had to close because you wanted to play and had to close torrent at the moment it was done then it's not our problem..

When you download something, make sure you got time to seed the file after you done downloading, if you have to do anything else (like play games) after the download is done, then better is to download later and play your games before you download something

All warnings we give have a reason behind them and to try with lame excuses wont help you

Thank you for your time and hope it gave you some information that helped you...

Forum Moderator
SpectatorYeah, RevTT has been getting more and more strict lately. The administration is really cracking down.

leeter
06-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Strict hnr rule disencourages users from downloading any torrents.
If there are few leechers, the tracker consequently becomes inactive and even dead.
The good tracker is the tracker which has lots of seeders, leechers and no hnr rules. Are they inactive due to no hnr rules? Definitely NO. They are far more active than those with strict hnr rule. I'm sure of that.
Personally, I usually seed a few hours after download is completed, if not 2~3 days. Should it be considered hnr? Of course NOT. A few hour seeding is enough especially for those with fast upstream connection, I think.
IMHO, I think hnr rule should be applied only to those with low ratio (whose overall ratio is under 1.00).
I insist those with high ratio have a righteous right not to seed 1:1.