PDA

View Full Version : PCs power on but have no display, ive tried everything, what could be the problem?

Tanner31593
06-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Hello everyone,

I have 2 PCs that im trying to get running for our yard sale coming up,

The first one is a Gateway Essential 500c,
This one has integrated graphics, and no AGP slot (all of the spare graphics cards i have are very old and AGP), and i know for sure by using the process of elimination, that the power supply, RAM, all drives, CPU, and i even checked the battery, and none of those are the problem,
Is it safe to go ahead and buy an old PCI graphics card or could it be something else?

Now, on the next pc,

This is also a gateway, and this one has an AGP slot,
And this machine has the same problem, however, on this one i can change the graphics card, and i tried several working graphics card on this one and sill no luck, and again, process of elimination, i eliminated power supply, RAM, cpu, battery and all that,
Since i currently have no PCI graphics cards that are extra,
It could be that the AGP slot is somehow bad, it has been sitting in my basement in the dust for a long time.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Tanner.

clocker
06-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Did you test both machines on the same monitor?
Could be the monitor is dead and the PCs are fine.

Tanner31593
06-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Yes,
I tested both of them on several different monitors.

peat moss
06-18-2007, 05:40 AM
You could sell for parts or as is , I would wipe out the HDD tho don't leave little surprises such as banking info or short cuts to bum buddies . :pinch:

Salih19
06-18-2007, 11:04 AM
That happen to me once, it was doing my head in, Im not sure what the problem may be but in my case it was the RAM, try taking out the ram and stick it into the other slot, boot and see what happens.

Most people would say its the motherboard, well in my opinion its not the motherboard or the fatherboard! Its somthing that is linked to the motherboard and i say its RAM or CPU.

But try above and let us know what happens, It worked when i done that last time. wish the best! :happy:

clocker
06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Most people would say its the motherboard, well in my opinion its not the motherboard or the fatherboard! Its somthing that is linked to the motherboard and i say its RAM or CPU.

"Most people" are wondering WTF a "fatherboard" is.

mbucari1
06-18-2007, 12:22 PM
i had this problem recently, and it turned out to be my psu. Have you noticed anything else
"weird"?

Salih19
06-18-2007, 12:46 PM

Thats just a saying. LOL ;)

Virtualbody1234
06-18-2007, 03:49 PM

It goes with the motherboard to get a daughterboard ftw! :01:

Or sonboard? :ph34r:

Salih19
06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
hehehe So when does the grandboard and nanboard come in, What about antboard and uncleboard! :O

Tanner31593
06-20-2007, 01:14 AM
come on guys, its 2007,
there's no fatherboard,
its babydaddyboard!

yohanas26
06-28-2007, 02:19 AM
I actually just had that problem with a friends computer. It wasnt the monitor, and it wasnt the motherboard... You know what the problem was? Re-seed the processor. Thats it. Worked immediately after that.

Virtualbody1234
06-28-2007, 02:32 AM
I actually just had that problem with a friends computer. It wasnt the monitor, and it wasnt the motherboard... You know what the problem was? Re-seed the processor. Thats it. Worked immediately after that.

What the hell is "Re-seed the processor"??

Salih19
06-28-2007, 10:43 AM

Now thats exatcly what i was thinking to myself! :D

clocker
06-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Most people prefer the taste of "seedless" processors but some do like the tartness the seeds provide.

Personal preference, really.

Virtualbody1234
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Most people prefer the taste of "seedless" processors but some do like the tartness the seeds provide.

Personal preference, really.

Somehow I knew that you would have the right view about this. :yup:

clocker
06-28-2007, 03:06 PM
It's easy if you close your left eye.

Chewie
07-01-2007, 07:22 AM

I'm sure I saw it on Demonoid:

cpu.amd.64.x2.4200.cracked-CORE.torrent
seeders: 0
leechers: 2

tesco
07-02-2007, 01:36 PM
so, uhh, what is the problem?
You never said. :blink:

edit: didn't read the title :rolleyes:

My bet is on the motherboard, or you fried the processors.

Tanner31593
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok, sorry everyone i didnt know people would still post on this thread,

Well updating,

for the first PC im just assuming the onboard video is bad and i have no PCI video cards to verify that,
And on the second PC i noticed that the AGP Slot is kinda moving around and loose, so it was probably damaged while in my basement.

I should be done with it,
i ordered 2 NVIDIA Riva 128 cards off ebay for $1 each, just to put in there and see if the PCs work,
and they were paid for on June 21st and i have not gotten them yet or heard anything from the seller...... the seller is electronicdistributions in case you were wondering.....i hope im not violating any rules posting that...maybe they got lost in the mail....like the other day i bought a calculator from a guy in the same state as me only like 80 miles away, yet it got "re-routed" to the wrong place and it took a week and a half..........well, thats life for ya.

On top of that the listing said the seller would ship them first class.........yeah, first class....psh.....first class via turtle...ill update when i get them and test them in my PCs

Tanner31593
07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Well,

I emailed the seller and he said the items were on a shelf and the shelf fell and they were damaged......great.....just when you find something for a really good deal lol.......ill update when i get some more.

Gripper
07-13-2007, 07:17 PM

What's wrong with you amateurs,don't you speak double dutch,he means re-seat the processor.

clocker
07-14-2007, 02:10 AM

What's wrong with you amateurs,don't you speak double dutch,he means re-seat the processor.
So there's no manure and water involved, huh?

Oddly, I'm disappointed.