PDA

View Full Version : olive oil vs. spreadable butter (Lurpack)

jimbo12345
06-19-2007, 06:02 AM
clear this up for me. For breakfast, i sometimes partake in a bit of toast and (unsalted) butter scoffing.

My other half, also enjoys toast for breakfast. But, she uses a little olive oil* on her toast.

Granted, it tastes bloody good. But, which is healthier? My Lurpack Spreadable, or her olive oil option? She says its better for the heart and skin than butter. :ermm:

I know olive oil is one of the healthier oils out there, but surely oil on toast is terrible for your health.

*from the olive, not Popeye's lover.

Alien5
06-19-2007, 09:36 AM
How does olive oil compare with butter or margarine?
Butter and margarine are essentially fats like cooking oils. A tablespoon of ordinary butter contains twelve grams of fat, of which 8 grams (66%) are saturated fat. In addition, a serving of butter contains 33 mgs of cholesterol.

Saturated fat and cholesterol have been linked to increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDLs)--the "bad cholesterol." Thus, compared to butter, a serving of olive oil contains much less saturated fat (only 2 grams) and no cholesterol. The comparison with margarine is more difficult because the fat breakdown in margarines varies by manufacturer and ingredient. Margarine typically contains approximately 10 grams of fat per tablespoon. However, to solidify the vegetable oils used to make margarine, the oils have to be hydrogenized. In the hydrogenization process, trans fatty acids are created. Trans fatty acids have a double whammy effect of increasing LDLs and lowering the high density lipoproteins (HDLs)--the "good cholesterol".

jimbo12345
06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
How does olive oil compare with butter or margarine?
Butter and margarine are essentially fats like cooking oils. A tablespoon of ordinary butter contains twelve grams of fat, of which 8 grams (66%) are saturated fat. In addition, a serving of butter contains 33 mgs of cholesterol.

Saturated fat and cholesterol have been linked to increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDLs)--the "bad cholesterol." Thus, compared to butter, a serving of olive oil contains much less saturated fat (only 2 grams) and no cholesterol. The comparison with margarine is more difficult because the fat breakdown in margarines varies by manufacturer and ingredient. Margarine typically contains approximately 10 grams of fat per tablespoon. However, to solidify the vegetable oils used to make margarine, the oils have to be hydrogenized. In the hydrogenization process, trans fatty acids are created. Trans fatty acids have a double whammy effect of increasing LDLs and lowering the high density lipoproteins (HDLs)--the "good cholesterol".

Right, so she's right then! Damnit....i'm always wrong.

Where'd you find that out? Cheers Alien!! :)

Barbarossa
06-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Allen wrote that out himself. He just has the sort of personality that reads like a self-help guide.

jimbo12345
06-19-2007, 10:08 AM
fair play to Alien.

Alien5
06-19-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.chefdepot.net/oliveoilfacts.htm

no problem

Biggles
06-19-2007, 02:49 PM
So have fried bread (using the olive oil) and lob an egg and some black pud into the pan at the same time - that has got to be healthy.

Mr. Mulder
06-19-2007, 02:53 PM
flora all the way you crazy suckas :01:

Alien5
06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
not healthy but healthy(er) :yes:

MagicNakor
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
So have fried bread (using the olive oil) and lob an egg and some black pud into the pan at the same time - that has got to be healthy.

Why not go whole hog and use bacon renderings?

:shuriken:

Mr JP Fugley
06-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi MN.

This topic is pish, obviously, but it's nice to see you about.

How goes it with you.

Biggles
06-19-2007, 09:51 PM

Why not go whole hog and use bacon renderings?

:ermm: Not sure what that is but it sounds dodgy - ordinary streaky bacon would be a nice addition + a few beans and a fried potato scone

I feel quite peckish now.

tesco
06-19-2007, 10:08 PM
sounds good actually I should try that.

MagicNakor
06-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi MN.

How goes it with you.

Horribly. I'm hoping to reemerge once the bankers go away.

MagicNakor
06-20-2007, 07:01 AM
sounds good actually I should try that.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5084/rickyvr4.jpg

Yeah, just dip it in the bacon grease. It's fuckin' awesome.

jimbo12345
06-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi MN.

How goes it with you.

Horribly. I'm hoping to reemerge once the bankers go away.

If you mean me, i'm not going anywhere. I'm not a wanker either.

Nice to meet you magic.:unsure:

MagicNakor
06-20-2007, 07:06 AM
:lol:

If you're one of the bankers that has their fangs in me... Instant bannination. :angry:

jimbo12345
06-20-2007, 07:14 AM
:lol:

If you're one of the bankers that has their fangs in me... Instant bannination. :angry:

I can confirm that i am not one of them. I can barely count. 1.2.3.6. See?

Anyway Magic, nice to meet you. I hope to one day have 6000+ posts too.