PDA

View Full Version : Where is the metal gone?

Elvenmunky
06-19-2007, 05:27 PM
i have been longing for a new album on the level of classics such as Slipknot's first, Deftones - Around the FuR, KoRn - Follow The Leader, Ill Nino's first etc...but all i seem to be hearing is that damn emo stuff!!! Anyone know of any new METAL bands out there?

lee551
06-21-2007, 03:17 AM
c'mon! there's tons of new music out there for EVERY genre imaginable.

the human abstract, scars of tomorrow, heaven shall burn, unearth and twelve tribes released new cds not too long ago, emmure, the burning season, and more.

if you're into that nu-metal type stuff (korn, deftones) chevelle and linkin park just released new cds.

Evil_Monkey
06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I know a few good metal bands with new albums out right now :yup:
Some new some old but all are deffinently not emo :emorod:

Atreyu - A Death-Grip On Yesterday
Poisonblack - Lust Stained Despair
Mushroomhead - Savior Sorrow......................(good substitute for Slipknot)
Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison
Lamb Of God - Sacrament
Chimaira - Resurrection
Caliban - The Awakeing
Still Remains - Of Love And Lunacy
Devildriver - The Fury Of Our Maker's Hand
Trivium - The Crusade
Sanctity - Road To Bloodshed

Ratzy Rox
06-21-2007, 12:05 PM
The nu metal fad died out a while ago and in my mind was worse than the current 'emo' one. Real metal was and is still very much alive, look to Scandinavia, Germany and Italy for some good bands - it'll be a bit of an eye opener for you. http://www.last.fm/place/finland is a list of a fair few quality metal bands although since its a countrywide ranking you still get some popular yet crap music coming through.

finnish metal rocks :>. Sonata Arctica, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Children of Bodom, Apocalyptica...

Thank you for Stam1na, Waltari, Finntroll, Kotiteolisuus, Korpiklaani, Turisas, Ensiferum, Sonata Arctica, and so much more wonderful music!
Those quotes contain some of the best metal around and this is just from finland.

andy_b42
06-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Misery Signals - Mirrors
As I Lay Dying
DevilDriver (the new one "The Last Kind Words" is really good)
All That Remains
Hatebreed
Illdisposed

Theres tonnes of great stuff out there, but i agree you don't tend to find a lot of top notch albums like you used to :(

Adster
06-24-2007, 01:19 PM
get some real metal not shitnot limp dickshit and bands like that

iced earth angel dust dio Iron Maiden Megadeth nethermore Wild steel

get some real metal not shitnot limp dickshit Korn and bands like that call themselves Nu metal

iced earth
angel dust
dio
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
nethermore
Wild stee
Helloween
Overkill
Dream Theater (new album is awsome)

silent h3ro
06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Try Slayer.

S!X
06-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Bullet for my valentine and all the trivium albums :D

SpiderPig
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Scremo.....

Yuck

Brenya
06-25-2007, 03:51 PM
...but all i seem to be hearing is that damn emo stuff!!!

To get a better understanding of what your trying to say, I went to wikipedia

Emo (an abbreviation of "emotionally-driven Hardcore punk") is a term now broadly used to describe almost any form of guitar-driven alternative rock that expresses emotions beyond traditional punk's limited emotional palette of alienation and rage.
Well we aren't talking about punk so I imagine your talking about the sceamo subgenre that came from emo, right? Screamo is usually associated with Metal and metalcore. Again, from wikipedia

Characteristic of the genre are screaming vocals, harmonized guitars, and fast-paced riffs. Breakdowns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_%28-core%29) in screamo songs are often faster and more heavy than in other genres, less of a "beatdown" and more of an opportunity for introspection (and rest for the musicians). Other than that, it is fairly hard to classify (particularly since the rule about screaming vocals is bent fairly often). In addition to that, screamo has significant overlap with other genres like grindcore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindcore) and even post rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_rock).
A good screamo/metalcore band is Avenged Sevenfold. And if you have this image in your mind that all emo/screamo bands are pussies... well let's just say you haven't seen a7x in concert.

Elvenmunky
06-25-2007, 06:37 PM
no offense but the guys voice in a7x does my nut in! yeh i wanted to know if there are any new nu-metal bands on the likes of slipknot and korn and yes...linkin park, im into this sort of music and im proud of it, i grew up with it.

Brenya
06-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah I grew up with Linkin Park too. I remember playing Hybrid Theory all through those Catholic retreats my parents made me go to. :rolleyes:

As for Avenged Sevenfold... vocals sound completely different in Sounding the Seventh Trumpet than City of Evil. So I don't know to which 'voice' you are referring.

Nu Metal isn't the Metal I'm thinking of, then, I guess.

The lyrics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrics) of nu metal songs tend to reflect on the stresses and mishaps of everyday life. Large amounts of teenage angst (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angst) exist in nu metal lyrics and the genre receives massive amounts of criticism for this from the metal purist community at large. Topics covered in this manner range from feelings of alienation, abuse, socio-economic status and relationship/marital difficulties[citation needed] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources). Often, the tone of the songs resemble emotions felt by adolescents, such as intense frustration and being misunderstood. Those who do strongly identify consider this to be affirming, while those who do not tend to perceive the lyrics as being some combination of depressing and juvenile.

I can definitely relate to this genre, but other than the bands previously stated, I don't know of any.

silent h3ro
06-25-2007, 10:43 PM
A good screamo/metalcore band is Avenged Sevenfold. And if you have this image in your mind that all emo/screamo bands are pussies... well let's just say you haven't seen a7x in concert. I will second that. I've never been to one of their concerts but if they come to Detroit I think I might have to go to it. This is one of my favorite bands of all time.

Also, yeah City of Evil, thier newest album, has a much different sound than their older albums. In fact I can't even get my self to enjoy most of the songs on City of Evil but all their older stuff is good.

@Brenya - Oh yea and just because LP may not sound 'hardcore' they are still very good (Hybrid Theory and their remix CDs). :)

Bullet for my valentine and all the trivium albums :D
:yes: Although those bands might be too 'emo' for this guy...

SaveFerris
06-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Start looking to the past instead of the present. That's my advice. ;)

Elvenmunky
06-26-2007, 11:27 AM
cheers guys

phrenzy
06-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Seems like most of these new bands tend to lean towards death/black metal and the others fall into emo to me... Whats left... not much.. Where has the good ol metal gone to...

Brenya
06-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Rush ftw!

Adster
06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
god I hate that fuckin word Emo it isn't even a word stupid modern teenagers come up with it ffs

I am for Christ sack all music is *emotional* in some way

Elvenmunky
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
emo music is for rich kids who claim thier life is shit.

pietaster
06-28-2007, 06:17 AM
metal sucks listen to real music heres real music

:pietasters, mustard plug, toasters, dance hall crashers, the police, the clash,the ramones, madness,the jam, iggy & the stooges, the buzzcocks, the boys, bob marley , billy idol, the briefs, social distortion

Elvenmunky
06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I kinda grew up with The Police (family influence)

tomizm
06-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Real metal? I reccomend "Cock and ball torture" :D Insane vocal, man :)
I kinda grew up on Linkin Park too, but later i was more into the harder stuff, liek Nothingface or Soil. And now, i like the calmer music, again :) It's called evolution.

DynamiteKidA
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
god I hate that fuckin word Emo it isn't even a word stupid modern teenagers come up with it ffs

I am for Christ sack all music is *emotional* in some way

John Lennon was as "emo" as it gets. :)

metal maniac
08-13-2007, 09:40 AM
metal sucks listen to real music heres real music

:pietasters, mustard plug, toasters, dance hall crashers, the police, the clash,the ramones, madness,the jam, iggy & the stooges, the buzzcocks, the boys, bob marley , billy idol, the briefs, social distortion
Some of that isn't even good punk or qualifies as punk!! Though there are a few bands mentioned that are good most you mentioned suck! Real punk is Sex pistols, Misfits, Fear, D.A.B., Black Flag, The Exploited stuff like that. Only good bands from your list are The Ramones, Iggy pop(some stuff), Buzzcocks(they're ok), Billy Idol(some songs too) and Social Distortion the rest you mentioned is total shit!! Ska and reggae garbage!! So don't go bashing metal if you listen to crap and for your sake I hope you're a girl with pink text like that!!!

Necrophag
08-13-2007, 10:57 PM
i have been longing for a new album on the level of classics such as Slipknot's first, Deftones - Around the FuR, KoRn - Follow The Leader, Ill Nino's first etc...but all i seem to be hearing is that damn emo stuff!!! Anyone know of any new METAL bands out there?

But you have quoted bands which have no talent and is not metal. So no classics there. For the record alot of brilliant metal albums are being produced by amazing bands right now, 2004 right through to 2007 has been very good for metal bands. Alot of talent, just look and don't go for these rap metal bands which are complete and utter shite, mtv garbage, kids line up stuff:yup: