PDA

View Full Version : How balsamic vinegar nearly just killed me....

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Be aware of the dangers of balsamic vinegar. :ermm: I'm at my g/f's and tried my hand at making a nice onion and red-wine jam thing recipe i found on the net.

All was going well until i added the red wine, and then some balsamic vinegar. I guess it was the fumes from that that set off the fire alarm. I tried to turn it off, but there was no button. I tried to rip it off, that wasnt happening either. Then the gas turned off. The alarm was sooo loud, and i was worried the sprinklers would go off, which would definitely mean no sex for a long time.

In Beijing, everyone lives in apartment blocks. My g/f is lucky to live in one of the best here (as am i for the time being :yup:).

I tried to use the intercom thingy to get the security and maintenance up, bt couldnt figure it out.

Imagine my surprise (more to the point, i nearly shit myslef and let out a highly girly scream) when i open the door to go downstairs and some fuckers weilding an axe towards me.:w00t::pinch::cry: Luckily, jimbo12345 is in 1 piece still.

Apparently they had knocked, but cos of the alarm, i didnt here them. So they were about to make tinderwood of the door/my skull.

SO, never cook with balsamic vinegar, or if you do, in a well ventalated place. Fact.

My heart is still pounding now...and the food taste likes shite.

Mr. Mulder
06-21-2007, 08:37 AM
you could have just put some on some chips lyke :smilie4:

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 08:44 AM
i was trying to impress the missus....all very well having my clitoral wings now, but lil' jimbo12345 feels he deserves more felatio time.

Though, havinh text her, she aint to pleased, as she thinks i nearly burnt the place down.

Oh well, i'll meet her in the middle. Angry sex it is.

popopot
06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Wasted red wine as well - too bad.

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Wasted red wine as well - too bad.

See, not really. We had a bottle of Chilean that didnt taste so good, so i did what i usually did and put it in a freezer tray and froze it. I usually add to gravies and the such, and thus stops wasting wine and always on hand if i wanna cook.

It was the vinegars fault...i thought it had a server top, but it was wide open, so my "splash" turned into a tidalwave.

Sod it, i'm in China. I have all the foods from around the world deliverable for less than a few pounds.

Skweeky
06-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Can you get Chinese delivered as well in China? o_O

I'm only asking because in the UK you don't get anyone delivering Yorkshire pudding, or bangers and mash.

So just wondering...

popopot
06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Have you tried dog?

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 09:19 AM
yeah, it's not common for people to cook here. In beijing theres other 20,000 Chinese restaurants alone. I regulary order in, though a lot of the stuff on Chinese menus in the UK are solely for the Brits, kinda like most indian dishes there.

I can get what you'd guys call a chinese banquet for about a pound, delivered in 20 mins. And it's a million times better than back home. Plus, although China's got a lot of food scares, we only use the best restaurants.

Mcdonalds in the best. I can call up for 1 Big Mac burger, and someone will be at my door within 10 mins, or it's free. No delivery fees. Greatr place for stoners.

The pizzas here are immense also.

Plus, Japanese, Thai, Afghan, Indonesian, Malay restaurants are all over the place, and soo good. I have lived and been all over the world, and this place beats them all for food.

AND GREAT BEERS!! Saying that, i had a well welcomed Wifebeater last night. Though most of us dring Erdinger.

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Have you tried dog?

Yeah, though it's normally at the Korean bbq restaurants. They have a bbq in the middle of the table (indoors) with a huge vent. YOu order all the food raw, veg etc, and cook it yourself.

The local supermarket near here, my Italian friend once went in and bought what he thought was a pre-cooked chicken. Twas a lil' dog.

Not into dog meat though, but try everyting once!

popopot
06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Do they use MSG, or is that just a special treat for us?

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Food and eating is the main social thing here for Chinese. I've never seen a city with so much choice, and with the Olympics coming, it's getting to be my favorite city in the world.

Watch Discovery Channel, they show all the buildings they are creating for the Olympics. I work next door to the new CCTV skyscraper (2 leaning towers with a bridge...looks mental!), a first in engineering. And at my g/fs house, i can see the "birdsnest" stadium and swimming centre. The swimming centre is immense and a world 1st. It's built based on the basics of mother natures consructions, and is made of bubbles in the middle.

I'm a lucky guy right now. There more construction going on in Beijing this year than in the entire of Europe. Immense!

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Do they use MSG, or is that just a special treat for us?

They use MSG, but all food is cooked to order so ust tell them not. So you know, MSG is better for you than salt. I'll try to find the article...hang on..

popopot
06-21-2007, 09:29 AM
I watched Paul Merton's tour of China. China looks great - if a little crazy.

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 10:04 AM
yeah mate, the place is mental. But hard to stereotype like that. It's like saying people in Spain are the same as Brits. It's that large a place, each province has it's own culture/food/clothing...and it's so vastly different. And, you see mainly the north and east and south coast only (the developed area). More than half live in the countryside (the west/central) and some have never seen a phone/white guy.)

People in Shanghai are totally different to people in BJ. They say SH people are a lot like londoners. Ie ....we are not from England, we are from SH. I'm lucky wiht my job i get to research chinese culture and travel alot.

I love England, but it's sooo boring and predictable.AND EXPENSIVE. And there's a lot of money to be made here, be you a english teacher, business analyst, software engineer.

If anyone on here ever wanted to visit, we have a spare room. YOu can get flights from UK from 300 quid up, and if you bring 100 quid for a month, you'd go home with change.

My g/f has a 4 bedroom apartment, 2 lounges, kitchen, 3 toilets, cleaner for life!, 2 offices, 4 balconies, all for the pricely sum of 40,000 pounds.

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 10:11 AM
I watched Paul Merton's tour of China. China looks great - if a little crazy.

I saw this also thanks to file sharing! He did show the crazy side, and i think that was the point.

Everyone that comes here never wants to go home. Why would you? Lots of foreigners so cant get lonely, cheap as hell, more technologically advanced than Europe, soo much culture, friendly people, best kinds of food at best prices, police cant arrest you (they can...but it'd take a lot), great wages for foreigners. My mate came over and didn't get as much as h did in UK, but saves about 80% of his salary every month. In uk, he was always skint.

I am lucky, i have a great job and good set of friends. ML and I went to a meal the other night and on our table we had Afghans, Italians, Colombians, Ozzies, Japs, Chinese, Koreans, Norwegians etc etc around the table. And they are our friends!

And, to all you pot-heads in UK, the weed is better than any of that "superskunk" you think is the best thing in the world. This place borders Afghanistan, next to Thailand/Laos/Pakistan/India. And it's a 10th of the price. I'm told.:yup:

Fromagepas
06-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Why would you press a fire alarm when you were cooking. That seems a bit mental if there wasn't a fire. Seems like you caused this whole fiascotic debacle yourself.

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Why would you press a fire alarm when you were cooking. That seems a bit mental if there wasn't a fire. Seems like you caused this whole fiascotic debacle yourself.

Ok smart arse...the SMOKE alarm set off. i tried to turn that off, but it had no button.

I notice your name is fromage pas....are you French? I love you guys!!

Excuse my misuse of words.

Fromagepas
06-21-2007, 12:47 PM

Ok smart arse...the SMOKE alarm set off. i tried to turn that off, but it had no button.

I notice your name is fromage pas....are you French? I love you guys!!

Excuse my misuse of words.

Something about buttons being a turn-off, was that it.

jimbo12345
06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
absolutely. though, not all. ;)