PDA

View Full Version : Windows Longhorn?

super_science_monkey
06-17-2003, 03:15 AM
the newest build of longhorn is also unstable.

bilbo4987
06-17-2003, 10:41 AM
People, what's the rush with Longhorn? You want it just because it's the New Thing? First of all, it'll only be released in 2005, so it's not even close to completion, and second, that's Microsoft we're talking about, it'll be buggy as hell even when released.

Ad
06-17-2003, 12:16 PM
just wait till it comes out it full of bug becasue its in alpha stage

Spindulik
06-17-2003, 03:09 PM
I have no desire to try LongHorn at this time. Using a preleased version is like telling Microsoft "Hey, I have a pirated version of the New Windows Operating System". That is what LongHorn is all about!

heywoodjablowme
06-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Actualy microsoft released longhorn from their website awhile back they want people to use it to be their free beta testers... im still looking for a legit copy though as all i have found are fakes

wolfman10_2000
06-17-2003, 07:48 PM
I has longhorn on another portion on my frive and its pretty cool.
Very UNSTABLE though but it looks like microsoft is actually doing OK
the shitty part is there might be alot of spyware when they actually release it :angry:

-Mike

ultimatejester
06-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by super_science_monkey@17 June 2003 - 03:15
the newest build of longhorn is also unstable.
thts cuz its still in beta, but wait till it comes out, its gonna be full with spyware.

Pitbul
06-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@17 June 2003 - 08:09
I have no desire to try LongHorn at this time. Using a preleased version is like telling Microsoft "Hey, I have a pirated version of the New Windows Operating System". That is what LongHorn is all about!
unless ur legit and have papers or dignified evendence that this is true plz do not post claiming u know everything. if this is true there would be evidence showing some where and that is an invasion of privacy in which microsoft would get shut down. but all ur going by it what u heard or think u know.i just asked if n e one has tried it.im not gonna use it but i was wondering if n e one has or what its like.

Xilo
06-18-2003, 02:09 AM
Btw, it's not illegal to download and use beta/alpha software. Otherwise, tons of sites would be shutdown already by Microsoft. They know stuff is leaked and people download them and know the sites people goto to download them but Microsoft doesn't really care. Sure, they do occasionally ask different websites to take the links down to certain things but still it's a very small amount that they do this with. I mean, how else are they going to improve their products and fix bugs? :lol: This also lets Microsoft see just how the masses react to their upcoming products and how popular they are outsite the beta tester list. Also, usually it's almost the same people that beta test for each product to..

Corleone
06-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Longhorn is almost the same as Windows XP. Only people want to buy it because it is new. Windows 98 is still the best and stabelest of all windowses. :D

wienerschnitzel
06-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Longhorn is almost the same as Windows XP

yes, but prettier

Windows 98 is still the best and stabelest of all windowses.

No, are you on something?

ultimatejester
06-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Xilo@18 June 2003 - 02:09
Btw, it's not illegal to download and use beta/alpha software. Otherwise, tons of sites would be shutdown already by Microsoft. They know stuff is leaked and people download them and know the sites people goto to download them but Microsoft doesn't really care. Sure, they do occasionally ask different websites to take the links down to certain things but still it's a very small amount that they do this with. I mean, how else are they going to improve their products and fix bugs? :lol: This also lets Microsoft see just how the masses react to their upcoming products and how popular they are outsite the beta tester list. Also, usually it's almost the same people that beta test for each product to..
Xilo is right 2. how else will microsft no about the bugs they have in longhorn unless ppl download the beta version.

balamm*
06-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester@18 June 2003 - 10:06
Xilo is right 2. how else will microsft no about the bugs they have in longhorn unless ppl download the beta version.
good question. here's the answer.

MS will sometimes contact you through a message at the download center, or at the administrator tools page or through email if you've previously registered for a beta program or belong to one of their certification programs.
Or you can search out new products and try to find a beta site to register at, or you can try the hit and miss approach and just mass email them with the filename or software title you're interested in entered as the subject and all relevant info in the text( they really don't give a shit if you have all the shiniest, latest, most over rated hardware - A p2 or K6-2 has just as much chance because it's a real world test). If they like it and have an opening, they'll contact you. It can take anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 weeks to get a response.
They'll send you a confirmation email first, then a confidentiality statement with your info and the link to login. after you download the ISO, you can log into a private newsgroup and watch as some major pricks try to pass themselves off as Microsoft employees. If you find a bug in the software, don't discuss it there. If you don't have some logo after your name you're shit and your opinions don't matter.
Send a report to MS and they'll usually respond to it or refer you to a link or newsgroup article or they'll do a follow up which you can track through development.
So..... what do you get out of it?
NADA!

You get to stress over some buggy shit running on your computer while it's constantly sending reports back to MS

That's it!

http://ntbeta.microsoft.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/be...nominations.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/betanominations.asp)

http://betatester.tin.it/en/tester.htm

Here's a tip for getting rid of the annoying test build text in earlier betas>

To remove the "For Testing Purposes" from the desktop,
Open regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates
and delete the folder under it:
2BD63D28D7BCD0E251195AEB519243C13142EBC3
Then go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA\Certificates
and delete the folder under it:
FEE449EE0E3965A5246F000E87FDE2A065FD89D4
Restart Windows and "For Testing Purposes" will be gone.

Xilo
06-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Yes I know how Microsoft's beta system works. I'm in two of them right now ;) I was being a bit sarcastic you know lol. Oh and that thing with removing the testing build does not work on some builds. On some builds it will really screw up your system...

Wizzandabe
06-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Damm longhorn been out for ages, I would install it to see what it is like, Whwn i installed it i did a upgrade form win98, reading about it now that wasen't a good idea, but you know, I wasen't to know. :rolleyes:

balamm*
06-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Xilo@18 June 2003 - 16:04
Yes I know how Microsoft's beta system works. I'm in two of them right now ;) I was being a bit sarcastic you know lol. Oh and that thing with removing the testing build does not work on some builds. On some builds it will really screw up your system...
The reply was meant for ultimatejester who spammed every thread here last night without much thought to what he was spamming about.
I thought he might take the time to become informed.

The reg hack didn't work in .Net, you're correct. They had figured it out by then. That's why I listed it "for earlier builds"

Paintshop pro and a retouched bitmap didn't even work.
I finally got rid of it about the time it was RTM but there wasn't much point then lol.

* I noticed you didn't disagree with the part about the newsgroup. I'm guessing I wasn't too far off there?

Xilo
06-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Ah k, guess i missread it. But yes there are alot of prics on the newsgroups though. But there are usually chat sessions with the devs so they can get 1 to 1 feedback and most of the time they can be pretty helpful.