PDA

View Full Version : DVD-RW 2x or 4x ?

digmen1
06-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Guys

I have just started burning DVD's.

I notice there are 2 basic types of RW's 2x and 4x.

Obviously 4x burn faster, I just wanted to know if it is best to use 2x for safety or price ?

Any comments ?

regards

Digby
NZ

Go Team New Zealand ! (America's Cup that is)

tesco
06-24-2007, 09:23 PM
If they're rated for 4x then they shouldn't have any problems being burned on at 4x.

IMO if 4x cost much more than 2x don't buy it, unless the speed means a lot to you. For the same price def. buy 4x. :)

Virtualbody1234
06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
What do you mean buy safety? DVD RW is for temporary data use. If you are wanting it to be more permanent then use DVD±R. If that's what you mean by "safety".

As for RW for temporary data use, get the fastest that your burner supports.

digmen1
06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for that.

As for safety, the only thing I have heard is that RW is less safe as it can be erased. That is the disk quality is just as good for long term storage.

Regards

Digby
NZ

Go Team New Zealand 2 - 1 up !

lynx
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
The point is that with write once media, once a bit is switched it can't go back. It is a permanent physical and chemical change.

On rewritable media it can be switched back, possibly by strong sunlight, heat or even cosmic rays, so although the media quality is as good (probably better), it is inherently unsafe for long term storage.

Anyway, with such a low comparative price for DVD±R it isn't worthwhile wasting your time on RW media for permanent or semi-permanent storage.

Skiz
06-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I buy Memorex DVD+R's on eBay at around 25cents per disc.(100 stack) If I mess up, I just throw it away.

I've burned hundreds of movies and only had around 5 bad burns.

The main point is to make sure your DVD player is going to play whatever media you purchase.

Virtualbody1234
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for that.

As for safety, the only thing I have heard is that RW is less safe as it can be erased. That is the disk quality is just as good for long term storage.

Regards

Digby
NZ

Go Team New Zealand 2 - 1 up !

Why would you pay more for a RW disk and keep the data long term?

The whole point of RW is to use it over and over. Temporarily!