PDA

View Full Version : Who has modded their Wii?

suprafreak6
06-25-2007, 03:46 AM
Im looking for someone who has modded their wii. Im considering buying a wii. I think im going to mod it once i get it. Anyone have their views on playing backups or the installation please let me know.

S!X
06-25-2007, 05:50 AM
One of my friends has a modded wii (Wii key). The only thing that you gotta make sure of is that you buy the right dvds cause the wii is very picky.. I've got fujifilm DVD+R's which i've used to burn games for him on and they work without a hitch. It's more or less trial and error..

shosh
06-25-2007, 06:15 AM
i modded my wii
its now 10 inches long with blue and green LEDs running down the sides
and it makes a cougar noise

suprafreak6
06-25-2007, 06:52 AM
i modded my wii

hey sunshine i meant modded by adding a modchip not adding led's even tho that is cool. nice job

One of my friends has a modded wii (Wii key). The only thing that you gotta make sure of is that you buy the right dvds cause the wii is very picky.. I've got fujifilm DVD+R's which i've used to burn games for him on and they work without a hitch. It's more or less trial and error..

yeah im lookin at the wiikey, ask him how hard the installation was. and what his level of soldering expertise is. I need to pick up a solder gun and some solder to practice with on something, maybe an old mother board or something...ive never done it

SirGray
06-25-2007, 07:00 AM
i modded my wii

I think he was being sarcastic lol.

S!X
06-25-2007, 07:07 AM
yeah im lookin at the wiikey, ask him how hard the installation was. and what his level of soldering expertise is. I need to pick up a solder gun and some solder to practice with on something, maybe an old mother board or something...ive never done it

He got it done by some guy who runs a videogame store downtown, it was like $60 I think. :mellow:

suprafreak6
06-26-2007, 12:00 AM
darn...hmm..soldering cant be THAT hard can it? I need something i can practice on first...

Busyman™
06-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Think about it this way. If a store mods it they are liable if they fuck up.

If it's only $60 I think it's worth the pain taken away from doin' it yerself.

That's only a little bit more than a Wii game so it pays for itself in less than 2 games time.

suprafreak6
06-26-2007, 04:44 AM
but busyman, i dont got any reliable places to do it around here in chicago. You know? shipping is a bitch nowadays..i was looking on sites some were charging like 90 including shipping back. and that is without the chip, you send chip with...so im thinking it cant be THAT hard...just train with soldering first a lil bit, right? anyone know of anyways i can train? or practice?

Smith
06-26-2007, 05:32 AM
soldering is easy, you heat the wires first..apply the solder slowely..cos the the heat will pull it into the wires.

Cheese
06-26-2007, 07:16 AM
It's a simple soldering job according to my mates, you must know someone who can solder shirley?

I have at least three people to call on to do it for me (I can't solder myself like) but I think I'll be calling on my mate who has already chipped his own Wii (that way I can have his in the unlikely circumstance of him fecking it up).

Personally, I wouldn't trust a shop to do it because if it does go wrong and they tell you to fuck off then who do you complain to? Same thing goes for shipping it off somewhere (and that's if you ever see your Wii again . . .).

shosh
06-26-2007, 01:52 PM
if you dont know anything about soldering i say dont do it if you never done it before. you can get that solder wire all over the place and short circuit it. on the wii, those joints are really small and close together, so if you dont have a steady hand you can get the stuff all over the place. you can get the chips where you only put the solder onto the holes that they provide, but its a bitch getting the mod chip out if nintendo updates the firmware to render the chip and wii useless

suprafreak6
06-26-2007, 08:50 PM
hmm..im definatly gonna do it, cause i dont know anyone who is good at soldering (btw im 16) and if i was in school i could have a tech teacher do it for me but schools out. I think im gonna get a practice board and some wire, and just practice soldering on it...im sure it would be better than soldering for the first time on the wii itself correct?

S!X
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I think im gonna get a practice board and some wire, and just practice soldering on it...im sure it would be better than soldering for the first time on the wii itself correct?

Yes.

Cheese
06-27-2007, 01:53 AM
(btw im 16)

Surely you have a dad, an uncle or a butch auntie who knows how to solder or knows someone who can.

suprafreak6
06-27-2007, 02:12 AM
(btw im 16)

Surely you have a dad, an uncle or a butch auntie who knows how to solder or knows someone who can.

my dad could attempt but he hasnt done it before...hell i bought all the equipemnt i need, now its time to practice...

Cheese
06-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Good luck, though I still think you should interrogate your dad to tell you if one of his mate's is a solderer.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
hmm..im definatly gonna do it, cause i dont know anyone who is good at soldering (btw im 16) and if i was in school i could have a tech teacher do it for me but schools out. I think im gonna get a practice board and some wire, and just practice soldering on it...im sure it would be better than soldering for the first time on the wii itself correct?

Make sure you have a fag first. I heard that they release tension if you put one in your mouth.:O

suprafreak6
06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
...a fag? lol what do you mean by that specifically? Anyways im gonna practice soldering before i actually do it, hopefully ill get alot better with the practice board i got...

did you mean like cig?

my first attempt for soldering turned out pretty damn good, from what ive seen is good online and what is bad, mine is pretty good...i just put a resistor onto a pc board..im gonna try again later because i have to go out right now, noone told me it was easy...

im really thinking this isnt gonna be that hard after looking at this http://www.ps2-scene.org/m37r01d/Wiikey%20review.html

SirGray
06-27-2007, 07:07 PM
yes he means cig, its a common term in British and Australian culture.
anyway, just remember to eat before you start soldering because if you haven't eaten you tend to be very shaky.

yohanas26
06-28-2007, 02:16 AM
I had my Wii soldered as soon as the Wiikey came out. Its one of the best things Ive ever done! =) The only thing Im dissapointed about are the firmware updates for Wiikey. They've been having delays in releasing the first firmware update for the past month and a half now.... I just hope it comes out soon enough.

suprafreak6
06-28-2007, 03:27 AM
so i think im pretty decent at soldering...question tho, when you solder you know the contact pad (the gold part of the circle) how long should it take to heat that up when touching the iron to it...

suprafreak6
07-31-2007, 03:36 PM
update!

i just modded my wii with the wiikey...it wasnt all too hard. Except key thing is not to shake because the area that you have to work with is redicoulsly small.
anyways it works just got a backup of resident evil 4, tested it out...works without a hitch, as for the media crisis...both my sony discs and my friends fujifilm work without a problem, so ill probably go try to take all of his dvd-r's since im almost done with mine

thanks guys!
fag in mouth, helps
food before, not so much...the sugar makes you shake, so i had to wait off after i ate

Seedler
07-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Who has modded their Wii

:glag:

That's priceless.

Yes, I modded my wee, it now has an impression length of 12 inches, and circumference of 30 inches.

Along with added LED lights, and scented with a hint of lavender, the ladies now love to play with my Wii.:dabs:

SingaBoiy
07-31-2007, 11:04 PM
update!

i just modded my wii with the wiikey...it wasnt all too hard. Except key thing is not to shake because the area that you have to work with is redicoulsly small.
anyways it works just got a backup of resident evil 4, tested it out...works without a hitch, as for the media crisis...both my sony discs and my friends fujifilm work without a problem, so ill probably go try to take all of his dvd-r's since im almost done with mine

thanks guys!
fag in mouth, helps
food before, not so much...the sugar makes you shake, so i had to wait off after i ate

If you're in America... there is no need to put a fag in your mouth :lol: Cigarette maybe. Unless you're into that kinda thing

@Seedler - Can a see your modded wee? ;)

suprafreak6
08-01-2007, 04:28 AM
yeah :lol: take some pics for us to see!

Smith
08-01-2007, 06:44 PM

Im 17, whats your point. Why not practice a bit first on some spare wire?

suprafreak6
08-02-2007, 04:50 PM
i did...and then i modded it, and it was sucessful...lol

maebach
08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I want to mod my Wii, but Im afraid of Nintendo bricking the Wii through Wiiconnect24. People have had their Wiis bricked (not with Wiikey) with a modchip. Im going to wait a little bit to see what Nintendo has in store. If they dont pull anything soon, I'll get it modded.

BTW: Where do you guys download the isos?

suprafreak6
08-10-2007, 05:08 AM
TL is what i gots...i just turned off Wiiconnect24...so i got no worries btw system heats up even when off if you have wiiconnect 24 on