PDA

View Full Version : Alternative rating method?

fstrulz
06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Someone suggested from another thread in the BitTorrent section that the ranking should be based on: speed, content, pretimes, and rarity (all together).

If that's the case, I think with 2.5 points max for each criteria (speed, content, pretimes, rarity), it would be for:

TL: speed(2), content(2.5), pretimes(2), rarity(.5) = lvl 7 (rounded off)

FTN: speed(2), content(2), pretimes(2.5), rarity(2) = lvl 9 (rounded off)

SCT: speed(2.5), content(2.5), pretimes(2), rarity(1.5) = lvl 9 (rounded off)

This is just a suggestion... What do you guys think?

mikechrobot
06-24-2007, 10:19 PM
i think this is good way of measuring how good a tracker is and therefore should be considered as a replacement to the current level system

Sylar666
06-24-2007, 10:24 PM
I like fstrulz' s concept. Math always is factful. Let us applicate this method on major trackers, and based on experience amandments can be made. The main goal of Leveling, targeting, segmenting - at the end of the day functionality what really counts. And it's helpful for The User (trader) as well.
Good job!

Daniel
06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes I could see a new rating based on more than rarity as well, as I've already made a suggestion to that a few pages earlier. The topic of this thread is still "what invites are worth" and therefore, any change has to be made carefully. In the beginning the rarity should be weighted highest above all other criteria to not reverse the whole list with introducing a new rating system.

KFlint
06-24-2007, 11:27 PM
i think that the actual way of rating tracker by rarity is ok, because the title of the trade is "what invites are worth" not which is the best tracker to get. It's like everything, there is value associated with rarity.

why diamond are expensive... because they are rare

why honus wagner baseball card worths 300,000$, because it's very very rare...!

not because honus wagner was the best baseball player of all time, there are other kind of rankings for that

i think people are questionning the ranking now that sct and ftn aren't at the top level anymore. Because they were the best trackers, it was natural to see them at top rank also. What happen these days, is that shitty tracker are the rarest, but we don't know what will happen in the months to come, maybe a top site will return to level 10 and uk-t drop to 8, we cannot predict the future

hope you see my point here

so patriot and buggyme, you are doing a good job with this thread i think

Daniel
06-25-2007, 03:20 AM
i think that the actual way of rating tracker by rarity is ok, because the title of the trade is "what invites are worth" not which is the best tracker to get. It's like everything, there is value associated with rarity.
Well, I think you have a point because this is still a list that is used as a basis for trading invites and accounts. On the other hand, quality and true value of a tracker isn't displayed distinctively enough and some people, including me, are missing this. If there's no way to change the whole level and rating issue by recreating a new formula for it, maybe more should be done about the ratings then.

While it's good that the best ratings (9 and 10) are very rare, too little thought was put into the ratings of "average" trackers. In fact, most listed trackers range from 6 to 8 with hardly any tracker below that number. Why is that? Almost 90 trackers are hardly distinguishable by their ratings even though they're worlds apart in reality. Is that a problem of keeping the list up to date or has it always been this way? I mean, some tracker has to be the worst, why hold back with giving ratings of 2, 3, 4 or 5?

Furthermore, separate lists with directly comparable trackers (ie only/mainly music, elearning/books, tv and a large list of 0day and general) would help to create a working rating even more. Then they could be rated with complete disregard to their level.

redMonster
06-25-2007, 03:48 AM
I agree with the suggestion of a new rating system. And I also suggest that the topic of this thread should be changed to Tracker Reviews or something like that.

REVTTtorrent
06-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Someone suggested from another thread in the BitTorrent section that the ranking should be based on: speed, content, pretimes, and rarity (all together).

If that's the case, I think with 2.5 points max for each criteria (speed, content, pretimes, rarity), it would be for:

TL: speed(2), content(2.5), pretimes(2), rarity(.5) = lvl 7 (rounded off)

FTN: speed(2), content(2), pretimes(2.5), rarity(2) = lvl 9 (rounded off)

SCT: speed(2.5), content(2.5), pretimes(2), rarity(1.5) = lvl 9 (rounded off)

This is just a suggestion... What do you guys think?

I agree With u mate

really Good Idea that should be the new system Ratings

upGrayde
06-25-2007, 05:13 AM
if that system is adopted (and i hope it is, it appears to grade accurately), ftn speed should be at 1.5

yea you get good speeds on the relative new torrents, but after that, the speed drops dramatically with very little seeders and user activity (yeah yeah yeah)

medo
06-25-2007, 05:17 AM
very good idea

i hope to update the ratings with this gr8 idea

fstrulz
06-25-2007, 05:43 AM
if that system is adopted (and i hope it is, it appears to grade accurately), ftn speed should be at 1.5

yea you get good speeds on the relative new torrents, but after that, the speed drops dramatically with very little seeders and user activity (yeah yeah yeah)

Good point, mate... But I think it's the same situation with most trackers when torrents gradually die (maybe with the exception of SCT, where many users have seedboxes). And in FTN, with old torrents with even just 1 seeder, I still get very good speeds over 1 MBytes/s.

monk3y
06-25-2007, 06:21 AM
i think that rarity should stay the main theme of this thread and not speed content etc... because people will still trade by the rarity of the tracker.

akkk
06-25-2007, 06:50 AM
And the coontent is rated in the [], so I think the idea of levels by rarity is good.

redMonster
06-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I do not agree. At least the newbies will not go for the rarity and concentrate on the content. Content should be the main focus of this thread.

Shalafi
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
who cares about content or pretimes or speed?

all we are here for rarity.

Skiz
06-25-2007, 08:21 AM
I've split these posts away from the WIAW thread.

1. Keep that thread on-topic.

2. This appears to be worthy of brainstorming.

redMonster
06-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Let's make a poll instead, which one is more important for you, content or rarity.

raspberry1331
06-25-2007, 08:31 AM
I see one major setback: newbies will flood the invites section with requests like TL for SCT based on the new rating system, and these just won't happen, simply because there are much more TL invites out there than SCT, so there will be a lot of confusion and anger.

limpdickkid
06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I beg to differ. I think the current standard is fine. If you want to know which tracker has good content just use the find option (Ctrl+F) and do a search for "[10]" and then "[9]" to see which trackers have the best content, and if you're after content then you can go for those trackers. But if you're after rarity you can go for trackers that have higher rarity.
I say this because if you change the rarity scale from 10 to 2.5 that'll make it very difficult to separate the extremely rare and good trackers from the general trackers that have good content. I mean this way you would even have to rate BitSoup pretty high, as the only thing that loses on is speeds.

bluelion
06-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I see one major setback: newbies will flood the invites section with requests like TL for SCT based on the new rating system, and these just won't happen, simply because there are much more TL invites out there than SCT, so there will be a lot of confusion and anger.

in some parts you are right but i think some trackers are overrated and some underrated, so i would like wiaw to be more offenly revised

SgtMajor
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
There is no reason why they can't run together, we have the "official" ranking system, the one currently in use and used by everyone and understood by everyone, and things go on as normal.

Then there is the "user" rating system, where the thing that matters is the ability to get stuff to your PC as quickly as possible both by pre time & ability to leech & seed trackers.

This would allow the seasoned veteran (poster) the ability to differentiate to other users that what matters is old school rarity of tracker, and also point out to newer members that content and speed is what matters first & foremost to those just starting out.

Then, when X suggests he is offering TL for ScT etc, he can be gently pointed towards the old school system of the rarity & elite system of acquiring trackers, but that what he has should not be dismissed with disdain due to TL rating highly on the "user" rating system.

It would also allow those who only want content & speed to ignore the rarity factor, and concentrate on the more accessible trackers within the user system.

Thoughts?

saulin
06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
who cares about content or pretimes or speed?

all we are here for rarity.

No man. A lot of people actually use the trackers to download stuff not just for trading and the whole rating system makes it so that rarity is the main rating and well all new people start aiming for higher level trackers and they start getting screwed by really stupid trades because they really don't know any better.

I personally think that people that offer 200-300 gig buffered accounst for an invite to any tracker are retarted or really don't know any better. They see FTN or Uk-T as very high level trackers and think that an invite to those tarckers will actually be worth everything they got.

Overrated trackers really need to be properly reviewed and rated accordingly.

I say fuck rarity. Quality is what matters. If FTN deserves to be level 10 because it really is a kick ass tracker so be it. But not simply because it's hard to get invites there. Now people asking for FTN invites for TL invites? Sure it will happen but at least people will know that FTN is not that much better than TL. In fact I can't see it being better with only 5000 users.

I believe that trading is retarted and with a better rating system more people would be willing to share rather than to just trade to get very rare trackers.

ps2king
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
yeah its a good idea, but the problem is that say TL and and another site were level 7 and they are easy to get invites cos you get 4 per week in TL, then you would have people trying to trade them for ftn which is much harder to get an invite. cos ftn is only 1 invite request per week for ftn power and above..

but i do like the new system, it will need a lot of work but maybe its time for the change

timmah3
06-25-2007, 11:33 AM
great idea for tl u 'll get almost everything:D

game1283
06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I agree to ALL of you, making me to go for my own punto-de-vista (point-of-view), Why just we keep the old rating system (based on rarity) and then make a new one (based on contents, speeds, etc.) so that we have two RATING SYSTEMS, one based on rarity, (used by traders) and one based on content (used by those who needs contents more than rarity)

thoughts??

Ultramorpg
06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Those who want high lvl trackers will say "yeah m8 gr8 1d3a"
Those who have high lvl trackers will tend to say "we only trade for rarity"

It's a good idea to know how good a tracker might be, but not how difficult will be to get it, of course... So, this system has not what it takes to replace the one we have. No one will give FTN for TL+some crap, whether it's written in a list or not.

ps2king
06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
yeah i say make a poll an see how many vote for it. also it would be good to hear what more of the staff think of the idea

SHALL I MAKE A POLL

timmah3
06-25-2007, 12:02 PM
yeah i say make a poll an see how many vote for it. also it would be good to hear what more of the staff think of the idea

SHALL I MAKE A POLL

i think it isnt good idea becouse there is a lot of people with tl invites

ps2king
06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
i know i said this earlier, but tl doesnt have to be level 7. it could be 6. but i do think its time for the system to be revamped

pedroclaro
06-25-2007, 12:05 PM
With this system, SCC will be level 10

ps2king
06-25-2007, 12:07 PM
nope cos rarity will still be taken into account. and scc isnt very rare

Ultramorpg
06-25-2007, 12:07 PM

SHALL I MAKE A POLL

It's too damn obvious how the poll results will be like... Read my last post and consider that if we are talking about rare trackers, it's because the majority of people don't have them, and if the majority of them don't have rare trackers, you should know which option they will vote...

Anyway, lets suppose this system is implemented. All you're going to do is killing your chance to get rare trackers, because no one will give ScT for bitsoup+torrentleech :P or maybe it will just be ignored.

The ratings could live together, that's the best solution.

bluelion
06-25-2007, 12:08 PM
With this system, SCC will be level 10

lol i don't think so cuz in terms of rarity it would be .5 out of 2.5, so maybe lvl7

If there willl be 2 rating system then the majority will still use the rarity rating.

stern80
06-25-2007, 12:14 PM
i think it's high time that content and speed be considered in tracker rating. what is a tracker really worth when someone does have it but doesn't use it,even if it is rare.

ps2king
06-25-2007, 12:17 PM

SHALL I MAKE A POLL

It's too damn obvious how the poll results will be like... Read my last post and consider that if we are talking about rare trackers, it's because the majority of people don't have them, and if the majority of them don't have rare trackers, you should know which option they will vote...

Anyway, lets suppose this system is implemented. All you're going to do is killing your chance to get rare trackers, because no one will give ScT for bitsoup+torrentleech :P or maybe it will just be ignored.

The ratings could live together, that's the best solution.

by the sounds of it your comlaining cos it will kill YOUR chance of gettin a rare tracker. i have everything i need apart from a revolt.

and it would be pointless having 2 rating systems.

timmah3
06-25-2007, 12:23 PM
i see lot of people is trying to make easy way to get trackers like ftn:)

keep trying mates

ps2king
06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
yeah ive been thinking aba this and ive now gone off the idea.

the old system has been in place for a long time now, it does its job i say KEEP IT

timmah3
06-25-2007, 12:27 PM
true m8 true

taba
06-25-2007, 12:27 PM
why u ppl dont comfort ur mind and make it easy

:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:
it is all about rarity accept that or refuse it but this is the truth:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

u will never trade the rabbit or uk-t whicj r really sucks 4 tl which is very
good

ps2king
06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
yeah i think this should be closed now. i dont think its gona happen. and i dont think it should.

the system has come a long way ffrom back in the day when there was only 5 levels

Hitman86
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
good idea

fstrulz
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
i think it's high time that content and speed be considered in tracker rating. what is a tracker really worth when someone does have it but doesn't use it,even if it is rare.

An example is... A number of my friends and I, who have FTWR, E***O, and UK-T, rarely use them trackers... The trackers we actually use most of the time are TL, OiNK, and BitMeTV.

I think the whole point of implementing a new tracker rating system is to treat all trackers fairly and equally (in terms of speed, content, pretimes, and rarity).

ps2king
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
yeah but in the wiaw thread each tracker has ratings in brackets which is on content speed etc. so there not getting ignored it shows people that TL is a good site just that its not very rare

fstrulz
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
yeah i think this should be closed now. i dont think its gona happen. and i dont think it should.

It's not just about what you think, mate... Give others the opportunity to speak.

ps2king
06-25-2007, 12:41 PM
i am im not stopping any1 from speaking am i. im just making my oppinion which i am entitled to do

direstraits
06-25-2007, 12:50 PM
there something wrong, TL could not ever be level 7 from 10, i would rate the trackers below level 6 with a total of 6 points or 5 instead of 10 ...

stanford
06-25-2007, 12:52 PM
This is a very good way to measure the quality of a tracker.

KFlint
06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
i'll repeat myself but i think that the actual system is just fine...

but if a tracker is impossible to get into because nobody are willing to trade it on FST for weeks, then just remove it from the ratings since it's useless to have it there ... until we see some offer

seriously, why are we here? the majority are trackers collectors and in every type of collection there is some rare stuff and every single type of collection have a value based on the rarity

just start another thread called, the hall of fame of trackers or whatever but leave the WIAW as it is

SgtMajor
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM

It's not just about what you think, mate... Give others the opportunity to speak.

And it isn't all what you say either, he has the same rights as you to voice his opinion.

game1283
06-25-2007, 01:52 PM
ok, let's not change the current rating system, but could we just post a table of trackers according to content and speed or etc. so that those who does NOT have the Top level trackers knows why in the end, it's all about contents and quality not rarity.

burtz
06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
ok, let's not change the current rating system, but could we just post a table of trackers according to content and speed or etc. so that those who does NOT have the Top level trackers knows why in the end, it's all about contents and quality not rarity.

totally agree. the WIAW thread format itself could really be misleading for beginners. it would be much better if it is formatted in a better way.

just a scrap from tracker-invites i think. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|Tracker|Type |Content| Spd | Rarity| PT | RELEASES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| | | | | | |
|ScT |0day | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | SCENE
|TL |0day | 4.5 | 4.5 | 2 | 4 | SCENE
|BitMe |ELearning| 5 | 3 | 3 | NA | SCENE/NONSCENCE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~i think this way, the user viewing the page wouldn't have to dig the all those individual reviews. it is then up to the user if he wants to trade his 1000TB buffered TL for an FTN or FWTR invite or just be contented with what he has. it would help the user relax with his torrent-life rather than buffering an account for trade like a madman thinking that he could get better FILES at much rare trackers but in the end, would be disappointed because he couldn't get an invite in a tracker where in reality, just has the same content. bottomline, this would also make them wiser not too offer way too much for a, SOMETIMES, a rare BUT content-wise WORTHLESS tracker (multiple lower-level tracker accounts owner doesn't get harassed and top-level tracker inviter would have less chances of abusing:)).

just my opinion. :D

if scene groups themselves were kind enough to give us what they worked for, why can't we do the same thing with our invites?

peace out! cheers! :D

Thatsgreat
06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Well this ranking wouldn't be about how rare the invite is or how hard it is to get the tracker. This would be about how good the tracker is. So TL may be level 8 and UK-T may be level 4. So what's the point of having this ranking-system? If you want to know how good the tracker is there is a scale from 1-10 in the What Invites Are Worth thread next to the tracker.

optimus_prime
06-25-2007, 03:33 PM
as said, invites ranking should stay as it is. it is invites ranking.
if you need quality top list i can give it to you: ftn, sct, tl, bitme, bitmetv and oink are good others are mediocre. you're free to spread that on table with 10 levels and make it look serious :)
so, once again, it's about supply/demand and not about quality. i hate picasso and i think his paintings sucks, that doesn't mean i expect sotheby's to rewrite catalogue and say "pablo picasso - crap - 1.99$".

Buggyme
06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
if you need quality top list i can give it to you: ftn, sct, tl, bitme, bitmetv and oink are good others are mediocre. you're free to spread that on table with 10 levels and make it look serious :)
so, once again, it's about supply/demand and not about quality. i hate picasso and i think his paintings sucks, that doesn't mean i expect sotheby's to rewrite catalogue and say "pablo picasso - crap - 1.99$".

Well said. It should stay sorted by trading value based on supply and demand. People who only care about the tracker's other attributes can simply just look at the number inside []. If it has a low value, then using their own judgment they can simply say, "Ok, I don't give a shit about rarity, I only care about its content and speed, so I will only use the number inside the [] as my guide for my trading activities, as opposed to the rarity."

Most people here probably care more about rarity because if they get a 'rarer' site, because they can then have more options on what site they can get. Notice that, if people don't care about rarity, then in theory, the rarity level should equal the tracker (content/speed/pretime) rating, but clearly most people do care about rarity.

UK-T can probably get you a whole lot of excellent sites even though its content and speed are not of good quality. Why? Because if you have it, you can trade it for pretty much anything you want. But some people don't want this 'power', they just want a good tracker that they can leech from. And that's cool, just look at the number inside the [], and trade based on that number. Simple.

KFlint
06-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Well said. It should stay sorted by trading value based on supply and demand. People who only care about the tracker's other attributes can simply just look at the number inside []. If it has a low value, then using their own judgment they can simply say, "Ok, I don't give a shit about rarity, I only care about its content and speed, so I will only use the number inside the [] as my guide for my trading activities, as opposed to the rarity."

Most people here probably care more about rarity because if they get a 'rarer' site, because they can then have more options on what site they can get. Notice that, if people don't care about rarity, then in theory, the rarity level should equal the tracker (content/speed/pretime) rating, but clearly most people do care about rarity.

UK-T can probably get you a whole lot of excellent sites even though its content and speed are not of good quality. Why? Because if you have it, you can trade it for pretty much anything you want. But some people don't want this 'power', they just want a good tracker that they can leech from. And that's cool, just look at the number inside the [], and trade based on that number. Simple.

exactly!

But it would be really cool to have another list like burtz did because it is easy to understand for noobs and very usefull for anyone into trading

If someone want to make a draft at such a list for all the trackers listed in the WIAW and present it to us, it would be a good start. It has to be made by someone who know most of these trackers, personnaly, i lack too much info to do such a list...

burtz
06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
@KFlint

yeah, i really am waiting for a list like this because whatever we may personally think, trading decisions would still come from traders. all FST could surely provide is more info on the trackers to guide traders. :)

OFFTOPIC: i see that you're a guitar player too, would you mind sharing some private lessons with me? :D