PDA

View Full Version : bit torrent advice

BillStruth
06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
hey guys

introducing my 16 year old nephew to the delights of bit torrent, and have set up his pc ready to roll.

thing is i only use private trackers, but dont want to invite him until he is fully accustomed. once he knows what he is doing i will invite him on to the sites i use myself.

which sites would you recommend for downloading, for someone just starting out?

Qua
06-26-2007, 02:32 PM
How about demonoid? If it get's up soon? they don't have strict policy,so it coud. Stuff like spytorrent and others are usually not that userfriendly,lot's of misslabeled stuff h&r and possible dangerous.

Brokecore
06-26-2007, 02:33 PM
The Pirate Bay is a huge public tracker.

And many others like Torrentspy, Mininova and Isohunt are good too.

BillStruth
06-26-2007, 02:36 PM
How about demonoid? If it get's up soon? they don't have strict policy,so it coud. Stuff like spytorrent and others are usually not that userfriendly,lot's of misslabeled stuff h&r and possible dangerous.

i had considered demonoid, but it was down, and he is itching to get started.

SpiderPig
06-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Invite him to TL, easy to keep a ratio with a normal home Cable/DSL connection, and very fast downloads.

Pluto
06-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Well any public tracker would be good. I can throw you a td invite for him. Their pretty helpful with the n00bs, and its really easy to keep a decent ratio and break your teeth on. And if he turns into a leecher of doom they wont punish you for it.

BillStruth
06-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I can throw you a td invite for him

thanks very much pluto, that would be greatly appreciated

pandapop
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Oink... make him learn the hard way.

Tough love.

:lol:

Pluto
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
BillStruth (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/billstruth-150821) pm me his email. I wouldnt invite him to tl until hes proven worthy or youll get a big fat red mark for his faults.

redMonster
06-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Register on some open sites like filemp3, demonoid, leecherslair, bitsoup. And there are public trackers too.

jam0980tr
06-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Oink... make him learn the hard way.

Tough love.

:lol:

:w00t:

Qua
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
O*nk will work only if he's into S/M:D

nsk
06-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I would highly recommend demonoid as a good place to start, speeds might not be the best, and it is public, but when you register its got that private feel to it, very big community that will help, should be able to find pretty much anything there and easy to keep a good ratio. He can also get invites there when he's ready, I got TL, Oink and BitmeTV from there.

Its going to be down for a fee days though, so as the others suggested, just sign up to open sites, like TD, filelist (if their open at this time) etc. A couple I would maybe recommend is funfile and digitalhive, due to them having freeleech on some selected torrents so its helpful for building ratio.

Also have a look through the 'open signup' sticky thread and see what's on offer.

and for his leeching, piratebay :D

fstrulz
06-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Introduce him right away to SCT for the best content, speed, and community. :D

BillStruth
06-26-2007, 04:11 PM
BillStruth (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/billstruth-150821) pm me his email. I wouldn't invite him to tl until hes proven worthy or you'll get a big fat red mark for his faults.

thanks for the offer mate, but i will get him started on a public tracker, maybe pirate bay or something similar to start with, then get him on demonoid, when it is back up and running. really don't want to get him on the decent sites until he has proved he can seed regularly.......

thanks anyway

Tokeman
06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
PM me email addy and I will get him into TL and DH. I'm not worried about his habbits, he seems to be getting good advice, thats more then some people get. The choice is his now.

I realise he is new, and I'll risk it, never had an issue on TL or DH, only had issues on oink and bitmetv with giving away invites.

SpiderPig
06-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Public trackers are horrible, don't do that to the poor kid. Introduce him to TL and Bitsoup. Bitsoup has a great collection of old torrents, have average speeds, and have very helpful folks on forums for beginners.

Something Else
06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Don't give him public trackers. Just link him to the open signup thread and see what happens :)