PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my work.

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Considering my audience, maybe not the place to ask.

Any of you guys know about post-trade/pre-settlement in international trade terms (i think)?

I need to understand wtf it is all about, quite quickly, in layman's terms.

Thanks kindly.

Biggles
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
In what respect? Currency hedges?

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 02:40 PM
yes and fixed income! mainly from investment managers/brokers/dealers side. Need to know what post-trade/pre-settlement means in this context, how it works, why they do it. Just an overview or some good sites to give me a starting place.

Alien5
06-26-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.upload.ps/uploads130607/dae44abaff.jpg

Biggles
06-26-2007, 03:00 PM
yes and fixed income! mainly from investment managers/brokers/dealers side. Need to know what post-trade/pre-settlement means in this context, how it works, why they do it. Just an overview or some good sites to give me a starting place.

There are many sites dealing with this and would probably provide a faster over view than my typing out a long screed.

Key search words would be

Derivatives
Financial Instruments
Currency Hedges
Exchange Rate derivatives
Interest Rate derivatives

Put very simply one can agree a fixed rate deal on any commodity (including currency) but very often such a deal will be subject to currency fluctuations. This can occur after the deal conclusion but before the settlement date (when you have to pay). The settlement date may not be long after the deal but such are the volumes involved and the fluctuations in the market that even a small shift between two currencies can represent a significant gain or loss. Fixed rate takes this on the chin but a hedge seeks to mitigate these fluctautions. Hedging is primarily a Risk management tool although some see it as a way of playing the market. Business Treasury functions sometimes undertake currency hedges as a means of gainfully employing surplus cash - Currency hedges are typically short term deals so do not tie up business funds for long.

PS I hope you realise this has shredded what little street cred I had left.

Chip Monk
06-26-2007, 03:05 PM
accountancy talk, devil's work

Mr. Mulder
06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
kill biggles and eat his brains, by doing so you'd obviously inherit his knowledge.

Biggles
06-26-2007, 03:10 PM
kill biggles and eat his brains, by doing so you'd obviously inherit his knowledge.

:fear:

I'm wearing a tin foil helmet! It will taste pants and make your fillings tingle.

Cheese
06-26-2007, 03:12 PM

This is true. I killed Seedler and ate his brains and now I know what the page numbers of the bra and panties sections are in 27 different catalogues.

Chip Monk
06-26-2007, 03:25 PM
And also you can now count.

Barbarossa
06-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I killed BawA and ate his brains and now I know everything that is going to happen after it happens :01:

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 05:12 PM

There are many sites dealing with this and would probably provide a faster over view than my typing out a long screed.

Key search words would be

Derivatives
Financial Instruments
Currency Hedges
Exchange Rate derivatives
Interest Rate derivatives

Put very simply one can agree a fixed rate deal on any commodity (including currency) but very often such a deal will be subject to currency fluctuations. This can occur after the deal conclusion but before the settlement date (when you have to pay). The settlement date may not be long after the deal but such are the volumes involved and the fluctuations in the market that even a small shift between two currencies can represent a significant gain or loss. Fixed rate takes this on the chin but a hedge seeks to mitigate these fluctautions. Hedging is primarily a Risk management tool although some see it as a way of playing the market. Business Treasury functions sometimes undertake currency hedges as a means of gainfully employing surplus cash - Currency hedges are typically short term deals so do not tie up business funds for long.

PS I hope you realise this has shredded what little street cred I had left.

Ok, this is a good starting point for me. I'm doing a project regarding software solution that aids the above. May i PM you sometime when i have more questions? I promise your street cred will remain confidential...

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 05:14 PM
And also you can now count.

I believe this qualifies you to be a poster in the Dingleberry Dick's topic?

1,2,3, shite, 7....am i in yet?

Chip Monk
06-26-2007, 05:33 PM
If a software solution means people don't have to speak to Accountants that can only be a good thing.

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 05:43 PM
If a software solution means people don't have to speak to Accountants that can only be a good thing.

mmm...it's a way of making the post-trade operations and transaction processing faster and easier.

It's more hedge funds i believe, which i think is like a rich mans league of mutual funds?

I'll get some more info tomorrow, will let you know.

Chip Monk
06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Overview

Options Technology is a market leading provider of high performance technology solutions to the hedge fund and alternative investment industry. With offices in London, New York and Hong Kong and over 15 years of experience we uniquely offer truly global solutions and support coverage. This ensures the fund can operate with highest efficiency and minimised operational risk from day one.

Our Options PIPETM service is the total technology solution for hedge fund managers. Characterised by high performance and high availability it allows hedge funds to access and benefit from leading edge technology and support services equal to those found in tier 1 investment banks.

Through our data centres in all the major market locations our clients can also benefit from a high performance electronic trading environment to run trading engines close to the market for optimal strategy execution. Options Technology has invested in direct exchange links, high performance market data platforms and multiple direct broker links to provide the lowest latency to execution.

Options Technology currently provides complete solutions for over 50 hedge fund and investment managers with assets under management from $50million to $10billion and with automated trading volumes in excess of 150,000 per day.

Our unique team of highly qualified technical staff are chosen for their experience providing innovative solutions within hedge funds and investment banks. This allows Options Technology to provide our market leading solutions to our clients and ensure the highest quality of our 24x7 support services.

http://www.options-it.com/overview.aspx

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
thats more like it!!!! And, this co will be used in my project, due to Asian offices.

Thanks matey!!!!!

Mr JP Fugley
06-26-2007, 06:13 PM
In your face, Les.

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 06:16 PM
dude, have you got your glasses on? Your posts are all over the place!!

Chip Monk
06-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Which posts

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
fugleys, not yours. Yours are really helpful. As are all your posts. Keep it coming, top guy!

Biggles
06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Overview

Options Technology is a market leading provider of high performance technology solutions to the hedge fund and alternative investment industry. With offices in London, New York and Hong Kong and over 15 years of experience we uniquely offer truly global solutions and support coverage. This ensures the fund can operate with highest efficiency and minimised operational risk from day one.

Our Options PIPETM service is the total technology solution for hedge fund managers. Characterised by high performance and high availability it allows hedge funds to access and benefit from leading edge technology and support services equal to those found in tier 1 investment banks.

Through our data centres in all the major market locations our clients can also benefit from a high performance electronic trading environment to run trading engines close to the market for optimal strategy execution. Options Technology has invested in direct exchange links, high performance market data platforms and multiple direct broker links to provide the lowest latency to execution.

Options Technology currently provides complete solutions for over 50 hedge fund and investment managers with assets under management from $50million to $10billion and with automated trading volumes in excess of 150,000 per day.

Our unique team of highly qualified technical staff are chosen for their experience providing innovative solutions within hedge funds and investment banks. This allows Options Technology to provide our market leading solutions to our clients and ensure the highest quality of our 24x7 support services.

http://www.options-it.com/overview.aspx

:angry: I had to learn how to do that using manual calculations for my final accountancy exams and it was a royal pain in the arse. The gits! I bet no company calculates hedges by hand any more.

thewizeard
06-26-2007, 06:20 PM
sorry wrong thread

Chip Monk
06-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Les is so miffed he's lost the power to construct a sentence.

Chip Monk
06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
:lol:Oh FFS (http://www.hedgefundsworld.com/):lol:

jimbo12345
06-26-2007, 06:24 PM
:angry: I had to learn how to do that using manual calculations for my final accountancy exams and it was a royal pain in the arse. The gits! I bet no company calculates hedges by hand any more.

No, but you have a brain. Most of the buttmonkies these days are just data enterers. Be proud, and safe in the knowledge that your sdvice to day will aid putting food on my table.

I will be PM ing you later.

Biggles
06-26-2007, 06:27 PM

:D

Plus SGG is hassling my butt off the computer - I really ought not be so mean and splash out on another one.

Fromagepas
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Charge cuntbreath for the advice and buy her a wee laptop.

jimbo12345
06-27-2007, 01:20 AM

:D

Plus SGG is hassling my butt off the computer - I really ought not be so mean and splash out on another one.

SGG?? Some Girl Guide?

Chip Monk
06-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Wahey!