PDA

View Full Version : Where can I start, what can I offer?

ciram
06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I'll cut to the chase. I guess that, like many of the new members, I too am here for torrent invites. That's the reason I came here.

Don't get me wrong! I've read the FAQ, the welcome and I want to everything I can to become a (valued?) part of this community but I'm not going to lie. I want to get away from those public trackers, that's my motivation. I don't care very much about anything else here. I don't know anyone personally, talking about file sharing feels a little like... uhm... talking about salt... and any information I need I can get from google a lot faster than anyone here could answer a post.

Now here's my problem. On the one hand, I really don't want to end up "leeching" this place under the cover of fake charm like many other users are probably doing and on the other hand, the system is set up in a way that will probably force me to do just that.

So in order to get this whole "mission" to the private trackers running I would like someone to point me somewhere where I can do some good. The way I see it, there are three ways to get my post count up;

1) Nonsense (spam): Say "hello" here, say "me too" there...
Not something I want to do.

2) Asking stuff: How do I do this or that.
Only need to do that once. Now.

3) Answering people's questions:
Exactly what I'd like to do in order to "return the favor".

So I very kindly bid one of the older members or admins to help me out a little. Some pointers to (sub)forums where people tend to have a lot of questions, a tutorial that needs writing... anything in my power, I will do.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for tolerating my directness. I don't believe in bullshit.

ciram

tesco
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
You can write a tutorial on anything you want, anything you're good at (on topic).

The Software, Hardware, Games, Newsgroups, and BitTorrent forums all always have people asking questions. Read the thread titles and that usually gives a clue as to what the thread is about.
Anywhere you can give some input it's fine to do so. :)

I'm not that into the BT scene myself, but usually how one gets into the private trackers is to get a free invite from a friend or a forum member (ask in the invites forum when you get access, sometimes there are already giveaway threads active).
Then use that private tracker for a while and upload to get a good ratio. Eventually you can request an invite to another tracker by showing a screenshot of youur ratio on the first tracker you got, and so on to work up the ranks. :)
You can gain trading rep here on this forum by giving away invites to other users, and trading accounts, after which they can (voluntarily) give you rep.
As you get more known around the forum and earn 'trading rep' you'll probably have more chance of getting new trackers for free, and more chance of people wanting to trade with you.

ciram
06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Cheers mate. Much appreciated. Now I know where to go from here. You'll see me around the forums.

ciram

thewizeard
06-28-2007, 07:44 AM
1) Nonsense (spam): Say "hello" here, say "me too" there...

A good way to meet and get to know the members, is in the Lounge. It's here http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lounge-10/ (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lounge-10/) come and introduce yourself... and don't underestimate the value of spamming there. :)

kinder
06-28-2007, 11:21 AM
You write English very fluently and that impresses me. There are a lot of users here who cannot even get their meaning out because of the lack of English skills. And those who do know English better, quite many of them uses a lot of (lame) acronyms and stuff, which just complicates the process of understanding.

Writing clearly and wisely gives you 10 points right now. At least from me. And last but not least, it makes you look more trustworthy.

Rossco already gave good tips on how to get into different kinds of trackers. Giveaways are always great.

What kind of trackers do you have at the moment? Where do you download your stuff from? Just asking because maybe I could help you with some invites or such if I happened to have something you already don't have and would probably find useful.

ciram
06-28-2007, 06:58 PM
You write English very fluently and that impresses me. There are a lot of users here who cannot even get their meaning out because of the lack of English skills. And those who do know English better, quite many of them uses a lot of (lame) acronyms and stuff, which just complicates the process of understanding.

Writing clearly and wisely gives you 10 points right now. At least from me. And last but not least, it makes you look more trustworthy.

Rossco already gave good tips on how to get into different kinds of trackers. Giveaways are always great.

What kind of trackers do you have at the moment? Where do you download your stuff from? Just asking because maybe I could help you with some invites or such if I happened to have something you already don't have and would probably find useful.

At the moment I'm on all the popular trackers. TPB, demonoid, mininova... you know - Pop-trackers. Since I don't live in the US I tend to use BitTorrent to download episodes/seasons of tv-shows [in english]. Advertisements annoy me and so do insane dvd prices and nazi-copy protection schemes. This is probably what I waste most of my bandwidth for.

Additionally I use the BitTorrent networks to get my fix of mac apps, music and the occasional movie - I get annoyed when things take 3+ months to make it overseas...
More specifically I'm talking of things like developer previews, absurd electronic music, classical music and dvdrips.

The reasons I would like to migrate my torrenting to private trackers are speed, a more involved community and security.

Cheers guys. Looks like this was the right place to start.

thewizeard
06-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Well not everyone is English here, so they have to do there best to make themselves be understandable ....and so we do our best to understand them. (Without a point system) Basically though, this is a bittorrent topic and belongs on that forum too.

Skiz
06-29-2007, 09:24 AM
rossco summed it up for the most part, but I'll add one thing - Being helpful and patient throughout your stay here is vital. Most veteran invite traders here will review a bit of your past posting methods to see what type of a person they'll be inviting.

That being said, go make yourself useful. :P

PM me once you've surpassed your first 30 days, and I'll check your posting trends. If you seem to be a helpful, mature individual, I'll set you up with invites to all the major places. ;)

Cheese
06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
And those who do know English better, quite many of them uses a lot of (lame) acronyms and stuff, which just complicates the process of understanding.

OMG WTF?!? I cant belive u just said tat?!!? lolz

@OP: I commend your desire to add something to the forums, good luck with that.

threelions00
06-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Welcome ciram...

favourite part of this thread so far...kinder saying "quite many of them uses a lot (lame) acronyms and stuff..."

not very good english in there at all. and before you pick on my lack of capital letters, i am too lazy to press the shift key :D or caps lock twice. so there.

but as i said, welcome ciram

Hairbautt
06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
...I want to [do] everything I can to become a (valued?) part of this community...
If you stumble upon any news, you can submit it here at FST in the news section (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/announcement.php?f=95). :)

peat moss
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
After reading this thread I say cut the usual B.S. and make ciram a mod now . Its nice to see honesty tho and think he would fit nicely in the Drawing Room or Lounge to get his post count up .

Welcome ciram , and stay away from the Bittoerrent section as their not worthy , you'd be wasting your talent . JK :D

Hairbautt
06-30-2007, 04:19 PM
...and stay away from the Bittorrent section as they're not worthy. You'd be wasting your time, talent and life.
/fixed (Not just the spelling)

:schnauz:

peat moss
06-30-2007, 04:26 PM
...and stay away from the Bittoerrent section as their not worthy , you'd be wasting your talent .
/fixed

:schnauz:

Well if your going to quote me at lest fix my spelling mistakes ! :happy:

myminpins
06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
So I have a question. I'm new here as well but trying hard to get into the newsgroup thing :)

I assume "bit torrent" invites are kind of like Demonoid invites? If so, you earn these invites how?

I'd love to help people much as I can and I, too, love to see English written and spoken properly but it's a dying thing, unfortunately :(

I've been a member at many sites and, many times, they ignore noobies or scoff at them, make fun of them, etc., which really annoys me. I'm very fluent on computers, I work from home, can take a computer apart and put it back together, can clean a hard drive, download torrents, upload torrents, figure out about any program out there. I'm an old user of Win XP Pro and am now using Vista Ultimate.

I'd love to help people out and will give it a good try here and see how it goes. Maybe I've finally found a place where people will appreciate help instead of fitting into the "in" crowd? LOL... I'm not very good at that :(

Hopefully I can soon be as good at newsgroups as I am at torrenting. :)

So anything I can do to help, please let me know :)

peat moss
06-30-2007, 05:05 PM
@myminpins , you won't have that problem here while I personaly don't use the news groups a lot here do , try reading the facts in News Group section or pm a mod in there for help .

While their certainly busy they will make time for you .... thats why they were picked for the position . :)

The Internet is certainly strange and wonderful. myminpins , and I know each other from another forum and just discovered that , too funny and what a great addition to our forum . I pity the hardware fellows tho . :ph34r:

myminpins
06-30-2007, 07:05 PM
While their certainly busy they will make time for you .... thats why they were picked for the position . :)

The Internet is certainly strange and wonderful. myminpins , and I know each other from another forum and just discovered that , too funny and what a great addition to our forum . I pity the hardware fellows tho . :ph34r:

Well, so far, the mods are really great and helpful. :thumbsup:

You pity the hardware folks?? ROFL!!! Why!!?! LOLOL :lol::lol:

clocker
07-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Basically they are just a bunch of useless bastards, many of whom don't even own PCs.

They like to post about problems they anticipate having when they finally do have a computer.

myminpins
07-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Basically they are just a bunch of useless bastards, many of whom don't even own PCs.

They like to post about problems they anticipate having when they finally do have a computer.

Are you serious????? :O:O:lol::lol::frusty::shutup:

clocker
07-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I am always serious.

Virtualbody1234
07-02-2007, 02:20 AM
I am always serious.

That's true.

thewizeard
07-02-2007, 06:47 AM

:noes:I am considering adding an extra RAM module, now here is the problem I anticipate. Is it possible to mix this module with one of a higher frequency?

Is it also possible to get my processor under-clocking as I anticipate another related problem if I keep the processor clocking at 3.0 Ghz? :)

myminpins
07-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I'll set you up with invites to all the major places. ;)

And what, in your opinion, are the "major places"? Are they all equally good? Or some worse than others? Some more secure than others?

The reason I ask is that I belong to many such places and eventually you start to wonder, wow, where'd I get so many? Why do I need so many? Maybe I should just pick the top three or something and stick with them. After all, it's not cheap to support a whole bunch of them!! LOL :noes: which I tend to do with places I like :yup:

Maybe I should start a new thread... how many places people go..... who they'd consider their top ones... why they belong to so many... etc... hm.... :unsure::shutup:

Beenieman
07-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I started with none, and now I have too many and I find myself deleting bookmarks that only a few weeks ago I did'nt have. :frusty:

Anyway welcome ciram (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/ciram-170795) I like how you talk and the no bullshit lol.

brotherdoobie
07-05-2007, 06:57 PM
*Narc

-bd

zapjb
07-07-2007, 07:56 AM
*Narc

-bd

:O

brotherdoobie
07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Not me...

bd :whistling

brotherdoobie
07-09-2007, 09:21 AM
...but someone on this forum (someone major.)

-bd :O

zapjb
07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Narc out the narc!

peat moss
07-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Wasn't me . :noes:

Imagine_If
07-12-2007, 05:37 AM
[quote=Skizo;2094796] I'll set you up with invites to all the major places. ;)
:blink:

That would be a great risk Skizo. Without any prior knowledge of who whom or what!

Of course if they are not your invites you are giving away..then you take little risk, of course.

peat moss
07-15-2007, 12:18 AM
[quote=myminpins;2101650]

That would be a great risk Skizo. Without any prior knowledge of who whom or what!

Of course if they are not your invites you are giving away..then you take little risk, of course.

I'll vouch for myminpins , and would stake what little respect I have here to lose . :)

brotherdoobie
07-15-2007, 10:59 PM
[quote=myminpins;2101650]

I agree with Nigel. It's not that myminpins is not trusted. She simply hasn't
been here long enough - for someone to take such a risk.

I can't believe how loose people are with their invites. No wonder the private trackers send spies here.

The whole trading section of this board is a feckin shame.

-bd :dry:

Fromagepas
07-16-2007, 10:49 AM
The reasons I would like to migrate my torrenting to private trackers are speed, a more involved community and security.

So you feel that being part of a community which actively seeks to diminish the security of private torrent sites is going to result in better security. That's an interesting take on it.

Oh and if people don't have the social skills to be involved in the community here what makes you think they'll be any different on a private BT tracker. They'll all be like "Fuck this for a community, I'm just her for the torrents. No bullshit." A bit like you really.

I trust you appreciate my no bullshit approach to posting. No welcome from me btw. People like you turn my stomach.