PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Policeman in heroic action?

bigboab
06-27-2007, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6AYVn2yw4&mode=related&search=

Thirteen year old kids skateboarding on the pavement(sidewalk) on National Skateboarding Day. One of the skateboarders almost collided with a pedestrian. The attending policeman completely 'loses it'. Every rule regarding minors goes out the window. They are handcuffed, threatened with being 'sprayed'. Left face down on the pavement with their hands cuffed behind their backs.
The policeman concerned looks and acts like a Nazi. I hope he is fired or has the decency to resign when this gets more publicity.

threelions00
06-27-2007, 05:38 PM
that is harsh. some people just need to be like mini meglomaniacs...imagine him trying that with someone bigger, he would be scared as. police go mental over something like that but when it comes to some of the more serious stuff, they are nowhere to be seen. i am so glad that my taxes pay for such incompetence...

vidcc
06-27-2007, 07:38 PM
EH6AYVn2yw4

It would be interesting see for ourselves what occurred in the lead up but watching the bit here it seems that the kids need to learn to how not to interfere with a police officer, EVEN if they think their friend is being hard done by.

If the city ordinance forbids skateboarding on the sidewalk the fact that it's "national skateboard day" doesn't overrule that ordinance.
I grew up at the tail end of an era where the local policeman would give misbehaving youths a "clip round the ear" then send them on their way
Today kids think they can get away with anything, these kids found out this is not the case.
Some may think the officer was a bit heavy handed, I didn't see that, what I saw was a bunch of kids trying to mob the officer, running off when the officer ordered them to halt and using foul language in public.
Better they learn a lesson now than in a few years.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 08:02 PM

Thirteen year old kids skateboarding on the pavement(sidewalk) on National Skateboarding Day. One of the skateboarders almost collided with a pedestrian. The attending policeman completely 'loses it'. Every rule regarding minors goes out the window. They are handcuffed, threatened with being 'sprayed'. Left face down on the pavement with their hands cuffed behind their backs.
The policeman concerned looks and acts like a Nazi. I hope he is fired or has the decency to resign when this gets more publicity.

I think the officer was doing his job.:blink:

I like how the kids were saying stuff like all we were doing was riding a skateboard, riding a piece of wood, there are people robbing and stealing and you are harrassing me.

Last time I checked, if you fuck up and a cop tells you to stop, you are supposed to stop.:dry:

It seems to me that if the kids would have stopped when told to stop there wouldn't have been this outrage.

I would understand if the cop beat the shit outta them but he did no such thing.

bigboab
06-27-2007, 10:23 PM

I like how the kids were saying stuff like all we were doing was riding a skateboard, riding a piece of wood, there are people robbing and stealing and you are harrassing me.

Last time I checked, if you fuck up and a cop tells you to stop, you are supposed to stop.:dry:

It seems to me that if the kids would have stopped when told to stop there wouldn't have been this outrage.

I would understand if the cop beat the shit outta them but he did no such thing.

Handcuffing thirteen year olds for skateboarding may be OK under your laws. It is not OK under the UK Laws.
The Police are not a law unto themselves. They also have to obey the law. Especially when dealing with minors.

You should not apprehend anyone unless;

They do not cease when told to do so.
They are likely to abscond.
They give a false name and address.
They are a danger to themselves or the public.
The crime they have committed is of a serious nature.

Nowadays people are 'arrested' for the slightest reason. I don't think that any of those kids will have any respect for the law left. I know I wouldn't if I was in their position.

100%
06-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Apart from the fact that the officer looks like Bruce Willis.
"move somewhere else" would have been easier.

I wonder if there is not one part of American life that is not documented.
Deal with the "culture" you are creating.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 10:40 PM

Handcuffing thirteen year olds for skateboarding may be OK under your laws. It is not OK under the UK Laws.
The Police are not a law unto themselves. They also have to obey the law. Especially when dealing with minors.

You should not apprehend anyone unless;

They do not cease when told to do so.
They are likely to abscond.
They give a false name and address.
They are a danger to themselves or the public.
The crime they have committed is of a serious nature.

Nowadays people are 'arrested' for the slightest reason. I don't think that any of those kids will have any respect for the law left. I know I wouldn't if I was in their position.

They were playing to the camera and those around them. It looks like it worked.

If they almost hit someone they were a danger. Skateboarding on the sidewalk is a danger to pedestrians.

Do you really think that they were just simply skateboarding and the cop grabbed one up and hancuffed him?

No resistance, no nothing, huh? Puhleaze.:ermm:

You buy the point of view of the illegal skateboarders. What if they were spray painting on the sidewalk? Same deal?

Again I just couldn't see the cop going through all that if the skateboarders would have chilled out.

Here's a nice scenario. The skateboarders are told to halt by the officer. The skateboarders halt. The officers announces that they are under arrest and they get booked.

I bet people skateboard in that area all the time illegally and everyone but the skateboarders like it. I know in certain areas around here, businesses and pedestrians hate skateboarders. Hell in DC, we dislike some bike couriers if they all over the fucking place.

vidcc
06-27-2007, 10:41 PM

Of course all you have as proof that he was arrested for skateboarding is the word of these cocky kids. I rather suspect he was stopped and and maybe ticketed and decided to be a smarty pants and not co-operate. I also suspect that the kids weren't just skateboarding but were harassing pedestrians as well. It could also be the millionth warning for the same kids.
As I said it would be interesting to see what happened before the camera got there.

Seriously Bob, it's unlikely that this officer arrested the first kid just for skateboarding.

Didn't look like they had any respect to start with

sArA
06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Seems a little harsh, I mean for that sort of reaction by the police I would expect the person to be both an adult and violent, not just some gobby kid with too much teenage bravado and attitude.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Of course all you have as proof that he was arrested for skateboarding is the word of these cocky kids. I rather suspect he was stopped and and maybe ticketed and decided to be a smarty pants and not co-operate. I also suspect that the kids weren't just skateboarding but were harassing pedestrians as well. It could also be the millionth warning for the same kids.
As I said it would be interesting to see what happened before the camera got there.

Seriously Bob, it's unlikely that this officer arrested the first kid just for skateboarding.

Didn't look like they had any respect to start with

Good point.

Did you notice that only one kid was being handcuffed at first? That particular kid probably did something that others didn't do (besides skateboarding).

Maybe he's the one that almost hit the pedestrian. Mouthing off and running away is the worst thing you can do with an officer.

j2k4
06-27-2007, 11:05 PM
EH6AYVn2yw4

It would be interesting see for ourselves what occurred in the lead up but watching the bit here it seems that the kids need to learn to how not to interfere with a police officer, EVEN if they think their friend is being hard done by.

If the city ordinance forbids skateboarding on the sidewalk the fact that it's "national skateboard day" doesn't overrule that ordinance.
I grew up at the tail end of an era where the local policeman would give misbehaving youths a "clip round the ear" then send them on their way
Today kids think they can get away with anything, these kids found out this is not the case.
Some may think the officer was a bit heavy handed, I didn't see that, what I saw was a bunch of kids trying to mob the officer, running off when the officer ordered them to halt and using foul language in public.
Better they learn a lesson now than in a few years.

The two of you are doing sterling work here.

Carry on.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 11:08 PM

Carry on.

Oh man....we agree and whatnot.:ermm:

vidcc
06-27-2007, 11:12 PM

Carry on.

I kind of hope that's sarcasm, because if it's not I may have to re-access the way I am looking at this :unsure:

Edit: is there a delay in posts showing up today?

j2k4
06-27-2007, 11:14 PM

Carry on.

I kind of hope that's sarcasm, because if it's not I may have to re-access the way I am looking at this :unsure:

It is not sarcasm.

BTW-

You mis-spelled "re-access".

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 11:28 PM

It is not sarcasm.

BTW-

You mis-spelled "re-access".

Shit it's like being around an English teacher or the English.:ermm:

j2k4
06-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Or our closest approximation of both, which would be Boab.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 11:33 PM

Damn, and he doesn't bother with misspellinggss.

Init dat sumfin?

j2k4
06-27-2007, 11:36 PM

Init dat sumfin?

Then why did you say the other.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 11:40 PM

Init dat sumfin?

Oh I didn't say boab. You did.

It's a forum stereotype, jay. Damn, didn't you say you like brat humour the best?

I understand why now.

j2k4
06-27-2007, 11:44 PM

It's a forum stereotype, jay. Damn, didn't you say you like brat humour the best?

I understand why now.

I didn't say you said "Boab".

BTW-

You understand nothing - that is why I am here.

Busyman™
06-27-2007, 11:46 PM

I understand why now.

I didn't say you said "Boab".

BTW-

You understand nothing - that is why I am here.

Great! Glad ta have ya!

:crazy:

Skiz
07-03-2007, 10:28 AM
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. — A police officer who appeared to choke a skateboarder in a video posted online has been cleared of any wrongdoing by an internal review board.

The Hot Springs Police Department Internal Affairs Board found the use of force was within the police department's policy on non-deadly force and recommended "no changes to this policy." The decision was released Monday.

Officer Joey Williams stopped a group of skateboarders June 21 on a downtown city sidewalk. Skateboarding is banned in the area.

The video shows Williams apparently choking one of the skateboarders after forcing him to the ground, then later chasing and wrestling two others while holding them in a headlock.

"This was a minimal force issue," Police Chief Bobby Southard told The Sentinel-Record. "He didn't resort to anything above hand control techniques and handcuffing."

Southard said Williams, who had been put on administrative leave, will return to bike patrol downtown Thursday. Six skateboarders — two adults and four juveniles — have court dates pending.

:source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287835,00.html

bigboab
07-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Would the state police have taken the same action. I guess not because they are real policemen who are not controlled by local politicians.

Would this 'policeman' take the same action if a litter lout refused to pick the litter back up?

vidcc
07-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Would the state police have taken the same action. I guess not because they are real policemen who are not controlled by local politicians.

How many times have you thought to yourself that crime was lower back in the days when you had the local "bobby" walking the beat? Local sheriff and city police are the same. The only real difference is the patrol area is localised so they will know the area and residents better.

Would this 'policeman' take the same action if a litter lout refused to pick the litter back up?

Depends, on the behavior of the litter lout. If he refuses to comply to the point where the only option is arrest and then he resists arrest then I guess he would.

You are looking at these kids as being arrested for skateboarding. I doubt that was the reason they were actually arrested. The skateboarding was the reason the officer stopped them, it's what they did once stopped that got them into real trouble.

Had these kids complied then we would not be having this discussion.

There has to be a minimal behavior level when stopped by the police. If that level breaks down then law and order breaks down.

There is no shortage of incidents where the police do go over the top and deserve prison time themselves IMO.

This is not one of them

Here when an officer shouts stop you must stop. That's the way it works. It's not "stop or I shall say stop again"

bigboab
07-04-2007, 07:08 AM
After seeing these headlines in the news this morning, I take back everything I have said against the American Police.:)

British police to grill local doctor (http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa=t&ct=/2-0&fp=468b6a12deb29017&ei=3UWLRs2AA5-moAOTiICIDg&url=http%3A//www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/07/04/1183351244163.html&cid=1117832796)
The Age, Australia - 8 hours ago
"Most of the others were known to MI5. That is to say their names appeared on a database somewhere..." Earlier, British health authorities confirmed that Dr ...
UK terror expert to quiz doctor: Howard (http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/UK-terror-expert-to-quiz-doctor-Howard/2007/07/03/1183351207886.html) The Age
MI5 could have been watching terror accused (http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=120261) Newstalk ZB
UK police to question doctor in Australia (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4117247a10.html) Stuff.co.nz
all 966 news articles » (http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1117832796)

vidcc
07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Want to discuss a real case?

J8c9eL1ScIg

Be interesting how people view this

j2k4
07-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I'd say justified, absolutely, and I really didn't see much to discuss, except his family probably ought to be sued for idiocy.

How interesting is that.

bigboab
07-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I'd say justified, absolutely, and I really didn't see much to discuss, except his family probably ought to be sued for idiocy.

How interesting is that.

I agree, anyone who draws a gun, knife, or attempts to throw a petrol bomb should be dealt with summarily.

vidcc
07-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I am with the officer. I can imagine some would argue that he should have shot to disarm/disable but IMO he was totally justified.

The reason I posted this was an extreme example of what I have been saying about the original crime and the difference in the way the police handle it due to the behavior that follows.

I needed an extreme example as I feel nuance would not do it

We wouldn't say this man was killed for a traffic violation would we?

j2k4
07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I am with the officer. I can imagine some would argue that he should have shot to disarm/disable but IMO he was totally justified.

The reason I posted this was an extreme example of what I have been saying about the original crime and the difference in the way the police handle it due to the behavior that follows.

I needed an extreme example as I feel nuance would not do it

We wouldn't say this man was killed for a traffic violation would we?

Some would, and they'd have the ACLU on their side, paying their legal bills.

Keep us apprised, won't you.

BTW-

Let's hypothetically make the offender a Mexican drug-smuggler and the cop a border patrol officer.

Interesting, huh? :whistling

vidcc
07-04-2007, 08:44 PM
[

BTW-

Let's hypothetically make the offender a Mexican drug-smuggler and the cop a border patrol officer.

WTF tangent are you on off now?

j2k4
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
[

BTW-

WTF tangent are you on off now?

Why, I am on a tangent which runs parallel to your own, doofus.

BTW-

WTF do you mean, "on off"?

Busyman™
07-06-2007, 07:00 PM

What about spraypainting one the businesses around there?

You see the point but won't back down.:no:

The police are not parents. They enforce the law. In this case they enforced it with non-deadly force.

What was the officer to do, let the kids do fuck all?

Busyman™
07-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Want to discuss a real case?

J8c9eL1ScIg

Be interesting how people view this

The guy was an idiot.

Oh and just to give an example of not giving an officer problems and that officer not giving you problems....on my vacation to Williamsburg......

Driving back from Busch Gardens Europe around 11pm

I see a police car to my right and slow down (I'm in lane 2 of a 2-lane highway with lights)

Joe Roller pulls me over just after a stop light

I have my license ready, window down, engine off, hazards on

Officer: Sir, the posted speed limit is 55 and you past my radar going 73.

Me: (hands my him license) I didn't realize I was going that fast.

Officer: Do you have your registration?

Me: Yes. (searches glove compartment and finds it, hands to officer)

Officer: How old is your little girl?

Me: 6

Officer: You are supposed to have the child in a booster seat in VA.

Me: I didn't know that. I just took her out of booster seat recently because she met the weight and height requirements.

Officer: In the state of VA as of July 1 you are required to have a child 6 and under secured in safety seat or have a doctor's note saying the child is too big for one.

Me: I didn't know that.

Officer: Sit tight, IBRB.

Me: (sitting tight)

Officer: (comes back) How do feel about paying a $171 dollar ticket.

Me: If that's what I have to pay then I will pay it.

Officer: I'm going to let you off with a warning. Slow down. You might wanna get a safety seat in case another officer stops you.

Me: Yes sir. Thank you sir.

-------------------------------------------------

I have known many a folk start mouthing off and carrying on. It can be only be bad for them.

Also I should note that the officer cited the safety seat law applying July 1.

It was July 3 when I was stopped.:dabs:

Either way, the law is the law.

I broke it and doing anything but complying with the officer would have meant me having bad results.

edit: thank goodness I got my brake lamp fixed. I had been around with the light out for 3 months and got it fixed (along with an oil change) 2 days prior to the trip.:mellow: