PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Remember Earl Thompson ?

Riddler
06-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Just getting my feet wet here at the deep end of the pool. ;)

I read two books by this author ( many years ago ) and was very impressed with his ability to thoroughly draw a reader right into his fictional world. It would seem that his extremely vivid and true-to-life approach to sex in " A Garden Of Sand " and " Tattoo " firmly placed him into the genre of erotic fiction, but I think that was an unfair categorizing of his ability. The man was simply an amazing story-teller. I would love to be able to get a copy ( electronic or otherwise ) of the last novel he completed before he died; " Caldo Largo ".
Any ideas ?

j2k4
06-29-2003, 04:14 AM
I read both "A Garden of Sand" and "Tattoo"; erotic, yes, but as you say, he painted pictures with words. ;)

Riddler
06-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Wow ! Didn't expect this to get a reply after all this time. :o Apparently, there aren't a lot of people who've read this author. I was beginning to think there was a possibility that I might be a bit odd for finding his style so fascinating. Tell me j2k4, how long ago did you read them ? It's been about 10 years for me. B)

j2k4
06-30-2003, 09:57 AM
About 5 years-I've often wondered about why he didn't get more play.

I've seen his name mentioned here and there, but always in conjunction with those two books; I'm off to work now, but maybe I'll give 'im a google afterwards-- ;)

Riddler
07-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Well j2k4, I guess the question of why Mr. Thompson seemed to be overlooked by so many people might be answered by the fact that he only published 3 novels during his brief life. ( Caldo Largo was released posthumously )
Another factor may have also been that the " discomfort factor " in reading an autobiographical account of an incestuous relationship ( in his debut effort ) was difficult to overcome for many readers.
I found this interesting little bio from a Google search of my own:

E. Thompson (http://www.pemmicanpress.com/articles/EarlThompson.html)

You might find it a worthwhile read when you have the time.

j2k4
07-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Interesting; I think I'll keep my eye open for his other two books.

Thanks, Riddler. ;)

Riddler
07-02-2003, 11:32 PM
My pleasure, j2k4. I'll do the same. Peace. B)

iamtheoneandonlyone
07-04-2003, 01:36 AM
That book "Tattoo" sounds familiar. I kind of sorta remember him, but usually I only remember authors that I've read.