PDA

View Full Version : 2 And 16 Colors Only Selection?

Crack_man
06-16-2003, 04:39 PM
I reinstalled my computer with a Windows 98 SE cd but now when I canīt choose 256 colors no more,only 2 and 16 color and it doesnīt look good.

When I go and check for my graphic adapter is says that I have one called "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" and I dont have internet access on my old computer so I canīt make it to search for any updates.

How do I solve this,I had 256 color before but not now after the reinstallation,HELP!

Lamsey
06-16-2003, 04:43 PM
You need to install the drivers for the video adapter. You should have a CD with them on it. If not, you'll need to find out what adapter you have and then download the right drivers, take them to your computer, and install them.

You should also make sure that your monitor has the appropriate drivers. If you don't know what drivers to install for the monitor, just try the 'Plug and Play Monitor' option under 'Standard Monitor Types'.

Somebody1234
06-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Do you know what video card you have in the machine?

Crack_man
06-16-2003, 04:47 PM
I donīt know how to do that stuff.

Crack_man
06-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 June 2003 - 18:47
Do you know what video card you have in the machine?
no I dont

Somebody1234
06-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Ok just open the computer case. Look inside at the card that your monitor is plugged into. Can you see if there is any company name or brand?

Another way is can you tell us what model your whole PC is?
Or do you still have the bill from when it was purchased?

Edit: to add that I will be around here to help you as you work out these small details. I will be away for the next 30 to 45 minutes but then I'll be around.

Crack_man
06-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 June 2003 - 18:53
Ok just open the computer case. Look inside at the card that your monitor is plugged into. Can you see if there is any company name or brand?

Another way is can you tell us what model your whole PC is?
Or do you still have the bill from when it was purchased?
Iīm not sure but I think my old computers name is "GenuineIntel" and the monitor name is "SONY CPD-200ES"

Crack_man
06-16-2003, 05:36 PM
I just noticed that I am not the only one with this problem,searching in google I found THIS (http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=106248&perpage=20&pagenumber=1) which a guy had same problem but he solved it,I read all 5 pages but I didnt understand a damn thing.

Somebody1234
06-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Ok, I'm back.

One question... Was your Windows 98 CD bootable?

By the way, nice monitor. :D

"GenuineIntel" doesn't help here.

You could try Balarc Advisor: click here (http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe) to download. Install it and it will tell you about the components of your PC. Look for what it says for 'Display' along the right side of the screen. Tell us what you find.

Or... Try it this way..... Take notice of where the monitor cable is connected. Unplug your PC open its case cover. The connector where the monitor was plugged into is part of a card. That card is inserted into a slot of your motherboard. Remove the small screw that holds the card in and wiggle the card out or its slot.

Once you have done that come back here and describe all what you can see about that card. It must have some writing on it or on its chip.

Crack_man
06-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Im back now too but I think I will just reinstall it with Windows 2000 instead.

Nightwolf
06-16-2003, 08:09 PM
All you should have to do is delete the entry for "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)" in Device Manager. Then restart your computer. Windows should auto-detect the video card and install the correct drivers for it. Of course then you should still go to the company's website and see if there is a newer version.

Somebody1234
06-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Crack_man@16 June 2003 - 15:17
Im back now too but I think I will just reinstall it with Windows 2000 instead.
Ok. Did you answer my question as to if your CD was bootable? NO! :angry:

We help you with your stuff but you don't seem to put any effort to want to try anything or learn anything. Last week I spent a lot of time to try to help you format your drive and all you did was say to me that I need to wait a week for you to get a diskette. :lol:

Go back to your Windows 2000 if you want but can I ask you why you asked us to help you if you don't intend to stick with it long enough to even get it working?

My last post asked you a question about your graphics card. Did you even attempt to answer? NO!

Did you even read my last post?

Livy
06-16-2003, 08:28 PM
yeah, come on man, hes trying to help you here, any if u cant get ur graphics card workin in 98, i doubt u will get drivers workin in 2000

Crack_man
06-16-2003, 10:53 PM
I searched on google and found that it was many who had this problem like me but all of them had Windows 98 so I though that maybe I could solve it if I install only Windows 2000

EDIT: And I donīt know what a bootable CD even is,I have that version which ilw posted and I used it along with a boot disc.

sparsely
06-16-2003, 11:48 PM
um...you probably just need drivers.
if you don't know what type of video card you have, download and run this:
Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe)
It will generate a detailed inventory in HTML about your devices, software, etc. etc.

Somebody1234
06-17-2003, 01:08 AM
I figured out how to solve your problem, Crack_man.

A site that will detect your system and find the driver you need. Here is the link: Driver detection (http://www.ultimate98driverdetector.com)

Lamsey
06-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Yeah, you'd have to be a numpty not to be able to use that site.

Somebody1234
06-17-2003, 02:12 AM
Hey Lamsey, about your chassis fan you were talking about, "chassis fans are cheap", That's exactly the type of fan I was refering to when I said 80mm fan. :)

sparsely
06-17-2003, 02:39 AM
The Page Cannot Be Displayed

Sparsely=Numpty Dumpty

:huh:

Crack_man
06-17-2003, 07:43 PM
Canīt see it either.