PDA

View Full Version : U Will Not Get Better Than Xp

MetroStars
06-16-2003, 08:31 PM
I just wanted 2 say that Microsoft will not do better than Windows XP....

after having many problems with Win me - i thought XP would be the same but how wrong i was.. i have had no torubles with anything... well maybe Win Media player...

but the whole look and feel of XP is great...

i am using XP pro edtion so i can't say about home edtion...

but XP Pro is the Dogs Nuts....

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/metroavatarplayers.jpg

Livy
06-16-2003, 08:33 PM
home and pro are basically the same, i think xp is pretty good to, but ti still sucks a bit, a like my os to be sleek. xp takes far to long to boot etc, im gonna try winme with 98lite.

MetroStars
06-16-2003, 08:36 PM
home and pro are basically the same, i think xp is pretty good to, but ti still sucks a bit, a like my os to be sleek. xp takes far to long to boot etc, im gonna try winme with 98lite.

I can't beleve u r going 2 downgrade 2 win me... that was the worst ever...

but hey it's your computer

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/howardava.jpg

ultimatejester
06-16-2003, 08:37 PM
i use xp pro 2, and i like it but i heard that longhorn is much better.

MetroStars
06-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Can u get longhorn of Kazaa i wouldn't mind trying it

Livy
06-16-2003, 08:40 PM
there is a hash for longhorn in verifieds, i liked winme, im one of the few who never had any probs, it ran alot better than 98se.

Spindulik
06-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Livy@16 June 2003 - 21:33
...but it still sucks a bit....
:lol: Hehe :lol: :lol:

Meaning that it has a tad bit of sucking. Not too much, but enough to be noticed, even by the novice PC XP user.

A slight iota of being sucky, is another preceived description.

Just a schimmer of sukciness.

Xp sucks, only a slight schmidge though.

Lamsey
06-17-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Spindulik+17 June 2003 - 02:00--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 17 June 2003 - 02:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@16 June 2003 - 21:33
...but it still sucks a bit....
:lol: Hehe :lol: :lol:

Meaning that it has a tad bit of sucking. Not too much, but enough to be noticed, even by the novice PC XP user.

A slight iota of being sucky, is another preceived description.

Just a schimmer of sukciness.

Xp sucks, only a slight schmidge though. [/b][/quote]
The day that Microsoft produce a product that does not suck is the day they produce a vacuum cleaner.

McGee
06-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester@16 June 2003 - 14:37
i use xp pro 2, and i like it but i heard that longhorn is much better.
:lol: What dumbass said that? Longhorn sucks major cock compared to any os below ME, with the third party patches of course...

balamm*
06-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by MetroStars@16 June 2003 - 20:38
Can u get longhorn of Kazaa i wouldn&#39;t mind trying it
Why? I thought you said you couldn&#39;t get better.......

Paul_NFFC
06-17-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by balamm*+17 June 2003 - 02:28--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm* @ 17 June 2003 - 02:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MetroStars@16 June 2003 - 20:38
Can u get longhorn of Kazaa i wouldn&#39;t mind trying it
Why? I thought you said you couldn&#39;t get better....... [/b][/quote]
:lol:
longhorn aint out for years so im sure the "verified" is glitchy as fuck

its not like its gonna be completed then they gonna let it sit around for years till they release it

stick with xp till full longhorn release i say

evilbagpuss
06-17-2003, 02:40 AM
imho XP is just Win2k with a few bells and whistles, a fair amount of instability and some serious privacy problems&#33;

:D

It&#39;s pretty I guess, but I&#39;ve always been more concerned with functionality as opposed to aesthetics.

super_science_monkey
06-17-2003, 03:09 AM
:lol: :lol:
slackware all the way

evilbagpuss
06-17-2003, 03:25 AM
slackware all the way

hehe I use that too, the latest release is excellent.

Windows for entertainment, linux for the serious stuff. Thats my strategy B)

super_science_monkey
06-17-2003, 06:06 AM
im installing fluxbox on mine.its gonna be pretty sweet :D

ultimatejester
06-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Paul_NFFC@17 June 2003 - 02:31
longhorn aint out for years so im sure the "verified" is glitchy as fuck

its not like its gonna be completed then they gonna let it sit around for years till they release it

stick with xp till full longhorn release i say
i agree with paul, longhorn is still in beta and it will probably have million bugs, but i would sure like to try it.

Illuminati
06-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@17 June 2003 - 02:05
The day that Microsoft produce a product that does not suck is the day they produce a vacuum cleaner.
ROFL - Sorry guys, I just can&#39;t stop laughing at this comment. Oh, the irony :lol:

But yeah, I don&#39;t really know an OS that Microsoft have built that&#39;s significantly stable...apart from MS-DOS.

If you&#39;re gonna try Longhorn, I&#39;d personally recommend that you install it on a spare computer. You know, like one you were planning to blow up anyway ;)

Other than that, I&#39;d probably download these builds of Longhorn for historical records.

Neil__
06-18-2003, 02:24 PM
XP would be great if it worked.
same as most of their other faulty goods.

don&#39;t get me wrong i&#39;m not a supporter lots of their stuff sucks even if when does work

Lamsey
06-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Neil__@18 June 2003 - 15:24
XP would be great if it worked.
same as most of their other faulty goods.

don&#39;t get me wrong i&#39;m not a supporter lots of their stuff sucks even if when does work
XP works. It&#39;s just not perfect.

bilbo4987
06-18-2003, 02:50 PM
XP sucks. 98 sucks. 95 sucked. 3.11 sucked. MS-DOS sucked big time. A lot of us use Microsoft products just because we have to. If we want to interact with our friends and co-workers, if we want to see websites properly (a lot of them are IE specific), if we want to play the latest games, there&#39;s hardly any choice. It&#39;s a Microsoft world, and it&#39;s ugly.

(edit: typos).

Cl1mh4224rd
06-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester@17 June 2003 - 21:46
longhorn is still in beta and it will probably have million bugs, but i would sure like to try it.
Beta? Hell, it was still an alpha version the last time I checked...

ultimatejester
06-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@19 June 2003 - 07:50
i read that it was still in beta or a test version.

Here check it out (http://news.com.com/2100-1016-1000281.html)

kennyboy
06-19-2003, 10:57 AM
No, XP isn&#39;t perfect, but surely it has to be a great improvement on everything that came before, and don&#39;t we all remember the hours of frustration trying to get previous operating systems to work at all. I for one am really happy with XP, if only because it is the best that is available at the moment, and lets me get on with the important stuff......like work.......:)

ck-uk
06-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MetroStars@16 June 2003 - 21:36

I can&#39;t beleve u r going 2 downgrade 2 win me... that was the worst ever...

but hey it&#39;s your computer

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/howardava.jpg
Metro..ur mad :P i agree with livy i ran me for yrs without much probs..if i wasnt
so lazy and likin&#39; these curves and colours i go back :P

ryanraab
06-19-2003, 02:52 PM
I say XP rocks. Best yet. Also I add no problems with windows media player and that&#39;s the only player I use except for quicktime for .mov and realplayer for .rm

Also for the guys that said it will downgrade you must have a shitty computer if it takes long to boot etc.

Also longhorn is now in beta stage no alpha version no more. So I guess it&#39;s little more stable now. :lol:

MetroStars
06-19-2003, 02:57 PM
I say XP rocks. Best yet. Also I add no problems with windows media player and that&#39;s the only player I use except for quicktime for .mov and realplayer for .rm

Also for the guys that said it will downgrade you must have a shitty computer if it takes long to boot etc.

Also longhorn is now in beta stage no alpha version no more. So I guess it&#39;s little more stable now

I will back ryanraab on this...

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/mascot.jpg

BawA
06-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Xp is best windows i have try no problem at all
but here in middle east still lots of people belive in win98

ultimatejester
06-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@19 June 2003 - 07:50
buddy u need to no whts going on outside ur own little world and for ur message title no u cant type whatever u want in here.

m8t
06-20-2003, 11:32 AM
:D
hi there &#33;
xp is the ultimate &#33;
but i must say 98se did teach me how to reformat.
after using xp , i don&#39;t think i can do it anymore(reformat)
regards
m8t :D

balamm*
06-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Q: When will the Longhorn beta start?
A: Early 2004. Microsoft will provide developers with a pre-Beta 1 build and the new Longhorn APIs in October 2003 at the Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles. Then, Beta 1 and Beta 2 will ship in 2004, Microsoft says.

Early 2004
- Longhorn to enter beta testing stage.

Tried all the sites and resources I know and there is absolutely no mention of any thing more than an upcoming longhorn "prebeta" at this time. I deleted the last news letter from MS without really reading much of it but I would have noticed if there was anything specific to longhorn.

So I don&#39;t know where you got your info from but untill I see a confirmation or confidentiallity letter from MS...... I think some appologies might be in order??

No, an article from betas.org or betas.com isn&#39;t proof of anything.

They create betas when even MS doesn&#39;t know what the hell they&#39;re about.
But this is their latest posting for longhorn >

Windows® CodeName LongHorn - 6.0.4015.0 (main.030328-1500)

Sibre
06-20-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati@17 June 2003 - 21:52
...But yeah, I don&#39;t really know an OS that Microsoft have built that&#39;s significantly stable...apart from MS-DOS...
That struck me as rather funny...technically, didn&#39;t someone else create DOS, not Microsoft? If so, then Microsoft has yet to build a very stable OS...

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Well Said&#33;

It amazes me that members of this forum(with all the information that&#39;s here) still think that piece of spyware/adware longhorn crap is a good OS.
OMG&#33;
With Pavlovian attitude&#39;s like ones I&#39;m reading here towards Microsoft products they aren&#39;t going to have much of a problem implementing this evil software called Longhorn.

XP lovers:
Did you know that XP sends out all kinds of info about you (without asking your permission) unless you stop it via a firewall or something.
Chances are you won&#39;t even be aware of it unless your running a firewall.
:rolleyes:

Spicker
06-21-2003, 12:52 AM
WUTEVER U DO DUNT GO TO LONGHORN BETA....i had it for one day HAS LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS OF BUGZ IN IT and if u wana go back to windows xP...welll itz complicated...the xp cd thinks u hav a better version of windows so u cnat install it so u hav to change ur compatibility to win 2000 but if u do that ur folders and evrthing gets fuked so i HIGHLY reccomend u dunt get longhorn.... ;)

toddiscool
06-21-2003, 05:47 AM
You know what would make me really happy, would be if Microsoft would swallow some pride and just write the next windows from the ground up instead of writing ontop of the previous peice of sh*t. I mean yeah I like XP, but it is written ontop of 2000 (another good OS) but that was written ontop of ME which is a peice.

I am no expert on this kinda stuff, but it just makes sense the the bugs from 3.1 still exist in operating systems that have been written ontop of it.

Cl1mh4224rd
06-21-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by ultimatejester+19 June 2003 - 16:20--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ultimatejester &#064; 19 June 2003 - 16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cl1mh4224rd@19 June 2003 - 07:50
buddy u need to no whts going on outside ur own little world and for ur message title no u cant type whatever u want in here. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, umm... as was said before: Proof, please.

I may be in my own world, but I don&#39;t take some lamer&#39;s misuse of the word "beta" as official Microsoft confirmation. Maybe I&#39;m not the one who needs to know what&#39;s going on... ;)

Oh, and... you sooo fuuunnnyyy... *giggles* :rolleyes:

Cl1mh4224rd
06-21-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by toddiscool@21 June 2003 - 06:47
I mean yeah I like XP, but it is written ontop of 2000 (another good OS) but that was written ontop of ME which is a peice.
Umm... Windows ME came out after Windows 2000 (I believe).

Windows 2000 is based off of the NT kernel. Windows XP is a further advancement of the NT family.

Windows ME is based off of the Windows 9x kernel, which is being put to rest.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/WinHistor...ProGraphic.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/WinHistoryProGraphic.mspx)

balamm*
06-21-2003, 06:12 AM
Windows 2000 wasn&#39;t in any way related to Windows ME.
NT was released in 1993, long before even windows 95 had been heard of. It was in no way compatable with desktop windows in it&#39;s early days.
Despite growing pains, it&#39;s still a very viable OS obviously as all future builds of windows are based on it. The next server version will be Blackcomb ( in keeping with the pisstank developers love of the Whistler B.C. resort area ). No release date yet.

SAN FRANCISCO - Oct. 27, 1998 - Microsoft Corp. today announced at a press conference in San Francisco that the next major release of the Microsoft® Windows NT® operating system line of products - the most significant update to Windows NT ever - will be named Windows® 2000. This announcement reflects the continuing and substantial marketplace momentum driving Windows NT-based products into the mainstream for millions of business customers worldwide.

Windows NT was first released five years ago as a specialized operating system for technical and business needs,

Microsoft formed what was to become the development team for Windows NT in 1988 with the goal of developing a thoroughly modern, fully 32-bit, robust, multipurpose operating system. The first versions of Windows NT - Windows NT 3.1 and Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1 - were released in July 1993. Those first products featured a new micro-kernel operating system architecture, pre-emptive multitasking scheduler, the fault-tolerant file system of Windows NT, multiprocessor support, the 32-bit Windows-based architecture, powerful domain-level security, file and print services, and more.

toddiscool
06-21-2003, 09:38 AM
All the microsoft OS&#39;s were written one on top of the other (I do conceide that I know very little about kernels, and about software writing, hell I even got the order they came out in wrong) but point remaining that everythin is written on top of the one before it. If it were taken from the ground up I fell that even microsot could build stable, and attractive OS.

Forgive me if this discussion is out of my League (I do concede that this is not my forte) but just what I have gathered with little research.

balamm*
06-21-2003, 11:25 AM
I don&#39;t suppose any one would have a link handy for that windows v1.0 pictured in the link above?
Prefferably on cassette tape lol &#33;
With a product key sticker still on it would be even better&#33;

I&#39;ve only ever seen a picture of the beast once.

bilbo4987
06-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Here is Windows 1.01 (http://toastytech.com/guis/win101disk.zip). It&#39;s a 1.44MB image file that boots to Win1.

http://toastytech.com/guis/win101logo.gif

(edit: typos)

Fluffy_Bunny
06-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Okay, don&#39;t wanna stir up any commotion, but I heard rumor (in, I think PC Gamer Magazine) that the next version of Windows will have anti-pirating software built into it. Is this true? Anyone else heard something similar?

Oh, and please don&#39;t flame me if I&#39;m wrong... I know that&#39;s the custom around here and all... <_<

dragon_son
06-21-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Fluffy_Bunny@21 June 2003 - 15:43
Okay, don&#39;t wanna stir up any commotion, but I heard rumor (in, I think PC Gamer Magazine) that the next version of Windows will have anti-pirating software built into it. Is this true? Anyone else heard something similar?

Oh, and please don&#39;t flame me if I&#39;m wrong... I know that&#39;s the custom around here and all... <_<
well that would go against xp as xp has built in burning capabilities <_<

ilw
06-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Yep not just the next version of xp, but also future hardware that u buy will all have anti copyright (and also providing additional security) built in. Search google for longhorn or look at some of the other posts in this seciton about longhorn and u should find all hte info u could ever want.

balamm*
06-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Lol Thanks Bilbo &#33;&#33; I dunno how I keep missing these new posts but I&#39;ll give that a try.

RE: Anti piracy,
it&#39;s not quite anti piracy as such. It&#39;s been wildly misunderstood although the capabilty will be there. It seems to be one more step in the direction of "quality" control that microsoft has been tightening in the last few builds.
As in server 2003, It Will crash and die horribly if you install the wrong, or Non Digitaly signed driver. With the new code locked into the hardware, you won&#39;t be able to install a "wrong" bit of software and no one else will be able to modify or add any thing that accesses that hardware.
The hardware will also protect your software and documents as I understand it.

Of course the paranoid approach would be to disbelieve this and assume it&#39;s only for the benifit of Microsoft and it&#39;s (consumed) partners.

Maybe a wise approach until tested further&#33;&#33;

*since we&#39;re getting historical here, Take a look at the past and future of MS and windows ( I remember BOB &#33;&#33; lol ) http://bink.nu/mscodes.htm

Bob&#33;&#33; >>
http://home.pmt.org/~drose/aw-win3x-16.html