PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell the format of your download?

BigH
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
As more and more downloads are at least 4.5 GB, my media player plays ISO but not IMG files

how does one tell which type it'll be, before downloading starts?
(NFO doesn't seem to say)

joebono
07-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Between Daemon tools and VLC player you should be able to play everything.

backlash
07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I always just change the extension to ISO when I dl img files and burn them with nero. I haven't had a problem yet.

Beck38
07-05-2007, 02:23 AM
I run everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, through DVDRemake and burn the video files rather than mess with iso's (or img's) anyway. Tends to 'clean out' mistakes made by the rippers, and remove a lot of the 'slime' they tend to leave in.

I think the Daemon tools was the first little utility I put on my first 'DVD machine' some 6+ years ago, still going just fine on machine #3, use it even though I have several commercial knock-offs in burning pgms and such.

BigH
07-05-2007, 05:29 AM
I always just change the extension to ISO when I dl img files and burn them with nero. I haven't had a problem yet.

do you change the extension by using 'rename' - didn't realise it would be that simple - doh!

previously was burning them, but wanted to save time by just dragging and dropping to my media player and watch directly from there

rippinitup4fun
07-05-2007, 04:57 PM

do you change the extension by using 'rename' - didn't realise it would be that simple - doh!

previously was burning them, but wanted to save time by just dragging and dropping to my media player and watch directly from there

I would avoid just renaming them as it can cause corruption. Instead use MagicISO. It can convert almost any image format to any other image format in no time (few seconds to few minutes).

BigH
07-06-2007, 08:03 AM

I would avoid just renaming them as it can cause corruption. Instead use MagicISO. It can convert almost any image format to any other image format in no time (few seconds to few minutes).

thanks a lot - works a treat :D

sp0ngeb0b
07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't really see the point in converting. While I do use Nero for some burning, ImgBurn is a great program for burning all types of dvd images. You should check it out!
http://imgburn.com/

BigH
07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't really see the point in converting. While I do use Nero for some burning, ImgBurn is a great program for burning all types of dvd images. You should check it out!

but I don't want to burn

I only want to watch them on my mediaplayer, which doesn't recognise IMG, but does play ISO

Evil Fish
07-09-2007, 05:13 PM

but I don't want to burn

I only want to watch them on my mediaplayer, which doesn't recognise IMG, but does play ISO

download daemon tools. mount the img file and you can watch it just like as if you put a dvd in your computer :)

backlash
07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
in order to change the extension you have to have the extension visible. Open my computer > Tools > folder options > view tab > untick "hide extensions for known file types"

Like I said, I've never had a problem and it takes 2 seconds to change it. Just change the part after the .

example.img > remove the "mg" and type "so" so it's example.iso

whallah!

Racket
07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I second Daemon Tools. It's free! Download here! (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5)
It's easy; just right click the systray icon, set the number of virtual drives, and mount your image to one of those virtual drives. Now any dvd application will play your file. No need to burn. :)

dutchmaster420
07-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Nero burns img. files just fine

I use dvd santa for everything else

E0h2H8mr
07-11-2007, 07:23 PM
just utulize the utulity daemon tools to laod dvd be4 burnign to mak esure dvd si not corrupt

Evil Fish
07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
yeah, i always mount all the images on daemon before burning them :) useful tool to have.