PDA

View Full Version : Changing Os?

g3cK0
06-18-2003, 02:50 AM
i'm currently running win98se, what would i have to do to switch to winXP? any precautions to make?

thanks

Ad
06-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Personaly I would prefer to do a clean install after formating

make sure you have any important data backed up and the right drivers on disk!!!!

I remember when I went from 98 to XP XP wouldnt find my modem and I had to buy a new one becaseu it wasnt suited for XP!!

Xilo
06-18-2003, 02:58 AM
Whenever upgrading, it's always best to start fresh and do a reformat. It might suck but it's worth it down the line. For one, NTFS filesystem is a lot faster and better then FAT32. When you upgrade, alot of traces are still left of the old OS and drivers and that. It also can lead to a bunch of errors and that. So it's best to suck up and just reformat... It might be a bitch but it's worth it then just taking the easy way out and just upgrading...

g3cK0
06-18-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@18 June 2003 - 03:57
I remember when I went from 98 to XP XP wouldnt find my modem and I had to buy a new one becaseu it wasnt suited for XP!!
anywhere i can check if my hardware is "suited" for XP or not?

Xilo
06-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Um, first check all the websites for your hardware and make sure they have XP drivers. Also, there is a utitlity on the XP cd that will check the compatibility of everything installed on your system.

ultimatejester
06-18-2003, 10:39 AM
yea what xila sed <_<

browser
06-18-2003, 11:33 AM
I have 98sec and i also want xp pro, i don&#39;t know that much so could you help me. I would like to keep all my files etc. how? i have a second pc with a dvd+rw which is networked to my win98sec pc. how and what do i back-up

ilw
06-18-2003, 12:10 PM
To back it up send the files across the network to the other comptuer and either burn a dvd of them or just leave them on the hard drive and send them back when u have upgraded.
Files to keep are usually:
My documents
Downloaded program installers of programs u want to keep (ie Not the files in &#39;program files&#39; but rather the installers that u initially used)
Any loose files that u want to keep eg pictures/ audio/ video

browser
06-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ilw@18 June 2003 - 12:10
To back it up send the files across the network to the other comptuer and either burn a dvd of them or just leave them on the hard drive and send them back when u have upgraded.
Files to keep are usually:
My documents
Downloaded program installers of programs u want to keep (ie Not the files in &#39;program files&#39; but rather the installers that u initially used)
Any loose files that u want to keep eg pictures/ audio/ video
if not program files, then what folder? can i just store my whole hard drive on the new PC and move it back after?

Wizzandabe
06-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Well im making my own PC, so I will be doing a clean install.

browser
06-18-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe@18 June 2003 - 16:12
Well im making my own PC, so I will be doing a clean install.
good 4 u wizzandabe............but that doesn&#39;t exactly help me&#33;&#33;&#33;

Sibre
06-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Well, if you just stored your whole hard drive on the other, and just moved it back, you would essentially defeat the purpose of the reformat. You would then be putting all the junk files and stuff that formatting would get rid of. It would essentially be the same as doing an upgrade. Also, some of your programs would fail to work properly. You would also risk overwriting important files.

The best thing to do would be to keep the SETUP files of programs you want to keep, unless you have the CD to install from. In that case, don&#39;t even worry about it. Basically, back up My Documents, and any download folders that you use, and backup your pictures, music, and movies if you have them. Just put them in a folder on the other computer, and then install XP, and move them back over. You can always re-install your programs.

browser
06-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Thnx for ne1 who helped me but i will just download a windows xp pro upgrade from 98sec which i found quite easily (it keeps files and settings)