PDA

View Full Version : 6-1 reader

peat moss
07-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Hi guys and gurrrls have a problem with a pre-built computer tonite that my friend just bought , deal was I would install the software for her . But on install I have more more drives than a Saturday afternoon on the golf course so thought what the hell ? The card reader lite is on so thought thats not right ?

Probably just crossed wires and could fix or disable but pissed me off . Thought will just install software for her and found can't find "D" as its called G ? WPI from XP Ingego was what I'm using . I'm so frustrated as know I could fix it but worried about warranty as the fucker is like one hour old . :frusty:

My question is, should not be a lite on a drive your not using ? :dabs:

lynx
07-07-2007, 07:17 AM
I take it that this 6-in-1 reader has 6 slots? If so, you will have a drive letter for each slot.

If you had 6 floppy drives you would have 6 slots and 6 drive letters, it's just the same for card readers.

And the light should be on to indicate it is connected.

zapjb
07-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Good to know lynx.

And remember peat, no good deed goes unpunished.

lynx
07-07-2007, 07:45 AM
It surprised me when I got one, I was only expecting a single extra drive. When you realise that you could have a card in each slot it starts to make sense.

I had to plug it in to check on the light though. :rolleyes:

clocker
07-07-2007, 11:26 AM
What software were you installing?

Whenever I install Windows on a PC with a cardreader I unplug the reader's USB header beforehand.
That way you install the OS on C: instead of some random drive letter- Sonys are particularly bad about this, you can end up with the OS on G if you're not careful.

mbucari1
07-07-2007, 01:18 PM
What software were you installing?

Whenever I install Windows on a PC with a cardreader I unplug the reader's USB header beforehand.
That way you install the OS on C: instead of some random drive letter- Sonys are particularly bad about this, you can end up with the OS on G if you're not careful.Is there a problem with that? It happened to me once and didn't cause any problems.

peat moss
07-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm formating again (3rd) time with a genaritc xp disk and at setup I now have C: Partion1 new raw .:frusty: I'll have to install all her programs seperatly now but what a pain in the ass .

To be honest I'v never seen a 6-1 card reader and hope never again .Its called Istar by the way like that dog of a movie . I'm glad I asked you people first instead of phoning the store and complaining . :whistling

Guys here's the deal I got her , I'm pretty happy for just a budget system .

P4 Value System was the one . :)

http://www.alinx.ca/flyer.asp

Virtualbody1234
07-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm formating again (3rd) time with a genaritc xp disk and at setup I now have C: Partion1 new raw .:frusty: I'll have to install all her programs seperatly now but what a pain in the ass .

To be honest I'v never seen a 6-1 card reader and hope never again .Its called Istar by the way like that dog of a movie . I'm glad I asked you people first instead of phoning the store and complaining . :whistling

http://www.alinx.ca/flyer.aspI would have gone with the AMD value system (better Nvidia graphics).

peat moss
07-07-2007, 05:19 PM

http://www.alinx.ca/flyer.aspI would have gone with the AMD value system (better Nvidia graphics).

Smart ass ! :D Thats why I like you VB , but she's a Intel fangirl and we're looking for a good Vid card later in a few weeks but money was an issue . She likes Final Fantasy online and burning music so it was pretty easy to set her up . The card reader is something she would probably never use but oh well . :happy:

On a side note I offered Vista Ultimate for her setup but she said no thanks it does n't work well with my online game . :dry: She knows computers so didn't push the issue .

clocker
07-08-2007, 05:11 PM
On a side note I offered Vista Ultimate for her setup but she said no thanks it does n't work well with my online game . :dry: She knows computers so didn't push the issue .
Well, she knows computers well enough to turn down Vista Ultimate on a PC that could never properly run it, that's for sure.

The question is: why did you think it would be a good idea?

peat moss
07-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, she knows computers well enough to turn down Vista Ultimate on a PC that could never properly run it, that's for sure.

The question is: why did you think it would be a good idea?

Just grasping at straws as my Indego disk was giving us trouble so tried a old version of XP and jumped thro hoops getting it WGA approved . The Vista disk I have is an all version like Home , Basic, Ulitmate etc so it dummy's down for your set up . You get frustrated and its getting late sort of thing . Feel bad for her as now she needs a Video card to play her game .

peat moss
07-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi guys , ended up getting her an Asus ATI X1600 PRO 512mb for $ 120.00 CDN. She seems pretty content @ stock settings so everyones happy . That Final Fantasy XII online game is one bad addiction eh ? :O