PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Audiobooks - Stephen Fry or Jim Dale?

Demigod
07-07-2007, 04:30 AM
Since the final book is coming out, I was just wondering which reader you guys prefer?

From what I've gathered, Fry reads the British version of the book while Dale reads the American version. I've only listened to Dale (for one book) and I thought it was quite good but have heard a lot of people saying that Fry is better than Dale so just want to get some opinions before getting the audiobooks.

Thanks in advance for any input.

WHRST
07-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Well, I did try a few audio books but i prefer reading them myself.

letholori
07-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I prefer Jim Dale, but that might be because I'm from sweden and more used to hear american english.

SAM
08-07-2007, 04:43 AM
jim dale is awesome

Darth Sushi
09-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Jim Dale all the way. Stephen Fry's voice over of Voldemort sounds too high pitch to me.

Grind$oFine
09-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Jim Dale, but it would make sense that I'd prefer the American take on it...

WarrenBuffet
09-27-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm Illiterate, but also deaf. I also have no balls

thewizeard
09-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm Illiterate, but also deaf. I also have no balls<_<

You are a foolish immature spammer

scrambler
09-30-2007, 12:01 AM
i prefer reading them myself but i did start downloading the audios and chose fry's. i think its because i already knew his voice and i follow the british version.

n33raj
10-05-2007, 01:55 PM
how random! people wanting jim dale!
i love stephen fry, hes the best and cleverest guy out there in the public! hes such an icon, and a fantastic narrator. so definately stephen for me :D
x

namhvo
10-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I prefer Stephen Fry.

nrl4d2
11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
I have not heard Fry but Jim Dale did a great job

suckit1
11-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Jim Dale did a great job for the whole series

mera
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I prefer S.fry. Very humorous.

Demigod
12-05-2007, 02:03 AM
I keep hearing from people that Stephen Fry is better but I've listened to both and I prefer Jim Dale. To me, he just does the voice better and it is simply easier to discern between the different characters.

Seoman
12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I prefer Jim Dale, he did a great job on the whole series.

barry6521
12-07-2007, 04:14 PM
stephen fry

grimms
12-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Prefer reading them myself but will check out Jim Dale. Thanks for the info.

03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I've just listened the first three books by Stephen Fry and all I can say is that HE IS THE ONE. I can't see anyone else performing it so brilliantly. Sorry for Jim Dale but I've listened to some paragraphs just to compare and I stick to my guns though

Overlord
03-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Jim Dale, Stephen Fry puts me to sleep.

Wire_n_Wood
10-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Fry's other ventures and/or intellect don't really have to do anything with his work on the HP audiobooks. He's great, but that's not why someone would listen to him narrating.

I've listened to all the books, narrated by both Jim Dale and Stephen Fry. While I started with Dale and was pleased, I found out that I prefer Fry's version all the way.

First of all, Dale has a weird, monotonous "melody" in the way he narrates. He reads without emphasising any of the words, which is very important when narrating stories. So every sentence feels exactly the same. If these were theatrical monologues, the audience wouldn't be very satisfied. Try listening to it without really paying attention to the words (for instance, if you are doing something else) and you'll see.

Then he sounds like his mouth is parched. I mean, there are times where I was like "ok, stop and drink some water!".

He's great at making voices, I give him that. But the way he reads the passages of the characters sometimes sound like he is trying too much. It's not natural. Like "nobody talks like that!". The good thing about the books is that Rowling is very specific and descriptive about the tones, moods, attitudes and psychological states of the characters, almost every time someone speaks. And I think Dale sometimes doesn't quite nail it.

Fry has a much more gripping narrative. He knows on which words to place the emphasis and he also changes the speed with which he reads, bringing the text to life. In addition, he is British therefore has an advantage over others when it comes to lending his way of talking to british characters. He really follows Rowling's "instructions" when it comes to "acting out" character dialogue. And he is not bad at colouring characters either. More subtle than Dale, but I feel this makes it all the more brilliant.