PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Fan

hugoharding
06-18-2003, 11:08 AM
I've got a AMD Athalon™, and it keeps overheating. If I was to buy a new fan for it, would it simply be a case of unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in?
And how much would I be paying for a good one in the UK?

Thanks,
Hugo.

Lamsey
06-18-2003, 12:00 PM
There is a clip which you must use to bind the new cooler to the CPU socket. It's quite stiff - use a screwdriver or something similar to press it into position.
You also have to aplly thermal paste to the CPU die to ensure a good thermal bond with the heatsink.

See the tutorial pinned at the top of HardwareWorld for more detail.

CornerPocket
06-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Might I suggest you try using Artic Silver 3 (http://www.arcticsilver.com/as3.htm) and perhaps a heatsink/fan combo based on copper fins and that it is suitable/recommended to work with the cpu you have. As Lamsey suggest, take a look at the Computer Resources on the top of Hardware.

namzuf9
06-18-2003, 01:30 PM
While we&#39;re on the subject; could anyone recommend a nice quiet fan & heatsink combo for an AMD 1800XP. I know theres plenty out there that claim to "be as quiet as a whisper" but has anyone got one fitted. (The fan that came with the cpu is driving my g/f nuts <_< )

zapjb
06-18-2003, 04:35 PM
hugoharding, you&#39;re talking about a fan only. The replies you received by Lamsey & CornerPocket are for HSF combo. If you just want a fan, it&#39;s as you say. Just plug it in. Of course it will have to fit on your current HS. And make sure if you need the 3 or 4 pin plug. Fans here in the USA are anywhere from &#036;2-&#036;20USD. HSF combos are &#036;5-&#036;50. And to namzuf9 it depends onyour MB as well. Cause not all HSF fit on all MB&#39;s or in all cases. :)