PDA

View Full Version : I would seed more if they werent archived

DaMan05
07-07-2007, 10:25 PM
dont you think? if what i downloaded wasent archived, i would litteraly seed forever. i keep most of what i download on my HDDs but i usually delete the archives. if i want to seed for a long time, i have to keep two copies of the release! the archived and the extracted! these arent newsgroups or FTPs... DITCH THE ARCHIVES!!

who agrees with me? :)

long live BMTV and TVT where there are NO ARCHIVES :D:D

clubzz
07-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Totally agree with you :)

mievmo
07-07-2007, 10:36 PM
yep

LinkS v2.0
07-07-2007, 10:37 PM
dont you think? if what i downloaded wasent archived, i would litteraly seed forever. i keep most of what i download on my HDDs but i usually delete the archives. if i want to seed for a long time, i have to keep two copies of the release! the archived and the extracted! these arent newsgroups... DITCH THE ARCHIVES!!

who agrees with me? :)

long live BMTV and TVT where there are NO ARCHIVES :D:D

yeahhh scenereleases come from newsgroups...

NYGiants
07-07-2007, 10:46 PM
yes i agree to do away with them

DaMan05
07-07-2007, 10:52 PM
yes i agree to do away with them

but who will listen :(

mbucari1
07-07-2007, 10:54 PM
I totally agree but NO ONE will listen :(

They think that if they don't use archives, people will think that a release isn't scene. Either that, or would be to much of a hassle to extract them on the remote server.

th0r
07-07-2007, 11:55 PM
uploading torrents in .rars has been a scene standard for so many years, why would they all of a sudden stop doing it that way?

ceasar
07-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Absolutely - with file splitted to archives you can use that partial seeding and optimize your space :)

mbucari1
07-08-2007, 12:30 AM
uploading torrents in .rars has been a scene standard for so many years, why would they all of a sudden stop doing it that way?It makes sense for the scene because if a file is corrupted during transfer among the topsites, they can transfer only the corrupted archive part and not the entire file. But it is useless for bittorrent users. The underlying basis for the protocol is a hash check of all files.

It would be great if BT sites would make a policy for uploaders to extract rar's before they create their torrent's. However, this would cut down on the pre-times and some uploaders might not have enough space on their servers to do this.

Dr_Green_Thumb
07-08-2007, 02:02 AM
i got the transformers game from arenaBG and it wasnt archived and I almost pissed my pants. Saved me a 5-8 minute unpacking so I could go check my pants.

WHRST
07-08-2007, 02:19 AM
I really don't see a problem with it since it won't change for one. Why should uploaders have to unrar them when u can do it but i just delete them after I am done seeding them anyway I do burn most things to dvd though. @Dr_Green_Thumb 5minutes to unpack? u serious, it takes me only 9 -30sec to unpack xvid and only 2 1/2 min to unpack a dvd, but really it does not make a difference to me. The only thing that takes a while for me is unpacking tv season but still i don't care. Though do tend to leave rars on my hd til I feel like unpacking but I have enough space. Though i should not have voted I do seed things for 3 or more days already so my vote will not have made a difference.

IceTee
07-08-2007, 02:56 AM
uploading torrents in .rars has been a scene standard for so many years, why would they all of a sudden stop doing it that way?It makes sense for the scene because if a file is corrupted during transfer among the topsites, they can transfer only the corrupted archive part and not the entire file. But it is useless for bittorrent users. The underlying basis for the protocol is a hash check of all files.

It would be great if BT sites would make a policy for uploaders to extract rar's before they create their torrent's. However, this would cut down on the pre-times and some uploaders might not have enough space on their servers to do this.

:yup:

RainRoofer
07-08-2007, 03:57 AM
I would seed it longer, but I'll probably burn it in time soon cuz of my crapy 80GB.

vipaar
07-08-2007, 05:17 AM
whether it is archived or not doesn`t affect how long I seed for, I usually "archive" the files I grab to DVD anyway so that I can always come back to them later, quite a few people burn films and TV series to disc to watch on their DVD players so they usually only have the one copy on their PCs, I do have a prob with passworded archives tho, I think they are unnecessary, but just ask yourself one question, if you downloaded a 4.35GB ISO and then found out that it was corrupted, how would you feel about having to download the whole 4.35GB file again instead of just downloading a single partfile of maybe 14-15MB? I would feel really p*ssed at that

TheGeneral
07-08-2007, 06:16 AM
agreed

whiteboy
07-08-2007, 06:37 AM
Word, I agree. When I watch a movie I always forget to delete the un rared xvid (or whatever) and it kills my HDD space.

WHRST
07-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Word, I agree. When I watch a movie I always forget to delete the un rared xvid (or whatever) and it kills my HDD space.

burn them to dvd, that does help me remember to delete them and then i could come back and watch them later if i felt like doing so.

Demigod
07-08-2007, 07:04 AM
I think your argument only applies to video files. I don't know how convenient it would be to have iso/bin/cue files unarchived because if the file corrupts, it would be a pain to have to redownload the whole thing.

The split archive makes it easier because you only have to download a few pieces.

pECi
07-08-2007, 07:23 AM
some video players like bsplayer, vlc and others now support viewing the movie straight from the rars

Night0wl
07-08-2007, 07:26 AM
I have lots of space so not really a problem for me, but I can understand how you feel about it.

I already seed for long times, 72 hours is not a normal thing for me. More like weeks on and off if it was something I kept

I think rared unrared should be optional for video as that would only broaden the content on sites.

limpdickkid
07-08-2007, 07:38 AM
It actually doesnt matter to me, and shouldnt really matter to anyone. Use Dziobas player (http://ds6.ovh.org/drp.html). It plays straight when you drag and drop any rar file from the release onto it. Excellent player for scene releases.

Daniel
07-08-2007, 07:44 AM
There already are some trackers who don't seed archived releases and personally, I love to use them! With a total of 1.4TB disk space I don't have a problem in seeding archived torrents even over large periods of times. In reality though, this diskspace - while it sounds like a lot - isn't all that much because I hardly ever burn a dvd.

mortalman
07-08-2007, 07:44 AM
It actually doesnt matter to me, and shouldnt really matter to anyone. Use Dziobas player (http://ds6.ovh.org/drp.html). It plays straight when you drag and drop any rar file from the release onto it. Excellent player for scene releases.

holly shit thx m8 this program rocks i uselessly use my modded xbox (XBMC) to stream my movies threw my network:)

Kebert
07-08-2007, 08:02 AM
I would definately like to see a private XviD tracker with un-rared releases.

Mud
07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah i would, i can only seed for a little bit. I have a laptop with only 240 gigs of space.

KennyD
07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
One more reason why my $50 softmodded xbox is the greatest asset to my home theater :) Long live XBMC!

JayJayL
07-10-2007, 12:08 PM
I would definitely seed for longer were the files unarchived. Though I don't really mind rarred movies and TV episodes as long as it keeps the pretime down, I don't see the point of having entire seasons of a TV program left as an archive.

mbucari1
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I know. I had to unrar the entire 3rd season of lost in 720P

and I haven't even started on the star trek series yet.

DaMan05
07-10-2007, 05:37 PM
the archives are just fine except for the fact that while seeding, you have to keep 2 copies of everything! taking double the space

nadeem111as
07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
ya it is true
i seed in bitmetv for example much more than other because they are non archivers

r9batista
07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I would probably seed more if they weren't in archieve files cause I hate keeping two copies of one thing in my computer.

kapowcowpwned
07-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Why not just keep the rar format and unrar it when you want to watch it? Then when you're finished, delete it.

WHRST
07-11-2007, 02:16 AM
Why not just keep the rar format and unrar it when you want to watch it? Then when you're finished, delete it.

thats what I do most of the time though I am a bit lazy lately and don't extract til I feel like burning the files to dvd.