PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol question:Is ABV the same as the %?

jimbo12345
07-08-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm wanting to say this:

"Due to growing public health educationabout the dangers of drinking strong spirits/liquors , Chinese drinkers are now turning to lower ABV drinks.?

Is that the right terminology?

Someone told me that % of alcohol and ABV content are 2 different things. So, a bottle of vodka is 40% alcohol and not 40% ABV.:blink:

Anyone know the answer?

Cheers!!

lynx
07-08-2007, 08:38 AM
They are the same.

The alternative would be to measure alcohol by weight (ABW), but since alcohol is much dense than water (the other basic ingredient of alcoholic drinks) working out the amount of alcohol is more complex.

With ABV, at 20% you know there are 200ml of alcohol per litre, at 40% you know there are 400ml of alcohol per litre, etc.

With ABW, at 20% there are at 241 ml of alcohol, at 40% there are 459 ml of alcohol. It isn't linear so you can't easily work out how much you are getting.

I need a drink after working that out.

Sextent
07-08-2007, 09:54 AM
ABV and percent proof are entirely different things.

ABV is Alcohol by Volume and simply represents the percentage of a liquid which is alcohol. So 5% abv would mean 5% of the beer is alcohol.

Percent proof is a far higher number and historically a wee bit mental. Dating from about the 18th century and used to prove how high the alcohol content was in spirits. Ball park the ratio is about 7:4 (Proof:ABV).

Anyhow, your comment re lower ABV etc makes sence

jimbo12345
07-08-2007, 10:16 AM
cheers lynx! Helps a lot, thanks :)

jimbo12345
07-08-2007, 03:59 PM
and thanx Sextent also :)

Busyman™
07-08-2007, 11:26 PM
They are the same.

The alternative would be to measure alcohol by weight (ABW), but since alcohol is much dense than water (the other basic ingredient of alcoholic drinks) working out the amount of alcohol is more complex.

With ABV, at 20% you know there are 200ml of alcohol per litre, at 40% you know there are 400ml of alcohol per litre, etc.

With ABW, at 20% there are at 241 ml of alcohol, at 40% there are 459 ml of alcohol. It isn't linear so you can't easily work out how much you are getting.

I need a drink after working that out.

Thanks for that.:)

Barbarossa
07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
They are the same.

ABV and percent proof are entirely different things.

Well that's cleared things up then :wacko:

Chip Monk
07-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Actually it's the question which causes the problem.

I answered as a comparison between ABV and % Proof, which are the common measurements outside of the US. lynx answered as a comparison between ABV and ABW, ABW being really a USA thing. I have to say I found his explanation a bit bizarre, as he said they were the same thing then went on to explain the difference. Unless he was saying that ABV and % Proof are the same. Which they aren't.

"Someone told me that % of alcohol and ABV content are 2 different things. So, a bottle of vodka is 40% alcohol and not 40% ABV." Is kind of nonsensical because ABV is actually a % measurement. So I took it that he meant % Proof (The normal way of measuring the content in spirits).

Hope that's cleared things up a bit further.

Barbarossa
07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
So 5% ABV means that in 300 ml of lager, there are 15 ml of alcohol. That makes sence.

But "percentage proof" is something completely different, and a little bit mental, that nobody has defined yet, except you said it's about a ratio of 7:4 or something. :idunno:

Biggles
07-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Some drinks come in pint glasses and some in small glasses. As a rule I have found it wise not to ask for a pint of the stuff that comes in little glasses.

How hard is this? :unsure:

lynx
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Jimbob asked for the difference between % of alcohol and ABV.
He didn't mention degrees proof, which is a completely different beast.

Pessimists say a glass is half empty.
Optimists say a glass is half full.
Pragmatists drain the glass and get a full one. :beer:

Barbarossa
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_%28alcohol%29

Clear as a Bell(s) then. :wacko:

By the way, I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Chip Monk
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
He never even mentioned ABW.

Like I said the question was pishly worded. ABV is a % measure already so it didn't make any sense. Anywhere other than the US the normal measurements are % proof and ABV, so I assumed that's what he wanted to compare. lynx took it as meaning a comparison with ABW. Both are reasonable assumptions given the circumstances. Mine being the better one though.

jimbo12345
07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
i went with abv. The whole ABW, as interesting as it was, confused me a little. Like celsius/farhenheit conversions.

i was talking about a bottle of biajiu, a nasty chinese liquor. The one in question had 65 ABV written on the bottle, so needed to figure out what it meant (for a project).

For those of you who've never tried baijiu, don't. It's the sweat of the devil, and the hangover is something no one should ever experience. The Scots might like it.

Sextent
07-09-2007, 05:04 PM
65 ABV :lol: That's fucking mental.

jimbo12345
07-09-2007, 05:11 PM
And they don´t mix it. it burns all the way until you piss it out.

jimbo12345
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
and costs about 70p a litre. That´s just madness.