PDA

View Full Version : Torrentbytes Database Stolen

Roark
07-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Torrentbytes IRC earlier today:

<&> TORRENTBYTES UPDATE:
<&> entire database is gone, has been stolen by Windpaw, who took the DB away and refuses to give it back no matter what
<&> if you wanna kill someone, kill him
<&> since there is no DB anymore we`re going to start over
<&> that means new stats, 0 upload, 0 download, 0 ratio
<&> currently the coders are working on the source code, upgrading it with newer security
<&> once done, the site will be put online again
<&> that`s kinda it for you since there`s not much more info available right now
<&> we`ll keep you informed about when and how things will be taken care of
<&> so remember, if you wanna shoot someone: shoot Windpaw...

<&> DDOS attacks came from [Windpaw] with the TB server >.<

<> & m8,, whats winpaws resoning for not handing over backups files?
<&> he wants us to make a fool of ourselves [lie for him]
<> how so ?
<&> so that he can return so that everyone will be: Windpaw, our hero <3

<> & just wondering,, why has no temp site been arrected >? staff fights ? or staff say no till TB returns ?>
<&> security and protection is an issue
<> arr,, so testing, cooolness
<&> if we use the old code it`s way to easy to hack and take us down, the old code is being upgraded and tuned
<> thats where winpaw was good,, he new his shit
<&> plus certain uploaders only wanna upload if we can guarantee their safety

poliser
07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
wow, bad news :/
where is this information coming from?

and thx ofcourse :)

fatma
07-09-2007, 12:01 AM
oh no, it will take them two decades to code again that sign-up page, and three decades to gather all israeli IPs in order to ban them

ohmboys
07-09-2007, 03:07 AM
it was never a problem with proxy :)
maybe this time they wont ban israel ip range

Demigod
07-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Wonder when they'll be back up...

Superkiller
07-09-2007, 04:47 AM
oh sad news about the databases
where are the back-ups when u need then

qwertypoiuyt
07-09-2007, 05:29 AM
I just worked my way up to power user too before they bugged out :(

Oh well. Now I gots me a seedbox.

KSA
07-09-2007, 06:01 AM
I just worked my way up to power user too before they bugged out :(

Me too m8, what a waste of time :ermm:

limpdickkid
07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
I'd been a member there for ages, like 2 and a half or 3 years i think. I felt there community was excellent. There were always people willing to help if you asked nicely. And it sucks that the stats will be zeroed, especially now that I've finished University. I use to use Uni connection like crazy, I got upto 1.2TB there. I know shame on me for using Uni connection like that. :)

Daniel
07-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Sounds very childish to me. I was never a member at Torrentbytes but if they can get their database stolen from someone who I assume is a member of the team, they can't have been very professional ;)

mss74
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Thats a real shame, good luck in building the new site.

Beenieman
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
only just got in a week before it died lol.. atleast everyones ratio will be the same when it starts, until those seedbox's kick in :(

I hope it's back soon though, goodluck.

Tiffany
07-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Stay away from sites like these with little to no security measures! Even TL isn't as newbie as this.

fatma
07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Stay away from sites like these with little to no security measures! Even TL isn't as newbie as this.

word.

ACiD
07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Have they not heard of regular backups in different locations?! Pretty scary... I think the site owners are to blame for being so careless. Majority of the sites I know of backup AT LEAST once a day and normally by more than one person in different locations (Sysops/admins usually do the backups)..

L3ST
07-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Now get your spam filters ready for some action. A database like Torrentbytes's is worth a couple of grand and whoever wants to promote his website/product won't buy the database just for general knowledge.

Jaits
07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Have they not heard of regular backups in different locations?! Pretty scary... I think the site owners are to blame for being so careless. Majority of the sites I know of backup AT LEAST once a day and normally by more than one person in different locations (Sysops/admins usually do the backups)..

agreed... we have a daily cron script that does a db backup once a day every day and once a week it offloads the newest backup to 2 offline servers...

FireMan
07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Hello people,
I wait that it comes back soon and it brings new surprises.:yup:

:gunsmilie

Gish
07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
just goes to show... you can only count on yourself and yourself only.
thats the problem with the internet as I see it. you never now who is a good guy and who is a bad guy:ph34r:

TheFoX
07-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Seems strange that ALL the backups were owned by just the one guy, especially when you consider how long TBy has been going for.

Dr_Green_Thumb
07-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Now get your spam filters ready for some action. A database like Torrentbytes's is worth a couple of grand and whoever wants to promote his website/product won't buy the database just for general knowledge.

exactly, glad i got pruned for inactivity before this stolen DB ran off with my info.

necromantic
07-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vizouk
07-10-2007, 10:54 PM
i have th db and download it today morning but i i'm happy a new chance thanks man. do it with sct and ftn..lol and uk-t and hpj.cc

FireMan
07-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Good to all,
somebody knows when the TBytes comes back to the asset. I wait that it does not delay very, I know that it takes time to program new security and everything the remaining portion.;)

I wait that somebody of the staff has some backup kept of the DB.:yup:

naragorn
07-11-2007, 12:02 AM
God damnit, how couldn they update the freakin database? what where they thinking, im not going back to torrentbytes when they return.

What is the top torrent site at the moment? i dont use torrent that much anymore, but still wanna be looking at that torrent site so i can register if i get the chance.

PS: Who is windpaw anyway??

Bo$$4Life
07-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Dang....sorry to hear that bad news! hope security titen up! is there nothing do-a-ble like taking or threaten for leagal action :/ just my 2 cents!

vizouk
07-11-2007, 08:15 AM
a big break in security is many tracker have a phpbb forum with the same account information off the tracker its very easy stollen the db of a phpbb..
:blink:. they could use a vbullentin its more secure than phpbb forum

Spanky
07-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Windpaw was an ex Moderator, I think they took him on board to try and stop the Ddos attacks. But reading the first post in this thread, Windpaw was creating the Ddos attacks himself?

The Admins are to blame, 1 of them was inactive for at least 3 weeks before TB went down. The other one just seems to deal with the donations. The site went right downhill after these 2 were promoted and Maxthepuppy stepped down.

Yolgezer
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
It's really a shame for them. I mean one of the best torrent sites ever got hacked by their mods. How could they trust him?

TheFoX
07-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Has it been confirmed that Windpaw was the attacker, and has stolen the database? Who posted these details initially?

phrenzy
07-11-2007, 01:21 PM
The site went downhill like 6months ago.

dano24
07-11-2007, 02:17 PM
all iv gotta say is *backup* *backup* use it in future

KevinGarnet
07-11-2007, 04:11 PM
it's really nice tracker.. i like it.. and this is bad news i think.. i hope everything will be fine soon..

Alien5
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
the best part of the site were the forums

Melvinmeow
07-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Seems strange that ALL the backups were owned by just the one guy, especially when you consider how long TBy has been going for.

TBH way I was told... they never made backups of their code or db.
(If they did they were stored on the same server)
Think they relied on their coding skills too much and didnt make colo backups.
Hell even making a backup once a week and sending it elsewhere would be something.

Roark
07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Has it been confirmed that Windpaw was the attacker, and has stolen the database? Who posted these details initially?

Yes, they were posted in the TBy IRC by DXC. The topic in their IRC room continues to say this, though it doesn't mention Windpaw by name.

No ETA on their return atm.

The best thing this site had going for them was their history. I doubt it's going to be much of a site anymore.

tomerso
07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
what a shame.... it was agreat site...

FireMan
07-11-2007, 10:40 PM
The staff is to work to put the site on-line. We go to wait to see in what it goes to give.:)

y7deluxe
07-12-2007, 08:15 AM

tominaomi
07-12-2007, 08:21 AM
It was good site

iNSOMNiA
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Yea that's pretty scary indeed, i wudn't like to be uploader over there :mellow:

agreed... we have a daily cron script that does a db backup once a day every day and once a week it offloads the newest backup to 2 offline servers... I hope you have nothing to do with that JAits :rolleyes:

L3ST
07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
It was good site
May it rest in peace.

yerlo
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
its bad news for us,i was building a good ratio there... :(

007™
07-12-2007, 11:42 PM
great ready for some spamming ;)