PDA

View Full Version : why do you care about pretime?

kayvanblue
07-09-2007, 02:09 AM
I wish I would understand what is all this fuzz about!:01:

JA
07-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Its very easy to understand..

Release group releases their scene shit, it gets put onto torrent sites through uploaders. How fast it takes to put the .torrent onto the torrent site is the pre time. If the pre time is 1 minute, basically it took 1 minute to get the thing on the site..

Basically, Pre-times are only relevant to those who like checking up on torrent sites every minute or so, and finding out which one "won" the race.

Anyhow, just use the "Search" function and type pretimes and a whole bunch of threads will come up.

saulin
07-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Good pre times usually mean that you'll have great speeds by the time you find out about the release because it got uploaded fast and lost of people should have it already. So when a tracker has great pre times lots of people go there first and even if you don't need to get something right away by the time you get to it it's well seeded.

Although something I have noticed is that Chronic Tracker is supposed to have awesome pre times but it doesn't seem to have many seeders. I guess is not a popular enough tracker.

That's the way I see it. Other than that I don't care if I can get something 10 minutes before at one tracker than a another tracker. I just care about how fast I can get something when I want to download it. I really don't like slow trackers. Good pre times usually mean great speeds.

WHRST
07-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Usually pre-times mean nothing to me since i only look at them on tv shows since i am not online for the rest anyway.

ceasar
07-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Well I don't care about pretime, cause so much stuff over there...

Gish
07-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Yeah... Like J.A said unless you check torrent sites every five minutes, its not that big of a deal. but of course this is one of the ways torrents sites are graded/scored.

eLucid
07-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Having a better pretime is one of the few things that separates good trackers from bad trackers. A better pretime usually means that the site has a faster seedbox on the torrent. It also gives the torrent more potential to have a greater number of seeders and leechers. It's also a race, which can be fun to watch if you are bored enough. Pretimes only really matter to me for tv shows though.

Superkiller
07-09-2007, 03:01 AM
i think pretime is kinda useless unless u are on the sites every min
but usually all sites gonna get the scene stuff anyways so who cares which site got it up first

kayvanblue
07-09-2007, 03:08 AM
oh i realy did not know that there are ppl out there who check torrent sites every min

silvertec
07-09-2007, 03:22 AM
A better pretime usually means that the site has a faster seedbox on the torrent

Not true, means the uploader sits on the channel saw the pre-ftp the release to the server got the release up quickly

All sites win the race at times anyway I look more for the community sides of things rather then pre, good forum and irc any day over a site that just has a good pre

JunelBT
07-09-2007, 04:21 AM
I care less about pre-time except for TV shows, is it too much to ask that a TV show is up for DL immediately after it aired. ;)

eLucid
07-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Not true, means the uploader sits on the channel saw the pre-ftp the release to the server got the release up quickly
Yeah you're probably right, but I thought most transfers these days were done through scripting, which basically eliminates the human aspect.

oh i realy did not know that there are ppl out there who check torrent sites every min
It's called an rss feed.

Daniel
07-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Although something I have noticed is that Chronic Tracker is supposed to have awesome pre times but it doesn't seem to have many seeders. I guess is not a popular enough tracker.
CT has certainly very good pre-times but the seedbox-to-client speed is often slower. There's not much difference anymore if I download a torrent from somewhere else with a higher speed, even if the pre-delay is some minutes higher.

What you should care about is a mix of swarm speed and good pre-times. You can't foresee which tracker will be the fastest in the end so you make your choice also based on other factors - will seeding back be easier, have you had good experiences with a certain tracker, etc.

JunelBT, if you don't care about commercials, then TV rips will certainly be released faster ;) This is the only category where everyone can see and feel the delay for himself because there's a reference point when something aired on TV. Especially with the many stuff that has to be done with TV rips, I can understand delays though. Some groups like CTU release both HDTV.HR and 720p which either means two different sources or a hell of a recoding to be done. There's more to TV rips than people realize and some of those are the type to whine about faulty and nuked rips - which happens when groups try to hurry their releases ;)

Shadowfire
07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't.

As long as the torrent is on the site when I'm looking for it, I'm fine. So basically, as long as the pretime isn't too many hours and hours behind other trackers, I'm fine. I look more for content in trackers than pretime.

manutd316
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
pretime is useless

OscarWabbit
07-10-2007, 12:37 PM
im not at all bothered about pre-times.

im much more concerned with the content the site is offering, how fast the downloads are and how easy it is to seed back.

rokibalboa
07-10-2007, 01:07 PM
my whole life depends on those precious few minutes.... zomg!

FireMan
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Pretime it is not important for me.
Files more early or later goes to leave in the others trackers.:yup:

:gunsmilie

GaleaNatur
07-10-2007, 07:27 PM
i don't care about the pre times because i watch my films with greek subtitles so to download a movie i will have to wait for the subs :D

saulin
07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
i don't care about the pre times because i watch my films with greek subtitles so to download a movie i will have to wait for the subs

But you seem to speak good english :) I don't know why you need subs?

I'm latino but I rather watch everything in English without Spanish subs. In fact I hate subs. Especially on those DVD movies where is hard coded and you can't turn them off. I don't know why some groups have to sub that way.

Again I don't think a few mins make a difference in pre times. Is about content and speed people.

I don't care if tracker A got Southpark 30 seconds after pre. If it will only download at 20KB/s I will get it from tracker B that got it 10 mins after pre but I can download there at 500KB - 1.2MB/s :)

By the time I get to a TV show is either 5-8 hrs later or even days later haha.

Pre times mean nothing. Is about content and speed.