PDA

View Full Version : Install Question ( Sounds Interesting ! )

velcrom
06-18-2003, 09:50 PM
So I got my new hard drive - my expression darkened a little when I realised OEM means no box, no INSTRUCTIONS :blink:

Anyway having availed myself of the joys of Disk Management my new 40gb drive is installed and working beautifully :D - OK I'll get to the point

I now want to format my main drive ( C ) and re install Windows XP - I have ( cough ) Windows XP Pro Corporate with SP1 integrated on CD ( where did that come from ? ) - my question is this - if I wipe everything from C drive ( including the current operating system ) how do I access the set up file on the CD ?

Do I just restart the computer with the CD loaded after I have formatted C ?

I do apologise for posting what I'm sure are VERY basic questions but I am not really technically minded so I need a little help :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who reply { you mean you're still awake !! }

Lamsey
06-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by velcrom@18 June 2003 - 22:50
So I got my new hard drive - my expression darkened a little when I realised OEM means no box, no INSTRUCTIONS :blink:

Anyway having availed myself of the joys of Disk Management my new 40gb drive is installed and working beautifully :D - OK I'll get to the point

I now want to format my main drive ( C ) and re install Windows XP - I have ( cough ) Windows XP Pro Corporate with SP1 integrated on CD ( where did that come from ? ) - my question is this - if I wipe everything from C drive ( including the current operating system ) how do I access the set up file on the CD ?

Do I just restart the computer with the CD loaded after I have formatted C ?

I do apologise for posting what I'm sure are VERY basic questions but I am not really technically minded so I need a little help :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who reply { you mean you're still awake !! }
WinXP with sp1 integrated? Where'd you get that? Did some real nice guy post a copy? ;)

It's a bootable CD. Go into your BIOS and set the computer to boot from CDROM first and HDD second.

Then put the Windows XP CD in.

Then reboot.

Then enjoy yourself installing XP. B)

velcrom
06-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Congrats on your upgrade btw

Thanks for that

Go into your BIOS

Umm Something you do on boot up ? How does one get into ones BIOS ?

F2 on boot up ? Something like that ?

I promise to stop asking dumb questions :blink:

Oh and thanks also for those links btw ;)

Lamsey
06-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by velcrom@18 June 2003 - 23:02
Congrats on your upgrade btw

Thanks for that

Go into your BIOS

Umm Something you do on boot up ? How does one get into ones BIOS ?

F2 on boot up ? Something like that ?

I promise to stop asking dumb questions :blink:

Oh and thanks also for those links btw ;)
BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is also known as Setup.

When your PC boots, you'll see a "press the XXX key to enter Setup" option.
Usually XXX is F1 or Del.

Go into setup and find the boot sequence option, then do what I said.

Somebody1234
06-18-2003, 11:35 PM
And you don't have to format your drive before your boot the CD.

You see, upon bootup the CD will launch and you will then be given choices. You can partition and/or format your drive(s) right from there. Once you finish formatting the Windows setup will launch automatically.

Lamsey
06-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Oh yeah - forgot to mention that. Thanks Somebody1234.

velcrom
06-19-2003, 12:18 AM
And you don't have to format your drive before your boot the CD.

Now that is worth knowing B)

Thanks - makes the process a lot easier