PDA

View Full Version : Music And Personality

Celerystalksme
06-19-2003, 12:33 AM
What is your veiw on whether there is a link between a person's music and their personality...I for one have many music tastes and also many personalities...What do you think?

Lamsey
06-19-2003, 12:38 AM
I like the cheerful, optimistic side of rock music (Bon Jovi, Dum Dums, Def Leppard, etc.).

I like to think that this reflects my own personality... :unsure:

2nd gen noob
06-19-2003, 12:43 AM
my favourite music is rap/hip hop, but this doesn't necessarily mean i like doing drive-by's in my lodo, while sipping yak and pimpin' my ho's

in life, i am a quiet person, don't like to make a scene or whatever, so i think it's entirely possible for a person to have different musical tastes and personality

Lilmiss
06-19-2003, 01:14 AM
i like ska - and im a happy laid back person. :-" ;)

the_faceman
06-19-2003, 01:21 AM
i think there can be a big link between your music tastes and your personality, but it's probably not the case in the majority of people.

Some of the most timid people i know rock out every night to the hardest music.
Likewise, some of the most angry, aggressive people i know are into soft rock/pop.

Personally, if my music tastes are an indication of my personality i must be suffering from schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder.

I'm probably not you know.

Yes I am.....

No, I'm not.....

sparsely
06-19-2003, 01:21 AM
I prefer classical music, and I'm generally a bastard to everyone I know.

ging
06-19-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@19 June 2003 - 00:33
What is your veiw on whether there is a link between a person's music and their personality...I for one have many music tastes and also many personalities...What do you think?
if you have different tastes, you have different personalites, most people do. just they have one remarkable personality, as they like one kind of music the most. I don't know if there is a link, that's why I asked your opinions. and it's just my personal opinion about rap music, I didn't say it's bad, just some people use 80% of their time to listen to rap when they listen to music are different from those use 80% of their time to listen to punk. if they are grouped, the people in the same group has more similar personalities.

the_faceman
06-19-2003, 01:40 AM
i think that it may hold true that the "rap lovers" and the "punk lovers" for example may have similar personalities particular to each group to a degree, but that only holds for those that like those particular styles more because they want to be "cool" or like what their friends like, than those that "truly" like that particular genre.

If you really genuinely enjoy a style of music, i reckon your personality has little to do with it.

Being old and young is generally a different story, if i go by my parents reaction to my music, but thats not always the case either, my parents have surprised me with some of the new stuff that they enjoy, and by new i mean stuff from bands/artists that weren't formed while they were in their teens and 20's.

the_faceman
06-19-2003, 01:43 AM
I don't know if there is a link, that's why I asked your opinions

are ging and celerystalksme the same person? i thought it was celery who asked? Now i'm confused.....

2nd gen noob
06-19-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by the_faceman@19 June 2003 - 02:43

I don't know if there is a link, that's why I asked your opinions

are ging and celerystalksme the same person? i thought it was celery who asked? Now i'm confused.....
ging started a very biased topic which was open for flaming

lamsey closed this first topic

celery then started this topic

BigBank_Hank
06-19-2003, 01:50 AM
It really depends on how I feel as to what I listen to. Most of the time I like rock Bruce Springsteen Bob Dylan ect. I also own every Metallica album. I like all different kinds of music, rap, rock,blues whatever if its good I'll listen to it. Today I have Metallica blasting, my computer blew up and I lost all my stuff so I'm aggravated, but when I calm down I'll switch to something more quite. It just all depends.

the_faceman
06-19-2003, 01:54 AM
I'd agree very much with the "mood-determining-what-you-play" theory, I would consider different moods a totally separate thing from different personalities though, because we all get depressed, we all get happy, we all get angry etc...

Ad
06-19-2003, 02:10 AM
I lkie depressing and dark lyrics music coz I think Life sux

ging
06-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@19 June 2003 - 01:48

ging started a very biased topic which was open for flaming

lamsey closed this first topic

celery then started this topic
have to make this clear first, the topic is not biased and it's not for flaming.

lamsey closed it because he thought it's flaming

celery started this topic because he's confused

noob's confused too because he likes rap

faceman's confused too because he changed his mind.

we are all confused.
Like I said, I'm not sure if there is a link.

I can tell most scientists and highly educated people are not into rap, they make decent living. They are very intelligent. of course, some people like rap can be intelligent too. but majority counts.

Celerystalksme
06-19-2003, 02:46 AM
Celery started this topic because he thought there was a genuine question amongst all your bullshit...Note you still try and start flame wars when everything doesn't go your way...So go blow it out your ass...

Ad
06-19-2003, 02:48 AM
:flame: :flame:

ging
06-19-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@19 June 2003 - 02:46
Celery started this topic because he thought there was a genuine question amongst all your bullshit...Note you still try and start flame wars when everything doesn't go your way...So go blow it out your ass...
look, who starts flaming now?
you can't even explain just said bs bs bs.

Celerystalksme
06-19-2003, 02:58 AM
Ummm i can see who started the flame and it was you...unlike you i am not blind and can use english...so if you would kindly use some and tell me what the f*ck you are going on about...that would be greatly appreciated..

Ad
06-19-2003, 02:59 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/whocares1.jpg

ging
06-19-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@19 June 2003 - 02:59
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/whocares1.jpg
true, why did we start this topic again?

MusicChick
06-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@18 June 2003 - 19:33
I'm the same way. I have a variety of musical tastes from R&B to Metal to 80's and sometimes country. My personalities vary as well. Sometimes I'm quiet and sometimes I'm outgoing.

Lamsey
06-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by MusicChick+19 June 2003 - 07:55--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MusicChick @ 19 June 2003 - 07:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Celerystalksme@18 June 2003 - 19:33
What is your veiw on whether there is a link between a person&#39;s music and their personality...I for one have many music tastes and also many personalities...What do you think?
I&#39;m the same way. I have a variety of musical tastes from R&B to Metal to 80&#39;s and sometimes country. My personalities vary as well. Sometimes I&#39;m quiet and sometimes I&#39;m outgoing. [/b][/quote]
My brother&#39;s about as varied as you can get....

He has been known to listen to Genesis, then Mozart, then Nirvana, all in one sitting :blink:

2nd gen noob
06-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ging@19 June 2003 - 03:56
look, who starts flaming now?
you can&#39;t even explain just said bs bs bs.
i sent you a pm about this topic but you never replied...i wonder why?

couldn&#39;t think of anything to back up your argument or ludicrously biased statement?
or maybe your post count wouldn&#39;t climb if you replied
grow up, please

Ad
06-19-2003, 09:56 AM
:flame: :flam; is a big no no nooooo

Lamsey
06-19-2003, 10:10 AM
No flaming - any further flames will be deleted.

This is MusicWorld, not RantWorld.

crazy_billy_bats
06-19-2003, 10:42 AM
best artist for me for music/personality is Ian Brown. Top bloke.

Goldwheelz
06-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I like all types of music (much dependant on mood), if you had to pin me to a type it would be Heavy Rock...

As for music and personality, I&#39;m a great fan of Chris Rea B)

Ell dude
06-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Well, for a start, I&#39;m into death metal. However, I also like rock, jazz and even some Japanese Pop (think &#39;Yatta&#39;) music.

From that, you&#39;d think I was a goth. Nope. Wrong. I&#39;m incredibly laid-back, but sometimes I am easily annoyed.

Jayhawk
06-21-2003, 06:41 PM
i agree with celery why you gotta come and flame its retarded just answer the topic question or leave.

I think my personality reflects the music i listen to

Buffalo
06-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Well&#33; most of you know what I&#39;m like&#33; :D

Music: All sorts, but I&#39;m definitly a Rock man most of the time B)

Jonno B)

zacspeed
06-22-2003, 05:29 PM
I like The Levellers, & I&#39;m a dirty, scruffy b@st@rd&#33; Coincidence? :blink:

well_butter_my_arse
06-22-2003, 09:35 PM
i lsiten to all kinds these days, when i was younger and went through a few daft fazes but thankfully they didnt last. I think my best one was when i went around listeniong ti happy hardcore shit with mc ing and stuff, I wnet around fully clothed in townie gear with a cap on the back of my head :lol:. God i looked like a prick. I think poeple let the musci they listen control there lives to much these days. Some poepl i know dont like you cos of the music yuo listen to or how you dress, which i personallly thinks a bit sad. Im personally quite laid back, but my mainsteraem music is rock such as chlies and jimmy eat world and stuff.

|BrunO|
06-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Deleted

|BrunO|
06-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by well_butter_my_arse@22 June 2003 - 21:35
I think poeple let the musci they listen control there lives to much these days. Some poepl i know dont like you cos of the music yuo listen to or how you dress, which i personallly thinks a bit sad.

So true being defined by what you listen to and the way you dress is just so sad and shallow.

Im a rock man mainly, i like my messed up rock though, Primus and Tool then i like funky stuff like the Chilis and The Music and i also like Metallica Megadeth and stuff like that it all depends on mood&#33;

insanebassman
06-25-2003, 04:56 PM
This is an excerpt from my music library, both on CD and Mp3:

Feral (http://www.feralkills.com)
Slayer (http://www.slayer.net)
Primus (http://www.primussucks.com)
Sausage
Pink Floyd
Col. Les Claypool&#39;s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade (http://www.lesclaypool.com)
MIRV (http://www.mirv.com)
Megadeth (http://www.megadeth.com)
Metallica
Danzig
Black Flag
Eminem
Insane Clown Posse (http://www.insaneclownposse.com)
Down
Pantera
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Depeche Mode
Chic Corea
Dave Brubeck
Astra
Parliment Funkadelic
Jaco Pastorious
Victor Wooten
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Cradle of Filth
Dimu Borgir
Marilyn Manson
40 Grit
Chopin
Bethoven
Strauss
Bustah Rhymes
Six Feet Under
Grave Diggas
Sepultura
Soul Fly

The lost goes on...

Depending on mood and activity, I listen to one of these artists, or a combination. My personality does not reflect them all, though I am a chaotic person. I just like interesting, deep and talented music....(although some just falls into one or two of these catagories.)