PDA

View Full Version : 200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

UsenetGuy
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

Giganews has completed its third significant storage upgrade of the year which will increase binary retention day by day through the end of the summer to 200 days! Giganews continues to hold text newsgroup articles indefinitely and as a result Giganews' retention in text newsgroups is well over 1400 days.

This latest upgrade comes just two months after Giganews announced 120 day retention in binary groups and only four months after Giganews announced 100 day retention in binary newsgroups.

"This recent push to 200 days retention fits into our normal cycle of perpetual upgrades. Traditionally we haven't increased retention by as large a margin as we are during this current upgrade; however, we have decided to accelerate our upgrade cycle so that we can continue to lead Usenet and provide more value for our customers. By nearly doubling our storage capacity Giganews is investing in our service so our customers can continue to enjoy the best Usenet experience possible." said David Vogelpohl, Giganews' Vice President of Marketing and Sales.

This retention upgrade follows closely after a series of additional security offerings, utility releases, and other value additions to the Giganews service.
Encrypted Usenet Access

In late 2006, Giganews deployed 256-Bit SSL Encrypted Usenet Access over port 563, which was quickly expanded to offer support over port 443. 256-Bit SSL encryption allows Giganews customers to browse and download headers and articles in a private, secure, and anonymous environment with similar performance they would expect from an unsecured connection. Encrypted Usenet access is included with all Diamond accounts and can be added as an upgrade to all other accounts.
Retention

Thanks to Giganews' recent upgrade, binary article retention will grow from 120 days to 200 days over the coming weeks. Customers will not need to make any configuration changes to enjoy increased retention.

Source: http://www.giganews.com/news/article/usenet-retention-200days.html

groggy
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
nice to hear but the retention is getting uselessly high imo

google2
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
No kidding. I'd become a subscriber if they focused on lowering their prices. With moves like this, it won't happen anytime soon.

MultiForce
07-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Cool. I like it :D

Beck38
07-13-2007, 01:22 AM
OOOOO MMMMMMMYYYYYYYY (insert deity here)

Okay, who's taking bets on when the 365day/1year barrier will be breached?

maupassant
07-13-2007, 03:14 AM
Still have a long way to go to reach the 200 mark. Currently averages 124 days of retention per binary group.

But it will get there. Giganews ALWAYS delivers.

I never experienced any outage with Giganews.
Always getting top speed from them.
The Giganews Accelerator for downloading headers, after a shaky start, is now working perfectly for me.

Yes, it's a bit pricey. But they're the best.

Beck38
07-13-2007, 03:33 AM
Up until 2 years ago, I had one of the 'lower price spreads' for a handful of years, after keeping with ISP servers for many years before that (on dial-up, way before movie postings). But I got tired of chasing fills (but there were lots more servers selling bulk d/l's rather than 'just unlimited' which is the line today) and went with GN and never looked back.

I've always benchmarked PC costs with the cost of storage, and I still remember my first 'large' drive, 120MB scsi, in 1989, at around $1300 (with interface card). For that $1300 today, not even figuring inflation, would get one a 4TB array or thereabouts, with 750MB SATA Seagates, including enclosure.

BigH
07-13-2007, 05:55 AM
but what's the point of 200 days retention if the search engines don't keep up

Newzbin is still at 100 days, and when I asked them, they responded that they had no plans to increase

Athlon64
07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
They'll have no choice eventually. Seeing as how GN is one of the biggest usenet providers it gonna happen sooner or later.

They should think about lowing the price at least $5 to bing in new people. Their prices have been the same for far to long.

Racket
07-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Hmm, I've still waiting til nothing is ever deleted online and is always available! :)

brotherdoobie
07-13-2007, 10:02 AM
They'll have no choice eventually. Seeing as how GN is one of the biggest usenet providers it gonna happen sooner or later.

They should think about lowing the price at least $5 to bing in new people. Their prices have been the same for far to long.

It would be cool if they dropped their prices. However, most companies don't "drop" their prices for a service after its been stable for a period of time.

If anything it will go up.

-bd

gsorel
07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Great News !!!

Beck38
07-13-2007, 01:48 PM
but what's the point of 200 days retention if the search engines don't keep up

Newzbin is still at 100 days, and when I asked them, they responded that they had no plans to increase

There's the 'rub', you're exactly correct, and (one) of the reasons Newzbin (continued problems with their 'v3' is another) has become less and less of a good resource; I find myself using sites like here more, simply because, even with a way smaller user base and folks posting 'finds', I find that listings are actually MORE accurate and catch a lot that Newzbin misses completely, even though I have to trudge through the (for me) semi-useless listings of vhs-quality XVID and other recoded types (it would be nice if there were separate sections for each type of 'system', including the HD and standard dvdr, but...).

The indexing sites will eventually catch up, I remember when the listings only went back 30 days, so....

sp0ngeb0b
07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Holy f*ck. I was just about to drop them and go with usenetserver and their 100 day retention. I'm actually in the midst of their 3 day trial. Not as fast as giganews (only 2-3MB/s). I think this is going to keep me with giganews now, :D :w00t:

I agree with you Beck38, my account at newzbin recently ran out and I haven't done anything yet. I've just been sticking with here and binsearch.

erRor67
07-13-2007, 06:51 PM
The only problem there is binsearch has 120 day retention. Hell, newzleech only has 100 day retention. And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.

sp0ngeb0b
07-13-2007, 08:34 PM
The only problem there is binsearch has 120 day retention. Hell, newzleech only has 100 day retention. And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.

If you select the "show all" option when using binsearch, you'll get results greater than 120 days. I've seen 150+ for some searches.

Beck38
07-13-2007, 09:16 PM
And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.

I haven't once used the nzb's here, I always use either a search site or the built-in search function in my newsreader (uses indexing on Giganews) to generate the nzb's. What this listings here 'should' do is list the 'rar' pattern (like 'mymovie.partxxx.rar' as that's all one really needs to actually go out and generate it; I'm leary of most any 'posted' nzb's as I've tripped across too many that have had major 'holes' in them (parts listed but not actually posted).

Then the space required would be very minimal; most dvd5 nzb's are over a MB in size, dvd9's are of course double that. The listing with graphic maybe takes up, what, 10k? Maybe that's something the site operators should think about, keep the uploaded nzb around for a couple of weeks, then drop it to just the 'hint'. Then the listings could be really huge; but would need better 'organization', like I commented earlier. Maybe an idea that can be 'kicked around'.

MultiForce
07-14-2007, 12:56 PM
And filesharingtalk has like 40 day retention too. I suppose if you want old stuff you have to go back to headers.

I haven't once used the nzb's here, I always use either a search site or the built-in search function in my newsreader (uses indexing on Giganews) to generate the nzb's. What this listings here 'should' do is list the 'rar' pattern (like 'mymovie.partxxx.rar' as that's all one really needs to actually go out and generate it; I'm leary of most any 'posted' nzb's as I've tripped across too many that have had major 'holes' in them (parts listed but not actually posted).

Then the space required would be very minimal; most dvd5 nzb's are over a MB in size, dvd9's are of course double that. The listing with graphic maybe takes up, what, 10k? Maybe that's something the site operators should think about, keep the uploaded nzb around for a couple of weeks, then drop it to just the 'hint'. Then the listings could be really huge; but would need better 'organization', like I commented earlier. Maybe an idea that can be 'kicked around'.

This would be like FTD then?

Racket
07-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Holy f*ck. I was just about to drop them and go with usenetserver and their 100 day retention. I'm actually in the midst of their 3 day trial. Not as fast as giganews (only 2-3MB/s). I think this is going to keep me with giganews now, :D :w00t:

I agree with you Beck38, my account at newzbin recently ran out and I haven't done anything yet. I've just been sticking with here and binsearch.

hmm, sp0ngeb0b, I get more accurate and reliable speeds from usenetserver (5+ Mbps) than giganews. and it's cheaper. just my thought.

cyanidexxx
07-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Sounds great but I'll stick with 45 days retention at 12 bucks a month with newshosting. I really dont see need for having 200 days of retention, that would make for some lonnnnnng searches with newsleecher. If I miss something in 45 days, I'll just make a request.

Beck38
07-15-2007, 02:15 AM
This would be like FTD then?

Naw, not that... 'obtuse' I guess is the correct word. KISS (keep it simple).

sp0ngeb0b
07-15-2007, 03:03 AM
or the built-in search function in my newsreader (uses indexing on Giganews) to generate the nzb's.

What newsreader is that if you didn't mind me asking?

hmm, sp0ngeb0b, I get more accurate and reliable speeds from usenetserver (5+ Mbps) than giganews. and it's cheaper. just my thought.

That might be true. I was testing usenetserver from a 100mbps server in .eu with ~110ms latency. That might be part of it. When I go back to school here in a few weeks, I'll probably try them again since I'll have 100mbps here in the states.

Racket
07-15-2007, 04:33 AM

That might be true. I was testing usenetserver from a 100mbps server in .eu with ~110ms latency. That might be part of it. When I go back to school here in a few weeks, I'll probably try them again since I'll have 100mbps here in the states.

ahh, I sure miss those school Ethernet accounts. :01: esp internet2 networks

Beck38
07-15-2007, 08:27 PM

I've used News Rover for well over 10+ years; it has quirks, the updates have been pretty slow the last couple years (really, not that much to 'fix', there's just a couple things I'd like changed). I take a look at others occasionally, but just a couple hours with any of them leaves me deleting the things. I would say on average about 300-600GB/month transfered, if my Giganews stats are true. The machine it's on is almost as old, a P3/700Mhz/512M but with 320GB of HD. Smallest/Slowest machine I have. But does the job, leaving the 'important' work to 'others'! :D

Windy72
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
My NSP has recently reduced its block pricing and increased retention to 100 days. So I see this as a good thing from Giganews as its rivals will have to move to combat this. Giganews is the best but being an ex member I feel they are far too pricey. I for one am prepared to take a drop in retention for a price cut. I am such a skin flint.:unsure:

Beck38
07-15-2007, 10:17 PM
It all depends on what your tolerance is for missing parts, old posts, etc., and how much your time is worth. I did the 'due diligence' on several other major providers before I went with them (for a month or two) and came to the conclusion that the $10/month cost difference for the dozen or so discs I missed getting because of poor completion no matter how much time I spent searching on every server, it wasn't worth it.

Now, if one d/l's much less, then yes. I have to admit that I don't do as much as I did a couple years ago, but I've given up on the 'scene' releases and other recoded (sometimes with a large hammer) and the like pretty much.

sp0ngeb0b
07-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks Beck38, I'll check News Rover out. And I have to second Giganews' completion. I very rarely have to resort to PARS to repair downloads. While it used to be expected years ago, now it's almost a neusense to have to repair downloads since they're few and far between.

Beck38
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Beck38, I'll check News Rover out. And I have to second Giganews' completion. I very rarely have to resort to PARS to repair downloads. While it used to be expected years ago, now it's almost a neusense to have to repair downloads since they're few and far between.

I have to relate a 'funny' :P at least it is to me... I got to retire VERY early some 5 years ago, at age 50 (thank Alcatel every day!), so my time, as I explain to folks, is basically worth zero, goose egg. Had to make some financial adjustments (sold my expensive home that was literally 3 blocks from work, used the profit to buy something outright but just 3 miles away and actually nicer for my purposes right now), but the upshot is how much hassle it is was chasing the fills.

I made a 'decision' that buying (at retail) any standard def dvd's was highly stupid, and that the HD versions were at the same level of development as dvd's were circa late 90's, i.e., poorly authored, generally lousy transfers, and the players generally 1st/2nd generation pathetic. Of course, that doesn't mean the reviewers arn't gushing all over the place how 'great' the HD releases are. But no thanks for perhaps another 5 years, meanwhile there are lots of 'stuff' that won't be released in HD for years and years (there are SD dvd's releases that are just now coming out that have never been on disc, 10 years after dvd's first came out!).

So, like the Stones tune, 'time is on my side'. As long as I don't drop dead on the sidewalk anytime soon, and my health has improved every year since retirement, so... :D

BigH
07-16-2007, 03:00 PM
ah well - it looks like Newzbin is aware of the general increase in retentions and is upgrading, but no estimate of when it'll be in place

Beck38
07-16-2007, 04:19 PM
ah well - it looks like Newzbin is aware of the general increase in retentions and is upgrading, but no estimate of when it'll be in place

What they've done in the past (and I think if you read the press release carefully) is that the files dropping off into the bit bucket simply stop until the aforementioned limit is reached. So, you'll notice that the retention slowly increases, i.e., say it's at 90 days/3 months so as of today, files posted on april 16th are still available (90 days back).

Normally, as of tomorrow, they'd drop off into the bit bucket, but with the increased storage, they don't, until around November. That's how the retention increases; they can't 'go back' and retrieve things that have already been deleted, as no one has more retention than they do.

I sometimes keep the nzb's of 'important' things (usually tv show multiples) so I can go back and see with my search engine how far back things are still 'hanging on'. As of right this day, the retention appears to go back to April 8th, some 98 days, on the binary groups; that's just a estimate/guess though, the actual may of course be different, group to group.

Now I'll watch that point/file and see when it 'drops off' into the bit bucket, and that will be the cliff point at which things are being deleted; if the new news release is right, it should be around the end of October... SO we shall see as it increases!

So it's 'in place' now, will just take a few months to 'fill up'.

maupassant
07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Still have a long way to go to reach the 200 mark. Currently averages 124 days of retention per binary group.

Now at 128 days.

Beck38 mentionned News Rover. It does have an excellent search engine. It used to be far superior to Newsleecher's SuperSearch, but now, I'd say the two are pretty much even. However, SuperSearch comes via paid subscription. With News Rover, there is no subscription to use the search engine.

I bet many people would use News Rover if they could find a crack for it. But don't waste your time trying to find one.

tintin123
07-18-2007, 02:59 AM
http://www.torrentz.com/search?q=news+rover

edit: i have HAD no problems with giganews since i started to use them ages ago.

they have been the best and i have good reviews for them

as far as the pricing issue goes, think about ur downloads.

i always max out my connection 24/7 and its retention is great for grabbing 360/ps2/pc stuff

if u download alot then an extra $5 is not gonna make any dofference

ur paying for quality

+ gigganews has never been down or overcharged etc

fine as it is

maupassant
07-18-2007, 05:12 AM
http://www.torrentz.com/search?q=news+rover

These torrents are one year old and for old versions. I doubt that the crack for these will work.

Latest News Rover version is 12.3.

maupassant
09-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Now at 201 days. They kept their promise.

wickedsick
09-29-2007, 02:52 AM
Giganews! 4 life:01:

FoneFreak
10-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Yep just downloaded sonic heroes for ps2 which was 180days old ;-)

xunil
10-01-2007, 06:01 PM
They've got a 15GB trial going right now... https://secure.giganews.com/signup/survey.html