PDA

View Full Version : Lemark X1185 Problems

coldnorth
07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I am trying to figure out why a Lexmark X1185 suddenly stopped working. This printer, at one time, did work just fine but for some reason windows XP no longer sees the drivers. I attempted to re-install them and receive the message that "Spooler Service Stopped". When I attempt to restart service I get the "No Valid Ports for the driver". I have Googled this problem and see that it apparently is common and there are a hundred different solutions and, so far, I have not found one that works for me. I searched this forum for a similar problem but found nothing. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

One other odd thing. In "Control Panel" there are no printers listed under printers and the printer drivers do not show up in the "Add/Remove" programs list. Yet, the software is on the computer and listed in programs.

I should note, I have tried to restart the spooler service but still no luck and then I get a reference to the RPC.

zapjb
07-17-2007, 12:33 AM
What program(s) did you tweak, change settings & or add/remove just before this happened?

coldnorth
07-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Firefox was the only thing I can think of.

coldnorth
07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I still have not found a solution to this, anyone have any ideas?

peat moss
07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Did you try deleting the printer software and removing the printer , then reinstall from scratch ? If you don't have the software disk thats easy to get from Lexmark's site . Theres support on the site as well .

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:435:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS25910&relevance=1

coldnorth
07-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks Peat. That is going to be my next step but as I mentioned it does not even appear in the add/remove software list, and the software itself does not appear to have an uninstall option so I will have to delete it manually.

zapjb
07-19-2007, 07:21 PM
try in device manager

peat moss
07-20-2007, 02:41 AM
try in device manager

Ya Zap , he might be able to just reinstall the drivers that way too by clicking update drivers . :ermm:

coldnorth
07-20-2007, 01:26 PM
I have tried to just reinstall the drivers but because the spooling service is stopped, and will not let me restart it, they just will not install.

peat moss
07-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Its a shame you havn't sorted it yet but don't give up , printers have to be the biggest pain when it comes to add on hardware .

coldnorth
07-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I agree they can be, but surprisingly, I really have not had much trouble with Lexmark, till now. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try again to sort it out. One thing I'm wondering about when I delete the program is the registry, I assume I will need to do some editing there.

peat moss
07-21-2007, 05:24 PM
I agree they can be, but surprisingly, I really have not had much trouble with Lexmark, till now. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try again to sort it out. One thing I'm wondering about when I delete the program is the registry, I assume I will need to do some editing there.

Use a safe and easy program like Ccleaner or something like it . I like how you ask questions , your no dummy. :happy:

coldnorth
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks peat, and I can certainly say the same about many people here. I'll take a look at the program you recommend. Thanks again.

P2PAlaska
07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
First check to see if the main dependency is running "RPC" if not start it and set to auto. If Remote Procedure Call is running it may be the lexmark service:

When Lexmark printer software is installed, oftentimes it installs a service (it's called LEXBCS) upon which the Print Spooler service becomes dependent instead of being dependent on the Remote Procedure Call service (RPCSS). Unfortunately, when you uninstall the printer software the service dependency does not revert back to RPCSS.

To change the dependency back to RPCSS, open a command prompt window and key in the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command (it may take a few second for each command to be successfully processed):

net stop spooler
sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
net start spooler
exit

Hope this helps

coldnorth
07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks P2P

JOhnnY2
08-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Yo i got one of those and had a problem like u did :) lucky for u i just joined this site ! what a coincidence hey ! I use mine as a scanner now after running out of ink ! did u know that they diliberatly put less ink in ! fuckin fuckers anyways !

go start - run - then type in msconfig
then when u see the screen click on services tab !
tick hide all microsoft services !
then follow the manufactor and find lexmark !
if the service is unchecked ! check it ! to enable !

thats all !

if that doesnt work ! uninstall competely then go to program files or whereever u installed the driver and delete the whole folder !
then run an app like CCleaner and run the registry scan by using ISSUES it will clean crap on ur pc !
then get the latest driver ! i have a copy but its best 4 u to download it urself ! dont use the driver that comes with cd cuz its too old now !
i use winxp sp1 ! hope that helps mate !

Im not kidding i feel ive done this before DEJAVU :))

clocker
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Somebody is overfond of exclamation points!

lynx
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Do You Think I Should Shout At Him???!!11!?/

peat moss
08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I would of thought this problem should of been solved a long time ago .

coldnorth
09-09-2007, 07:39 PM
It is not fixed yet Peat. My frustration with Lexmark and Microsoft is at a peak. At this point I doubt I would ever buy another Lexmark printer.

JOhnnY2 your solution did not work either. No matter what I try it is all one big circle jerk. Spooler service stopped click yes to re-start, I click yes and then the same old no valid ports. I have no idea what to do to correct this problem and seriously wonder if there is a solution.

JOhnnY2, I should also note that after making the changes you suggest and re-booting, all the changes appear to have been re-set as before.

coldnorth
09-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I am getting pretty desperate for a printer, any cheap printer would do right now and I am thinking about buying one. My question, if I get a new printer could I expect the same problem I am having now? Would it be worth my while to get one? Thanks

lynx
09-12-2007, 10:24 PM
The basic problem is probably that the spooler service has been made dependent on the lexmark printing service lexbce.exe. You've probably removed this, but left the dependency.

I've found a site which tells you how to clean up the mess left by poor printer installs. You can follow the instructions if you like but you might get some worrying failures because of the service dependency. I'd perform the special lexmark steps 15 and 16 first (which will remove the dependency), then start at the beginning and go through to step 14.

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm