PDA

View Full Version : High Pitched Noise From Monitor

healimonster
06-20-2003, 03:48 PM
I have a high pitched noise coming from my monitor. It seems to be related on some level with the computers operations. It will change sometimes if I load a new page or something.

I just made it go away by turning off the monitor and turning it on again, but I am sure it will be back.

Is this the only solution?

harrycary
06-20-2003, 05:01 PM
If it is coming from inside your monitor then it sounds like the flyback transformer is beginning to fail. (I'm in the repair business) Best to start shopping around as it will be cheaper to replace then repair.

4play
06-20-2003, 05:30 PM
mine made these high pitched noises but i kept whacking it that cleared it up.

or try playing with refresh rates and resolution until it stops.

Somebody1234
06-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Try reducing your refresh rate. It sounds like you have set it too high for your monitor.

balamm*
06-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Monitor info >
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_monfaqc....tml#MONFAQC_014 (http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_monfaqc.html#MONFAQC_014)

Aside from these faq's, I used to see this in association with a "hot chassis" on older TVs , sometimes after being knocked off the pole by the jolt from the damn things.

As this guy states, it is caused by vibration. With the hot chassis condition there were a few things causing the vibrations.
High voltage arcing to the crt shield was the one that always concerned me.
It gets the shield screaming pretty good at times and, being shaped like a speaker, it's directed right at you.
The suggestions about cleaning the inside of the monitor might work because just a slight change in the position of that shield can stop the arcing completely. Which may also be the reason 4play was able to clear it up with a whack.

Just be very careful what you touch and make damn sure it's been unpluged for a while before opening it. Just the static discharging can literally knock you on your ass.

Wolfmight
06-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by healimonster@20 June 2003 - 09:48
I have a high pitched noise coming from my monitor. It seems to be related on some level with the computers operations. It will change sometimes if I load a new page or something.

I just made it go away by turning off the monitor and turning it on again, but I am sure it will be back.

Is this the only solution?
also happend to my moniter, but i made the refresh rate 100hz and it went away.
actually when i upgraded to xp.. it never happend at all with any of the refresh rates.. Only happend when i was useing Windows ME.

Neo 721
07-23-2003, 04:45 PM
I once got this problem too but it was only at startup, but then it just stopped, you can often stop it by giving it a knock.

Kiloolik
07-24-2003, 01:26 AM
Beat it till your hands hurt :D

lynx
07-24-2003, 07:54 AM
The noise you hear usually comes from a poor solder joint at the base of the flyback transformer. Any weakness in the joint is exagerated by the high frequency and high power of the transformer, rarely the transformer itself. If you know anyone who knows a little about electronics this can be easily remedied by resoldering the joints.

Hitting the monitor may give you a temporary solution, but it will actually make the problem worse and may damage other joints and components.

kalashnikov
07-24-2003, 11:15 AM
i get the high-pitched noise when mymonitor is turned on and my pc off it goes like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........

lynx
07-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by kalashnikov@24 July 2003 - 12:15
i get the high-pitched noise when mymonitor is turned on and my pc off it goes like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........
This will go away when you turn the monitor off. At the very worst it will change to
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

kalashnikov
07-24-2003, 01:22 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: