PDA

View Full Version : New comp, any suggestions? Parts listed inside

cpt_azad
07-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Well I survived Officer's training, been back for about 3 days and am in need of a new comp BADLY, we just moved houses too so its a shitstorm but anyways heres what I have picked out so far, keep in mind I'm not going for a gaming rig:

Asus M2N-E nForce570
AMD Athlon64x2 5600+
2G DDR II PC5400 not sure on brand will check into it
320GB S-ATA 7,200rpm probably WD
eVGA 8600GTS 256mb
ThermalTake Soprano Case (its quite good)
550watt PSU Antec I think

all together will cost $1020 after all is said and done. No O/S, no peripherals (no need since I have what I need).

Prices are in canadian.

Thoughts? Let me know soon, and thanks.

SHUVT
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Not bad for the price bud.

Welcome back by the way! Not as bad as you thought eh?

S!X
07-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Considering you don't want a gaming rig, this is pretty good why not go with the X2 6000+ though? It can't be much more.

Smith
07-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Why not go with a slightly lower clock processor and get the video card with more ram?

I mean, AMD's can OC like crazy can they not?

And for someone that doesn't want a gaming rig, im mighty jealous.

Seedler
07-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Drop to a lower tier Intel Core 2, like the E6600 which still OCs amazingly to a X6800 specs with stock cooler.

With the money saved, get the 8800GTS, at the very least the 320mb version.

peat moss
07-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Where are the prices from bud ? I know your in the same general location as me so just curious .

JordoR
07-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Where are the prices from bud ? I know your in the same general location as me so just curious .

http://www.genericcomputer.com

A good computer shop in Vancouver, ive used them before myself. All the package computers on their website they have ready to go if you just drop in and want it. They also stand behind their product too. I bought a computer from them a couple years ago that had some major problems with it. Turns out it was a faulty PSU and ram which they fixed and replaced free of charge within a day. Definately recommended.

lynx
07-18-2007, 09:40 AM
If you want smooth audio, or even moderate gaming, get a separate sound card. The onboard chip is only a codec, meaning that the cpu does nearly all the work. Shift most of that work onto a dedicated card, even a fairly low cost card can bring great benefits.

peat moss
07-18-2007, 01:12 PM

http://www.genericcomputer.com

A good computer shop in Vancouver, ive used them before myself. All the package computers on their website they have ready to go if you just drop in and want it. They also stand behind their product too. I bought a computer from them a couple years ago that had some major problems with it. Turns out it was a faulty PSU and ram which they fixed and replaced free of charge within a day. Definately recommended.

Theres two in the Newton area of Surrey I like , Slaco and A-Linx . Might be worth looking at for saving a few bucks or for different configs. :)

cpt_azad
07-18-2007, 06:03 PM
@ peat, yea alinx is pretty damn good ive worked with them before but im gonna give these guys a try (generic), slaco ive heard of but never actually bought from

as for switching to E6600 and buying an 8800, price is higher then i thought

S!X
07-18-2007, 09:11 PM
@ peat, yea alinx is pretty damn good ive worked with them before but im gonna give these guys a try (generic), slaco ive heard of but never actually bought from

as for switching to E6600 and buying an 8800, price is higher then i thought

Have you checked ncix's prices?

peat moss
07-19-2007, 01:45 AM
If you want smooth audio, or even moderate gaming, get a separate sound card. The onboard chip is only a codec, meaning that the cpu does nearly all the work. Shift most of that work onto a dedicated card, even a fairly low cost card can bring great benefits.

Thats a great idea that way you don't have to use the mic plug for your 6-1 speaker setup as some people like mikes for gaming . :)