PDA

View Full Version : I got this computer...output problem

suprafreak6
07-18-2007, 01:16 AM
Okay heres the deal...im unaware as the specs so far, but this computer is athlon xp...so...problem...the output comes on the moniter uptil after the bios...then just cuts off, tried multiple moniters...tried running in safe mode...it just cuts off before the xp screen comes...i was thinking its either the graphics card or ram...anyone else give their opinions

peat moss
07-18-2007, 01:23 AM
I'd be just guessing but could be so many things , video card being one of them . Too bad you don't have a Video card to swap out and try as that would be the first thing I'd do ....

Dig a little deeper and open the case make sure all the cards are seated properly , sound , vid, memory etc . You might find something loose .

lynx
07-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Does the computer freeze at that point, or does it continue to load but without anything displayed?

If it freezes, I'd suggest something is corrupted on the hdd.

suprafreak6
07-18-2007, 02:43 AM
well...the cd-rom light then stays on..if that signals anything...it stays on just the moniter doesnt show anything...

Shiranai_Baka
07-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Might be the motherboard.

suprafreak6
07-18-2007, 03:20 AM
hmm...it really could be tons of things, this sucks, and it takes additional parts to be able to test whats wrong...this is all oldschool gear so i dont have that stuff

lynx
07-18-2007, 08:47 AM
It may be trying to find one or more of the drives. If the bios has been told fixed drive details rather than autodetect then it can take a while for the bios to time-out (several minutes) if they are not correct, for example if a drive has been removed.

If you can get into the bios, check the drive details are correct, and set them right if not.

suprafreak6
07-18-2007, 07:19 PM
yes sir...will try that asap

optimus_prime
07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
if you took out cd from your drive and it still keeps that light on unplug it and try without it.

suprafreak6
07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
so there was nothing wrong in the bios...it seemed as after it turned on a few times and like got warmed up...it would go past the windows...but when its a fresh start, like after night, it just doesnt start...

peat moss
07-20-2007, 03:06 AM
Well that could be so many things , faulty PSU , bad mobo , video card fan or ? Whats left eh ? With out some spare parts to swap out your just going to drive yourself nuts , if you really what to keep it take it to a shop let them bench test and give you an idea what the problem is .

They tell you its the PSU say thanks and pay for the diagnostic's and buy a used one and replace yourself . Hey that way you know and they see these problems all the time so don't feel bad or dumb about it . Computers are suppose to be fun . :D

suprafreak6
07-20-2007, 04:06 PM
haha its not mine...and my dad took it back to give to the guy without even asking me if im done...when the lady turned it on, it booted so lol she thinks i fixed it...i feel bad

optimus_prime
07-22-2007, 12:48 AM
you might want to check capacitors on the board for any signs of deformation or leaking. if you have a spare power supply, you might want to try that too.

[edit] nevermind, i haven't seen the second page of the thread :)

mbucari1
07-22-2007, 04:02 PM
I'd suggest you reseat your ram. I've had a problem similar to this and discovered the problem was that my ram had come loose during transportation.

suprafreak6
07-23-2007, 04:22 AM
iight, sounds like it could be the problem, next time it happens ill be like yo lemme come in and reseat the ram...its reasonable and easy to fix as long as you do it before it shorts

suprafreak6
07-27-2007, 12:04 AM
guys okay so i got the computer back, you know i dont know if anyone called it...but this is what i did...i bought a new computer :lol: its a business computer they needed something working immediately and couldnt handle on and off pc's...okay so i put in the harddrive from the other computer...and believe it or not, no signal after boot screen...i got soo pissed...but hey now i got a brand new computer that i gotta give to em, and im gonna transfer their files from their old harddrive when i get it to boot ocassionally, and transfer it to there new vista...

by the way, lynx called it...

wait, so how do i know if its the harddrive thats corrupt or just a few files...because i WAS gonna keep this harddrive for my self and just put xp in so if someone can help me out, thanks

tesco
07-27-2007, 12:25 AM
wait, so how do i know if its the harddrive thats corrupt or just a few files...because i WAS gonna keep this harddrive for my self and just put xp in so if someone can help me out, thanksPlug it in as secondary drive and format it.
If the computer wont even boot with it plugged in as secondary (and booting from the old drive obviosuly) then it's faulty.

suprafreak6
07-27-2007, 01:22 AM
wait, can i get files off of it still? it boots occasionally, and safe mode 1 every 3

peat moss
07-27-2007, 03:03 AM
wait, can i get files off of it still? it boots occasionally, and safe mode 1 every 3

If you listen to Ross's advice you have a good chance . :) OOps with out the "Format" of course .

suprafreak6
07-27-2007, 04:03 AM
yeah i did that, and just burnt it...but theres no way to keep the programs that were installed :(