PDA

View Full Version : trying to find a web type network file sharing program

takagari
07-18-2007, 02:49 AM
I have the main hdd's on my network. and have a number of people on here who copy files off me all the time.. movies. episodes etc..

Up untill now I have just shared my folders.

But I would like to do something a bit more controlled. are there any programs or anyway I can setup a way for them to access a webpage internally on the network to see the files I am currently sharing.

I know I can launch a web site and individually link each file.. but thats more work then I'd like to do.
since my anime is 250 files alone. lol

any ideas? Or maybe a network on file sharing program like a kazzaa (old i know) or something like that thats spyware free

or what do you guys use?

thewizeard
07-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I have the main hdd's on my network. and have a number of people on here who copy files off me all the time.. movies. episodes etc..

Up untill now I have just shared my folders.

But I would like to do something a bit more controlled. are there any programs or anyway I can setup a way for them to access a webpage internally on the network to see the files I am currently sharing.

I know I can launch a web site and individually link each file.. but thats more work then I'd like to do.
since my anime is 250 files alone. lol

any ideas? Or maybe a network on file sharing program like a kazzaa (old i know) or something like that thats spyware free

or what do you guys use?

Try this

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lsfilelist.html

sp0ngeb0b
07-18-2007, 01:57 PM
You could just set up a FTP server. You'd be able to virtually mount a lot of your folders to organize your content. (I'm assuming you have many scattered folders across many drives)

lynx
07-18-2007, 09:18 PM
You could also set up a simple BitTorrent tracker.
http://www.google.com/search?q=create+bittorrent+tracker

If no-one else has access to that side of things then you are the only one who controls what's available, and as long as the files aren't copyrighted (or you own the copyright) it is a perfectly legal and sensible way to distribute files.

You can also control who has access to the tracker by sending out the torrent files (for example by email) only to the people you trust.

takagari
07-18-2007, 09:46 PM
the ftp has been an idea for some time. but im unsure as to a good ftp program to use for an internal network?

i tried the ls program
but it links to the files on MY drive..
how would i get it to link so the others can view it and download from any pc on the network?

thewizeard
07-21-2007, 02:11 PM
the ftp has been an idea for some time. but im unsure as to a good ftp program to use for an internal network?

i tried the ls program
but it links to the files on MY drive..
how would i get it to link so the others can view it and download from any pc on the network?

You will need some form of web-hosting to do what you require.. :)