PDA

View Full Version : Facts About µTorrent & Azureus(?)

fstrulz
07-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I came across this post from a tracker's forum...

"...uTorrent batters your hard drive, which is not meant to be battered, Azureus batters your RAM, which was made to be battered."

Experts... Fact or fiction? :rolleyes:

TheManMKD
07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
False about uTorrent (it does not batter your hdd), true about Azureus (memory eater)

Beenieman
07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Depends what they mean..

If they are refering to how it read/writes I'd say it's wrong because you can easily set utorrent to pre-allocate space etc and from my experiance using it and the fact I'm usually always playing a game online or encoding a film I can't say I've never noticed any problems with the hd when it's running.

As for Azuruas well can't say I've used it for about a year and back then it was a system hog and I remember always having to reboot every few hours to get the system responsive again.

BamZow
07-18-2007, 02:09 PM
µTorrent used to be a real pain for the HDD“s, but that was before they implemented the caching from v1.6. At least I think it was from 1.6 :P

seppypom
07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Really an application that downloads large files access your hard drive alot. crap, we better stop using it

muyoso
07-19-2007, 03:11 AM
They are absolutely right. I can attest to Utorrent battering the hell out of hard drives. I have a very fast connection, and I frequently get "Disk Overload 100%" errors in utorrent, and it basically stops my downloading and uploading for a few seconds. I have been able through settings to make it FAR less frequent, but it is very much still an issue. Having said that, I would use utorrent over azureus ANY day of the week. Utorrent may batter your hard drive, but at least you can still use your computer with it running.

Pluto
07-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Then increase the amount of ram it can use to cache.

muyoso
07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I did. I am actually running Azureus right now under OSx86, and it is pretty good and isnt using a lot of resources. I have used it under XP before, and it was insane, but under OS X its not that bad.

beat
07-20-2007, 01:34 AM
I think both batter your hard drive. As to azureus yes it is a resource hog.

Michellin
07-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Azureus uses up a hell of a lot of resources. I'd use uTorrent if it wasn't still banned. For now just stick to 1.6

zd0d
07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Azureus took a huge amount of system resources from what I can remember when I used it but that was about 8 months back, I've never had any real problems using uTorrent, my harddrive has been fine in the year I have been using it. Hope it will stay that way.