07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm pretty sure............ yes :mellow:

Gripper
07-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Seems pretty real to me ma in law.
Glad I ain't got it.

DohMein
07-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Sure is real..... I am in the medical field and this disease can be a terrible thing to live with if not controlled.......

Peace

weenden
07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
yes its real many in my family have it

Smith
07-18-2007, 11:18 PM
My granddad had it. He died. But he also had cancer...anyways. Yes..its a real disease.

Snee
07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
If you count allergies as illnesses, then yes. Otherwise, no.

castlecrazy
07-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Agreed. It is far overrated

Snee
07-19-2007, 01:51 AM
I don't know if it's overrated, but it can work like an allergy, in so far as it's an abnormal autoimmune reaction behind it. With type one, the immune system turns on the cells that create insulin, killing them, so basically it starts off as similar to an allergic reaction (when it's an allergic reaction the immune system attacks something (often harmless) coming from outside). Type two is different, though, in that the body builds up a resistance to insulin or decreases functionality in the cells producing insulin.

It's perfectly viable that someone can live a normal life with either type of diabetes (as long as you kept regular hours beforehand, the only change is that you will have to take pills (type two) or shots (type one)), so it doesn't have to cause discomfort or anything, thus it won't be an illness, if that is the case.

If there are any complications (which often happens, especially with older people), though, those may easily become illnesses.

S!X
07-19-2007, 01:55 AM
My dad says if I keep drinking pop, energy drinks and all bullshit that I'll eventually get diabetes. I'm sure he's not joking.

Snee
07-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Depends really, if it's making you fat I guess it could cause type two indirectly.

It can also be a symptom, if you have serious cravings, like, for pop and stuff.

When my little brother got type one, he drank liters of pop. When my mum made him go to the doc's, he wasn't far off from a diabetic coma, going by his bloodsugar.

S!X
07-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Depends really, if it's making you fat I guess it could cause type two indirectly.

It can also be a symptom, if you have serious cravings, like, for pop and stuff.

When my little brother got type one, he drank liters of pop. When my mum made him go to the doc's, he wasn't far off from a diabetic coma, going by his bloodsugar.

I'm not fat nor do I drink a lot of pop, I used to have energy drinks quite frequently but I've pretty much quit them now. :dabs:

Snee
07-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Then either your dad has done some cutting edge research into the correlation between a large sugar intake and diabetes, or he was messing with you.

As far as I know, no one's been able to determine exactly why people get diabetes, except that it's likely that obesity has something to do with type two, and it seems to be something you can inherit. Type one may be in part dependent on genetics as well, I can't remember. It's been almost a decade since I did medicine.

DefX
07-19-2007, 03:46 AM
Without having to look it up, Type 1 i believe is the type thats inherited and where insulin shots are needed. People are born with it and therefore cannot acquire it.

Type 2 comes from being overweight.

Snee
07-19-2007, 06:18 AM
No. Like I said there's a correlation between obesity and occurences of type two, and if it runs in the family you are also more likely to get it, statistically speaking, but you don't have to be fat to get it. No one was sure exactly what causes it, last I checked. Might be some hormone that's more common in fatty tissues.

As far as type one goes, it's possible that it's inherited, but the connection is even sketchier if so. Like I said, I can't remember exactly what they said in class (but I remember a nurse asking my brother if someone else had it in the family), so I don't know whether it's an official theory. Also, it's possible that some sort of catalyst is needed to make the immune system go awry, which would mean that you could in a sense acquire it, although it would be seriously tricky to do it on purpose, seeing as exactly what is required to trigger it is unknown.

And people are most certainly not born with type one (unless something is seriously fucked in the make up of their immune systems and/or that of their mothers), or type two for that matter.

Defy
07-19-2007, 06:31 AM
Well, diabetes is definitely not contagious, hereditary perhaps, but not contagious. Then again ones lifestyle can greatly increase/decrease your chances of becoming diagnosed with it (ex. obesity).

My father has diabetes, and although he's never been overweight nor has my family had a problem with it through the generations, he smoked quite a bit, drank way too much, and generally didn't take too great of care with himself in his younger years. He's 78 now (old enough to be my grandfather at my age) and he has a bunch of other sickness/health problems that quite possibly contributed to contracting diabetes.

It can kill you if it's not taken care of properly... so I'm going to go with a yes, it is a disease.

Mr. Mulder
07-19-2007, 07:55 AM
i know this guy who has it and he has to eat mars bars or something, glad i don't have it as i much prefer snickers :smilie4:

weenden
07-19-2007, 08:23 AM
well my mom has to check her blood sugar everyday and take pills like 3 or 4 times a day it helped caus her stroke's .................................................................................had to edit i hope i didnt caus it dooohhh!

Skweeky
07-19-2007, 08:25 AM
i know this guy who has it and he has to eat mars bars or something, glad i don't have it as i much prefer snickers :smilie4:

:lol:

castlecrazy
07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
It's all a big hoax

beki
07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
It's a very surreptitious illness.
It can destroy eyes, leg, and insides.
If your blood sugar level is very low, your brain would go to coma.
This case(when the patient still conscious) must eat sugar(the best is the glucose).

DefX
07-20-2007, 01:12 AM
No. Like I said there's a correlation between obesity and occurences of type two, and if it runs in the family you are also more likely to get it, statistically speaking, but you don't have to be fat to get it. No one was sure exactly what causes it, last I checked. Might be some hormone that's more common in fatty tissues.

As far as type one goes, it's possible that it's inherited, but the connection is even sketchier if so. Like I said, I can't remember exactly what they said in class (but I remember a nurse asking my brother if someone else had it in the family), so I don't know whether it's an official theory. Also, it's possible that some sort of catalyst is needed to make the immune system go awry, which would mean that you could in a sense acquire it, although it would be seriously tricky to do it on purpose, seeing as exactly what is required to trigger it is unknown.

And people are most certainly not born with type one (unless something is seriously fucked in the make up of their immune systems and/or that of their mothers), or type two for that matter.

Had to look it up. You're right, Type 1 is not an inborn disease. I just learned it a semester ago and im forgetting it already. Rather people are born with the tendency to develop it later in life. There are theories as to what triggers the disease later on; could be a virus or something else. Point is, nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Snee
07-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Indeed. It'll always be a fun surprise, like.

Hairbautt
07-20-2007, 03:48 AM
Just learned earlier this week my mom has it. Funny this thread came about right then :ermm:

zd0d
07-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I can't see why it wouldn't be.

Michellin
07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
My cousin has it and hopefully it isn't something hereditary!

WeeMouse
07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
We found out my wee Da had it 3 years ago.

Since then he's lost half of his right foot, most of his left leg, most of his eyesight and has fallen into a hyperglycemia coma 3 times in the past year alone. It causes him to get confused, calling my baby neice my name as he doesn't even know what year it is. He is in a wheel-chair and I had to move back home to look after him.

It's a real disease, a terrible one and one that i've been told i am likely to develop later in life.

The only good thing to come out of this is the look on visitor's faces when they walk in and there's a false leg sitting in the middle of the living room and me and Da put on shocked faces and say "not again! we put that in the bedroom! How does it keep getting out here???"

Jagarga
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
so pretty much real then.

Snee
07-20-2007, 11:49 PM
It's a real disease, but it doesn't have to be an illness, depending on the definition. It can be that too, though.

My brother has type one. It's not a problem for him, he takes shots, but it seems more like having to drink water or eat food, rather than something out of the ordinary. He gained like 30-40 punds in muscles after he got diabetes, though, but I don't think he has a problem with that either.

Something Else
07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
So how can one avoid developing it? Is it strongly tied to your diet??

Adster
07-22-2007, 12:57 PM
my father has it had it for 5 years now

hes not happy about not eating REAL food

funny thing is as a kid your told that sugar wil give you it its a load of bullshit its fatty food and shit thats the cause

Alien5
07-22-2007, 12:58 PM
you should avoid smoking :smoke: eat healthily :pizza: and take exercise :01: ....but...

Both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are at least partly inherited.

i have become Hypoglycemic a few times before when at work and not eating breakfast and doing too much exersise without eating properly,it feels as if you're going into shock.

Biggles
07-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Didn't Danny McGrain have diabetes?

Adster
07-22-2007, 02:00 PM
well.. never smoked in my life and never will

I eat crap all day but stil only way 65kgs I dont even eat any fruit maybe it wont worry me till im older?? I dont even eat breakfast!

I dont beleive in diets either I mean whats the point of them?? all you do is put the weight staight back on when the diet is over I hate when people feel the need to say they have to lose weight or need a diet

Something Else
07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Damn, I smoke, eat randomly and exercise irregularly...

Might have to fix up one day ...........

puppeteer
07-22-2007, 07:19 PM
From my small experience as a physician i think it is a serious disease,but that depends on the type of Diabetes.where type I which is insulin dependant is more serious than type II which is insulin independant(Blood sugar is regulated either by Diet control or by oral medications)
The danger of insulin is its complications e.g:Coma,Neuropathy,Retinopathy,Nephropathy..etc
but if the patient is taking his medications regularly he is less supposed to have complications.
thats it and i hope it was helpful :).

Gripper
07-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Doesn't matter how you sugar coat it,it's serious.

Something Else
07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
My mate has diabetes and he seems to cope with it well. He just, at the most unsuspecting moments gets his little kit out, pricks his finger and does a little test, and he carries an emergency sweet soft drink....He does everything you might expect from a human, pubs, clubs, football matches etc... so his at least seems quite manageable to me....

Jagarga
07-22-2007, 11:37 PM
he has niddm non insulin dependant diabetes mettilius(sp?) iddm is more serious.

Snee
07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
So how can one avoid developing it? Is it strongly tied to your diet??

You can't do anything to prevent type one, if you are gonna get it, you will, no matter your diet or anything else. As for type two, you wanna avoid getting fat, or old, like.