PDA

View Full Version : is this possible?

tralalala
07-21-2007, 10:37 AM
If I take a 4.7GB blank DVD, and do a "Data DVD" burning session while putting on it some 4 films (AVI's), will they play on my DVD-DivX compatible player?

Thanks.

mbucari1
07-21-2007, 01:02 PM
They should if they were encoded with divx

tralalala
07-21-2007, 01:21 PM
what if the file is labeled: somefil.XVID.AVI.. would that work? or would some converting/encoding be needed?

pazsh
07-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah I need answer to this question too.....

kazaa2002
07-21-2007, 07:51 PM
what if the file is labeled: somefil.XVID.AVI.. would that work? or would some converting/encoding be needed?
Hi tralalala,
I used a dvd rw, placed 4 xvid avi movies and played them on a stand alone
philips divx player.
however, depending on when the movie was originally encoded (earlier...like during the
time of early divx) the firmware on the player may not see it...example:
when I placed a older movie in between some recent ones , the player simply
ignored it and went to next movie it "saw".
some time the player will not be able to read certain brands of disks, very similiar when we were using cds as platforms for the divx movies and the cheap disks became unreadable or the reader/recorder drive simply wore out
after a year.
to answer your question......no converting/ encoded should be needed.

peat moss
07-21-2007, 08:13 PM
What a lazy bum , thats why Dvd-rw's were invented . :D

fstrulz
07-22-2007, 07:46 AM
It depends what brand and model your DVD player is... Check its website for its specifications on what video formats it can play...

My Panasonic DivX DVD player plays .avi, .mpg, and .wmv... And I usually burn different movies in one DVD-RW disk, so I could just add/delete movies in it anytime.

Something Else
07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
As long as you burn as 'iso' it should be fine, depending on the divx player capabilities. My modded xbox will play any video file off dvdr as long as it's not a 'udf'....

harrycary
07-24-2007, 11:48 PM
What a truly odd question.

Data files are data files. Depending on what types of codecs are used and whether they're compatible with your player is the true question.

Hmm, rewritable DVDs? What a waste of money. Especially since DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs are much cheaper with the added benefit of archiving the files you
choose to.

And what the hell does burning an .iso file have to do with any of this?

We're talking data files, not image files.

That being said, even though my Philips DVD player works with about any file type I throw at it, I've since upgraded to a Dlink media player that connects to my network.
No more burning anything. I just put my movies(and music, and photos) into the folders I designate to use with the server software and voila, I can
view/listen to everything right on my tv/stereo.

cheers,